Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well......Just in case anyone needs it, the ASPCA has an animal Poison Control Phone Number.

The number is 888-426-4435

They also have a "kit" you can order which is free, that has a magnet with the number on it, and the stickers to put on your house In Case of Emergency.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=petsafetypack

My emergency vet, thankfully called me back and told me what to do...but I just thought I would post that in case anyone else doesnt have access to that service.

I use the bleach tablets in my toilets, and tonight I left the door open to the bathroom and Ziris just helped herself. I called the Emergency Vet to see if I should bring her in, and they said there wasnt much I could do. You dont want to induce vomiting because you dont want the bleach to come back up and burn the trachea. So, she told me to give her milk to dilute the bleach, and I can give her some bread or rice also.

Oooooh....Ziris. It's always something.

I have never had toilet drinkers......but I wont be using the bleach tablets anymore, Just in case.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Ok....keep us posted....that is very scary! I will be thinking about her until you tell me she is fine! Thankfully....I only use organic crap in my toilets...Petey is a toilet drinker prefers it to his fresh bowl of water! Maybe it is those Euro Dobies???

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here's hoping Ziris is OK.

Mensa is a "toilet drinker" too. She checks the toilet FIRST (to see if I left the lid up) before she drinks from her bucket. I've even tried washing the bucket every time I flush the toilet and it doesn't make any difference, she loves that toilet.

I'm sure your Vet has seen this before knows what to do, and Ziris isn't the first one to think of getting a drink out of the toilet.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
eeeeks hope she is okay...we keep our bathrooms shut all the time...just cause lol.
let us know how she is doing :)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
That is really scary, I am sending her good vibes. Please keep us updated

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Oh my goodness............I hope you know everything will be ok SOON. Did the Vet give you any time frame to work with at all?

I can't use anything in the toilettes either.........Orson will choose the toilette over his full, fresh water dish everytime. And with the kids.........I can't trust that the lid or door will stay closed.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Poor you! This, I'm sure, is much harder on you than it is on the Z girl! I swear, I don't know who's given me more grey hairs, Jordan or Chi! Let us know how she's doing and thanks for posting the number and the link - something we should all have handy in our dog cabinet, drawer, closet or room :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hope she is going to be o.k. the more i hear of her the more she sounds like her cousin,now known in this household as P.I.T.A.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. She seems fine today. I guess she just has an iron stomach. Really freaked me out last night though........

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sheesh, just read this, what a silly girl, wish they knew the difference in what is bad for them but of course they don't. That does sound very dangerous but I guess she definitely has a strong stomach.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Aww, well it's great she is feeling ok now. I just stopped using the blue stuff. Kids can never shut a door.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So glad to hear that she is doing ok.

There is a lady at our DP who my husband was talking to last week that went on vacation with her daughter and their 4 dogs: Dobie, Weim, and 2 dashaunds. One of the dashaunds got a hold of a bottle of prescription anti-depressants and ate about 14 of them. They called their vet back home and was advised to give me charcoal to absorb anything that has not already bee absorbed. And when they got home they did blood work to make sure no damage to the kidneys or liver. So far so good. This made me think that we really need to make an emergency kit for Titus and Jada so I am going to put together a kit that could be used in case of emergency and put a list of phone numbers in it as well. I told my husband that we will put it in a tote so that it can travel with us as well.

I hope that she continues to do well!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t know if it is true or not......but yesterday someone told me to keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the trunk, in case a dog gets overheated. The only way they can expel heat is through their mouth, and their feet..(or that is the quickest way I guess) So if the dog is overheating, pour alcohol on the pads of their feet, it immediately starts cooling them down.

Like I said......I don’t know if it is true....but it would be worth a $2 bottle of alcohol to try it if your dog was overheated and you had no way of immediately cooling them off. It does kind of make sense...when you rub alcohol on your skin it has a cooling effect.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, one of my friends kids ate one of those toilet thingies when he was around 3 or 4 years old. The poison control center said that he would be fine.............and he was.

I'm glad she is fine. They do eat the strangest things sometimes. Louise's favorite thing to eat is the covered elastic hair bands that my 8 year old daughter uses for her ponytail.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am glad that everything is fine with her.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Geez, never a dull moment huh? Good to hear she didn't suffer any ill affects.

Emergency/FA kits are a great idea. I'll probably get laughed at for adding this but... don't forget disaster kits as well. Make one up for your pet(s) [and your family for that matter], with a minmum of 72 hours of food, meds, water, blankets and anything else needed for survival during times of emergency/disaster. They don't happen often granted, but when they do it is quick and leaves many people virtually unprepared. Sadly, pets are often the last thought of and tend to suffer for that.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I think isoprobic alcohol is better - the green stuff. We mix that with water & spray it on horses to cool them off. I am sure rubbing alcohol has the same effect. Walgreens versions are usually really cheap. Also hydrogen peroxide & water induce vomiting. I too have called animal poison control & have the magnet. Isabelle ate the mushrooms that grow in the grass & I have no idea if they are poisonous or not, but I always remember my mom telling us that we'd die if we ate them - don't know if ashe was lying or not - but I didn't want to take any chaces with Isabelle. So I was told to feed her a piece of bread & take a turkey baster and put the hydrogen peroxide/water down her throat. A word of advice - do it outside , it comes up pretty quick. The bread is to make sure it all comes up.

Glad Z is on the mend :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts