Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my puppy will be turning one on Wednesday (can't believe it!) But she is not going to be a happy birthday girl since she is getting spayed on Monday. She will be restricted from any activity for one to two weeks! No walks or anything, just being lazy! It's going to be rough to keep her calm for that long! We are getting the surgery done wiht a laser for quicker recovery, less bleeding and many other better outcomes. Has anyone else had thier dog spayed with the laser technique? I'm thinking about getting her an interactive toy for her to play with to keep her mind busy at least. Any suggestions other than a kong?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I WISH we had access to laser in my area! My 21 month old was spayed 2 weeks ago. I kept her on a flexi for one week. She was allowed walks but no rough-housing or jumping. She barely paid attention to her incision.

Seriously, I think a lot of us baby them too much. Forced inactivity just makes the dog miserable and more likely to explode at the wrong time.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
haha I plan to get Dreizehn neutered on a half birthday so I'm glad someone else thinks like me :D

I got Dreizehn one of these (the larger size) a few weeks ago and he LOVES it. It's super durable and bounces ever where thanks to the shape.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Laser is best used on animals being spayed, mature neuters, lengthy surgeries, and any surgery which needs to cut into many blood sources.

I've set up the laser for surgeries, and seen it in action plenty of times. Smells bad, but pretty neat to watch. Is your girl in heat? Does she have any pathologies in her reproductive organs? Two weeks is a long time without walks.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Kong makes a bone that can be stuffed on the ends. Oliver loves his. The only problem is they are so smart, he knows to drop it on the floor and knock the stuff out. LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
The office dog (not a dobe) was spayed with laser surgery. She was acting like nothing happened within 3 days. She didn't bother the incision at all, and though she wasn't allowed to jump she was allowed to play in short bursts by the 4th day. She has had no ill effects at all. Based on how your girl reacts, a week seems like a long time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I WISH we had access to laser in my area! My 21 month old was spayed 2 weeks ago. I kept her on a flexi for one week. She was allowed walks but no rough-housing or jumping. She barely paid attention to her incision.

Seriously, I think a lot of us baby them too much. Forced inactivity just makes the dog miserable and more likely to explode at the wrong time.
I agree with you that we baby them too much.. I thought that two weeks sounded unreal! I can possibly understand a week, but really, two? Coco is so active and hyper with exercise, playing and training, I can't imagine without!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha I plan to get Dreizehn neutered on a half birthday so I'm glad someone else thinks like me :D

I got Dreizehn one of these (the larger size) a few weeks ago and he LOVES it. It's super durable and bounces ever where thanks to the shape.
For some reason the link isn't working :( I wish we could have scheduled her after her birthday, but this was the best week for us to have it done and be able to keep an eye on her incision and healing.

ps- I absolutely LOVE Dreizehn! He is one of my favorites on the forum! and the fact that he shares the same obsession with batman as I do! lol:roflmao:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Laser is best used on animals being spayed, mature neuters, lengthy surgeries, and any surgery which needs to cut into many blood sources.

I've set up the laser for surgeries, and seen it in action plenty of times. Smells bad, but pretty neat to watch. Is your girl in heat? Does she have any pathologies in her reproductive organs? Two weeks is a long time without walks.
Thats what I've heard so it's worth the extra $50 to me! Coco isn't in heat, but she had her first heat about 4 months ago and it was awful. No pathologies or anything wrong as far as we know. She's as healthy as can be! :) I don't think we will make it two weeks without walks, one will be hard enough. I'm hoping she will heal fine and i'll be able to take her on short, leisurely walks at least.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The office dog (not a dobe) was spayed with laser surgery. She was acting like nothing happened within 3 days. She didn't bother the incision at all, and though she wasn't allowed to jump she was allowed to play in short bursts by the 4th day. She has had no ill effects at all. Based on how your girl reacts, a week seems like a long time.
I hope Coco does the same!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Be forwarned. Fei was spayed the regular way and you couldn't tell anything had been done judging by her behavior. It was hard to restrain her.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Zeena was just spayed the regular way also. She acts like nothing happened at all it's her 3rd day home... She is on half a Deramaxx 75 mg a day, I don't know if thats making her feel good or what. But I can't keep her from jumping up on the couch to save my life. They said to try to keep her from being too active (ya right) and keep sutures dry........... Hope all turns out well for u and ur baby !

·
Super Moderator
21,910 Posts
Just wanted to recommend you consider a preventative gastropexy (stomach tack) when your girl is spayed. My vet highly recommended it and I'm glad we did it for Shanoa.

It may take work to keep her quiet! Shanoa had a very large incision (because of the gastropexy) and she thought she was ready to play a day or two later. We did lots of crate time with bones, bully sticks, Kongs, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When my boy was neutered the vet said he could go for walks but only on leash, maybe it is different for a spay but no walks for that long seems a bit extreme.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Hmm...thats kinda a long time to sit around. Kyrah wasnt down for long at all. I think maybe I controlled her for two days afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts