Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still having issues with one ear not "taking". While Luca runs at the dog park with his post out it will sometimes stay up but often it will simply just flop over at the same fold. The ear feels soft at this fold and not as hard as the top of the ear, the bell of the same ear and softer than the other ear that is staying... and has stayed only after a month and a half of posting. He's now almost 10 months old and we still continue to post that ear. When its posted it stays up perfect as its supported at the fold and he can move it as a whole. Any tips / advice on this. How long can I still post, how long can it potentially take for the ear cartilage to harden?

Thanks for the help in advance.:)

Jared

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Some people post until their dogs are well over a year, and it is not uncommon for one ear to take longer than the other. Keep posting and don't leave the ear down in between to wait for it to flop. If it starts to droop at all post it back up.

Another thing a lot of people do (if just the tip needs extra support) is use breathe right strips and glue them onto the ear to firm it up when posting is pretty much done.

Reactions: JStennes

·
Registered
370 Posts
yup, i had to post till 11 months, 1 ear is still slightly lazy at times and occasionally tips in..i kinda goofed that up. blah keep trying it may come around

·
Registered
491 Posts
My DJ is 4.5 months old, and her right ear stands perfectly, but the left one wants to droop.....she's teething right now, so I blame that for the droopy ear. I didnt see much point in posting both ears, since one is doing great, so I tape a sticky-taped piece of backer rod into the left ear as support, and run a strip of tape around the tip of the ear and the base of the ear to hold it in. Might see if Breathe Rite strips will help this weekend, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts