Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brutus ears were cropped at 12 weeks and then we started taping at 13 weeks. This Friday he will be 23 weeks. At about 18 weeks his ears were standing perfectly and we were told that we were done taping.By 20 weeks, I took him out for his early morning walk to potty and his left ear had flopped down. We started back taping and it only stands maybe once every 20 minutes for about 5 seconds in between tapings. I only leave the tape off for about an hour. Do I just need to keep taping by myself or should he go to the vet. (Sorry for the quality of the pics. And the red on his ear is from when he decided to headbutt me while i was using super glue...)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
You're making us work hard to get there before you PWR.....:D

:nicejob:
:D

But yes, my boys ears were posted until about 7.5 months of age and then he went for two weeks with breathe-rite (right?) strips because the top tips of his ears were still a little weak. At this point, for you OP, I would only leave the ears unwrapped for just 30 minutes if one of them is flopping by the end of the hour.

·
ECHS Marching Indians
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Thanks:) Would anyone suggest certain tapes to use that arent too sticky, but they stick well enough. I live next to a CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Petsmart and a couple of other stores that have large selections of tapes. Just dont know which.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Ive used Coaches tape on my 2 prev Dobes and Nubis. Its easy to locate and fairly inexpensive. I bought a pack of 5 or 6 at Costco for $10 and still have a few rolls left.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
The best tape I've found is Johnson & Johnson Zonas 1" tape - but you won't find it at a store - look on Amazon.com to order.

Definitely keep taping!!

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
78 Posts
We too are battling the one floppy ear.
Our girl is almost 13 months and we STILL need to post her right ear:

The left also needs breath-rites too, as you can tell. She was moving her head as I took the picture, and the left still "gives" at the tip.

We also started on a regiment on Cosequine (Glucosamine) to give that ear some help. At over a year old, I was ready to give up, but everyone has said keep posting. In some cases (such as mine), posting goes on forever. I'm staying positive that it will all be worth it!

I second the Zonas tape suggestion. It works great and you can buy it by the box on Amazon.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
We too are battling the one floppy ear.
Our girl is almost 13 months and we STILL need to post her right ear:

The left also needs breath-rites too, as you can tell. She was moving her head as I took the picture, and the left still "gives" at the tip.

We also started on a regiment on Cosequine (Glucosamine) to give that ear some help. At over a year old, I was ready to give up, but everyone has said keep posting. In some cases (such as mine), posting goes on forever. I'm staying positive that it will all be worth it!

I second the Zonas tape suggestion. It works great and you can buy it by the box on Amazon.
My girl is 16 months old and has a floppy left ear, she was posted til 9 1/2 months .. it was doing well after an infection during her initial period, we got it to stand again then she was spayed, and it flopped. We started reposting it until she was over 9 months and I stopped as it did not matter what tape I used her ear would be red and irritated and she would fuss over it all the time. Her breeder said to keep trying after we sent her 1 year photos and to use some of the supplements but with her irritation to tape I havent had the heart to try again. The vet said she seems to have slightly weak cartlidge in her ear and that it is possible we could strengthen it but it would take a while. I gave up much to my husband's dismay. She looks so silly but its perfectly suited to her personality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts