Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Mako's posts down about 3 days ago to clean them out and see if they stood up. I usually leave them post-free as long as they stand but the max has been 3 days and then re-post.

I've been doing that for the last 2 postings. He's on his 3rd day now without posts. His right ear stands perfect and doesn't flop much even when he runs, the other one stands when he's at attention but flops right around the middle when he moves. It looks kinda weak compared to the other one.

So the questions is, do I leave them post free and wait longer to see if it weakens further or...post them up again until they don't flop anymore.

He'll be 5 months old next week...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep posting. Cartilege doesn't really strengthen fully until after teething, which happens around the 6 month mark. Better to post longer than necessary and do the job really well, than have to go back and fix it later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
OP
Keep posting. I am at the exact same stage with Xena, she's 5months old. I posted her on Sunday night, last night I removed them and her weaker ear is already responding to the posting, stands a bit better but not quite there yet. Still have a few weeks to go to really see if she's done with posting.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd keep posting. I'd also not leave them down for days. Between postings my boys ears were let free to breathe for about 15 minutes and then they got wrapped up again. Waiting for them to flop is just going to lengthen the amount of time that you post for.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Well...hum...I'm an old gezer and I don't remember taping being any shorter than 6 months. The reason being the teething for adult teeth component.

Just watch the 6 to 9 puppy class and you will see all of them tipsy. So that is the norm.

I had a male once, years ago, whom I taped for 18 months. One ear would fold over. I wasn't about to give up. I kept at it...so what; doing one dog is nothing. But both of his ears stood well after all that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts