Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week Jazz whent into the water in the creak on three sperate occasions. It's not discusting water but it's not clean either. I just let her ni to cool her self of after a long walk

Well I noticed her nice Mahogany on her legs is now no longer mahogany. It's STRAW collored. I wasnt too worried about it because I noticed it and thought maybe I left shampoo or conditioner in her legs after a bath. So I bathed her again and it didnt come out.

Today I had a friend of mine who is really into rotties look at her ad critique her for the first time. The first words out of her mouth were "OMG what happened to her mahogany"

Now are there any supliments I can try to make the collor grow back faster? It was a sudden onset and is just at the level she likes to go into the water.

I was told

Carrots, Vitamin C, and Salmon/Fish oil.

Please I need your help

This is a HUGE fault in the ring and she didnt have it a week ago

·
Registered
421 Posts
Do drains run into it? I remember playing in my friends creek and someone doing laundrys pipes just emptyed all the bleach into the creek. ruined all our clothes and I didn;t get to play in water for a long time!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
around here she would NEVER finish if it stayed that way.

Icant see how it would be diet related. It was sudden and nothing has changed in her diet. Nothing is out of the ordinary.

Kelp - Eww gross but I will try anything!

I dont think anything runs into it. You would think she would get sick because both her and Emma have drank out of it. Emma doesnt go in tho because she doesnt lik water.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Yep, like MurrayDobe said Kelp will help. Lots of people around here who show rotties use the SeaMeal by solid gold because it helps keep the black very black, and the rust, a very rich rust color.

From what I understand, You cant just give a dog straight kelp, it contains small amounts of arsenic. You have to get it from a supplement that also has seaweeds containing arsenate, which helps to take the arsenic out of the body, keeping it from being absorbed.

What kind of food are you feeding her??? Mine eat the Solid Gold Adult formula, and get the SeaMeal, and MSM, and Rommels coat is awesome. His markings are really dark compared to most dobes, but I think they are pretty

Good luck

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
What area do you live that a dog with light markings could not finish? I've seen lots do it. On the west coast.
I believe she's in Canada.

I know of more than one champion dog from Canada who had very light markings. Like Jessica, have also seen it happen in the US as well, and it's A LOT more difficult to finish dogs in this country than it is in Canada.

Obviously it's better if a dog doesn't have markings like that, but I just have never seen any evidence light markings could completely tank a dog's show career in North America.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A LOT more difficult to finish dogs in this country than it is in Canada
I dont want to start a fight but I am so sick of people saying that. It's like you are implying that canadian dobes arent as nice as american dobes. All the breeders I know all say the same thing. It wll be next to imposible to finish a dog with crapy markings.

I feed Innova Large Breed Puppy

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
JennSLK said:
around here she would NEVER finish if it stayed that way.

Icant see how it would be diet related. It was sudden and nothing has changed in her diet. Nothing is out of the ordinary.

Kelp - Eww gross but I will try anything!

I dont think anything runs into it. You would think she would get sick because both her and Emma have drank out of it. Emma doesnt go in tho because she doesnt lik water.
I just looked at some pics of her you posted May 23. I see what you mean..but again, I just don't think it was that water that did that to her..for one thing, if something in that water could bleach out the markings on her legs to that extent, it would have also done something to her black base coat.

Maybe I'm wrong, but in looking at those pics, it looks to me like parts of her muzzle are the same silvery color. It might not be a "sudden" transformation after all...it could be that's the way her coat is coming in.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
JennSLK said:
It's like you are implying that canadian dobes arent as nice as american dobes.
There are Canadian dogs that are the equal of any dog in the US. But it can't be denied, there are Canadian champions that wouldn't even be able to be pointed in this country. That's the way it is, whether you like it or not.

I was just speaking at length to a well known Canadian doberman owner at some shows just a few weeks ago. Her comment: "you could finish a black and rust goat in Canada".

·
Banned
675 Posts
The Canadian system makes it easier for a dog to finish there than in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't some excellent dogs in Canada, it just means that quite a few of the not excellent ones also finish.

One thing I would do if I were you is switch her off puppy food. She doesn't need it and I've heard Innova Puppy is very rich, I'd feed her Innova adult. That's what I've fed my puppy since he was about five months old. Sometimes a food that's too rich can burn out a coat.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are also american champions that shouldnt be pointed. You will get that with any country.

I could put points on any dobe if I stuck with judges I know and they know me.

However it is still implying that canada has poorer quality stock than the us wich is BS.

If done HONESTLY a Can CH. is just as good as a Am CH.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's only 3 1/2 months old so I am leary of starting her on adult allready.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
JennSLK said:
She's only 3 1/2 months old so I am leary of starting her on adult allready.
So was I. But since I have switched, Rommel has been fine. He is growing slower than before, but that is fine with me. He was starting to get high in the butt, and it looked funny. He has evened out now, and honestly, I think he has MORE energy now than he did on the puppy formula. It could be the change from a Lamb based food, to a beef based food (more digestable) but who knows....

Go with the adult.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
JennSLK said:
However it is still implying that canada has poorer quality stock than the us wich is BS.

If done HONESTLY a Can CH. is just as good as a Am CH.
Actually, I started out saying it was a lot easier to earn a Canadian championship than it was to earn one in the US..and that will remain true until your system requires major wins. The fact that you can earn a championship in Canada with nothing but wins under minimal competition means there's going to be a HUGE range of quality among your champions.

The best of what Canada produces is very good indeed, they're competitive anywhere, anytime. However, I've seen many Canadian champions come to this country that had difficulty even winning classes here.

·
Extraordimary
5,056 Posts
JennSLK said:
There are also american champions that shouldnt be pointed. You will get that with any country.
Being pointed isn't being a champion. There may very well be some dogs in the US with a couple of points that are not deserving. There aren't that many Dobermans who finish in the US that don't deserve to. Or, let's say, there aren't as many American Doberman champions who don't deserve to be champions as there are Canadian Doberman champions who don't deserve to finish in Canada.

[/QUOTE]
I could put points on any dobe if I stuck with judges I know and they know me.[/QUOTE]

Then why are you worried about her markings? This statement would seem to contraindicate all this worry.

[/QUOTE]However it is still implying that canada has poorer quality stock than the us wich is BS. [/QUOTE]

As others have said, Canada has some very good Dobermans that can be competitive in the US - they aren't implying anything about the quality of the good Dobermans at all. They are saying our system is easier, and it is.

[/QUOTE]If done HONESTLY a Can CH. is just as good as a Am CH.[/QUOTE]

Not always true at all. I've tried to compete with Canadian champions in the US and I haven't been overwhelmingly successful there. It's a much more competitive playing field there.

FWIW, I had a female in my first litter that had very light markings. She was pointed in Canada (3 points) and was a Best Puppy In Group winner before I ultimately decided she really wasn't show quality and really didn't deserve to be a champion and I spayed her.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I'm thru with you. I was trying to courteously explain about the system being easier making it possible for lesser quality dogs to finish. There are also American dogs who go to Canada to get a Canadian championship but can't finish in the U.S. It's an easier system. Maybe you aren't aware of the difference between the two systems. I don't know and at this point I don't care. You are simply being defensive and hostile and I've had enough of that over the years to realize it's pointless to try to explain anything to you.

"There are also american champions that shouldnt be pointed. You will get that with any country.

I could put points on any dobe if I stuck with judges I know and they know me.

If done HONESTLY a Can CH. is just as good as a Am CH."

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey Jen, can you post some pics? or were the last pics you posted the most recent? =never mind...(duh) I just looked at the date LOL...are you sure your not over reacting? Maybe the flash on your camera is causing a wash-out effect...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts