a younger puppy, in a more affordable
price range -- not needing a show dog.
Just a sweet one, that's perfect.

Thank you for suggestions of breeders
in this area.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I agree -- go with Rescue! Welcome to DT!

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Premium Member
10,606 Posts
Hi!

We are interested in getting some info
about doberman puppies somewhere on
or near the Olympic Peninsula, and we
are sometimes in Olympia or Seattle.

Our goal is to find a pleasant, well-
behaved little puppy, without formal
AKC papers is all right. Good health
and black/tan markings -- these are
our primary expectations, and ideally

in this area.
Well, Marie McCooey is in Sequim, Washington but I don't think she's bred a litter in ages. Her e-mail address is [email protected] She's been in Dobes for years and I know her from the show ring but the last several dogs she's had have not been her breeding but from other local show breeders.

I have a question for you though--have you had Dobermans in the past; how exactly did you decide that a Doberman was what you wanted.

Frankly a Dobe puppy doesn't sound right for what you are asking at all--they may be sweet and pleasant but they are rarely well-behaved. Good behavior comes with training and depends largely on the owner and the time and energy they are willing to invest in CREATING a well behaved puppy.

If I was looking for I wouldn't be accepting dogs who were not AKC registered or registerable unless I was looking at an adult rescue. In a puppy from a "breeder" lack of AKC registration often means that the litter was from non-registerable parents (parents on limited registration--offspring can not be registered) and that suggests that there was a reason that the breeder of the parents did not want one or the other to be bred.

Good health is iffy in Dobermans--they are not the healthiest of breeds and have a number of health issues in the breed that can and sometimes do cause early death. Heart problems (DCM) Wobblers disease; (CVI or cervical vertebral instability)' cancer; liver disease are the main ones we see in the breed but you aren't likely to find unregistered puppies whose breeders have any idea of what sort of health issues is behind the puppies. And even going to a good breeder with health tested parents of their puppies it still remains that Dobes are not the healthiest of breeds.

If you are looking for a black and tan (rust) Doberman there are many around but you might want to think about an adult rescue if this is your first Doberman--there are a good many who need homes not because of issues with the dog but whose owner died, divorce intervened or the economy forced a move into housing which will not accept large dogs (or certain breeds--and that list usually includes Dobermans).

Doberman puppies don't come well behaved--they come sweet, lovable, energetic, smart, nosey, and full of their own self worth--they are infuriating to raise at times but ever so gratifying to own when they finally hit adulthood if the owner has put the effort into making them 'good' dogs.

Oh, and a rescue will generally be much more affordable--beware of litters of unregistered Doberman puppies at very cheap prices.

Good luck in your search...

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Hi!

We are interested in getting some info
about doberman puppies somewhere on
or near the Olympic Peninsula, and we
are sometimes in Olympia or Seattle.

Our goal is to find a pleasant, well-
behaved little puppy, without formal
AKC papers is all right. Good health
and black/tan markings -- these are
our primary expectations, and ideally

in this area.
I live just south of Seattle. I can tell you that there isn't anyone on the penninsula currently breeding dobermans that I would recommend. Your best bet is to go to the DPCA breeder referral page DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral for breeders in Washington or Oregon.

There are many rescues needing homes as well and often puppies too. Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue is a great organization. Their website is Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Nancy Phillips is the SPDR rep for dobermans and will be glad to help you.

Regards,

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
babyLondon, lots of great advice given in the above postings.

Good luck with your research and search for just the right Doberman!

Hugz to you and yours! :)

Check out the Rescue section here on DT. Some very nice Doberman in Need of homes have been listed there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts