Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family is planning to adopt a 4 month old male Dobie pup from the SPCA this week. My current dog, Lucky, is a 6 years old fixed spaniel mix. He is very submissive with other dogs. After coming to this forum I learned alot about male/male aggression. I figure that by the time the pup reaches maturity Lucky will be a senior citizen and give the pup Alpha position because of the huge age difference and his laid back personality. My father says getting a female Dobie is out of the question.

Should I go ahead and get the pup, or am I taking an unecessary risk? If I do get the pup, should I reinforce Lucky as the Alpha, or just let them work it out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A female is out of the question because I am 17 and live with my family. My dad doesnt want a female because he has a misguided belief that female dogs are more stubborn, less affectionate, and harder to train than males. .:lame: Cheesy excuse, I know. I have showed my dad books and articles about how this is not true. Unfortunately, he wont budge, and his vote is more important than mine....

Im definitely going to keep showing him that his bias toward female dogs is wrong, but for now, it looks like its gonna be a boy.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think he means human females!! I have been trying to train mine for more than a year now!

/hide

Jason
LOL you better hide! :)

My experience with male Dobes is limited to what I've read here and other web sites. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. If you're set on getting another dog, then choose a less dominant breed.
Your current dog is 6, he very well could live another 6 or 7 years - that would put the pup way past the point of maturity.
Good luck in making this decision, I know it's a tuff one. I'm sure others who are more experienced will chime in with their thoughts soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts