Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to break out the snood and blankies as it's getting very cold down here in south Florida. Last night was 43 and tonight's going to be 38! My husband said that I am not allowed to walk her outside with the snood on. He says it makes her look like an old lady and all she'd need is a bag to go with it. He said it would be mean, lol!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,446 Posts
Awwww--a yenta!

But those of you who employ the snood, does your dog really like it, or does he/she paw at it to remove it until he/she gets distracted by something else?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
It was 26 degrees in central PA today, brrrr. Indy wore his new snood from his SS when we went for our walk. I think your girl looks sweet!

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
My dogs think 38 degrees is pretty toasty, compared to a typical Minnesota winter. We wouldn't wear snoods at that temp!

Mine don't wear the snood unless it's pretty darn cold, or pretty cold plus wind :) They tolerate them okay, but they clearly don't enjoy them.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Awwww--a yenta!

But those of you who employ the snood, does your dog really like it, or does he/she paw at it to remove it until he/she gets distracted by something else?
Indy tried to paw at it the first time but I guess he realized it keeps his ears warm. He didn't mind it at all today.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My dogs think 38 degrees is pretty toasty, compared to a typical Minnesota winter. We wouldn't wear snoods at that temp!

Mine don't wear the snood unless it's pretty darn cold, or pretty cold plus wind :) They tolerate them okay, but they clearly don't enjoy them.
I used to think 38 was pretty warm too when we lived on the east coast and Lucy would have not needed a blankie under those circumstances. But I guess it's all what you are used to!

Now that we are on the west coast in sunny So Cal, our reality has changed. LOL. Lucy wore her fleece coat to training several nights in the past few months when it was probably in the 50s. We train outside now, and those long downs on cold, wet grass are awfully cold for a bare dober belly! ha ha! At least there was a whippet wearing a coat too, so we did not feel toooo silly. :)

But, if we get another "cold" spurt, I think she's going to need a new dog coat that better covers her belly! Never would I have thought I'd be buying more dog coats in California. LOL. I suspect the snoods, however, will stay tucked away in storage unless we make a treck to the mtns. :)

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
Well that photo made me smile. Adorable! Had Baron's snood on this morning for the first time. First frigid air in PA today. Melbrod, never had a problem with Baron wearing the snood. He has never tried to paw it off. One time it came down over his eyes and poor thing just stood in place like a statue until I finally noticed it. Was really glad he didn't move because he was awfully close to the pool.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She sometimes paws it off but hasn't the last few days. She even does what Baron does, pulls it over her eyes. Her head popped up from the couch and she looked like an ewok. *giggle* I'm always cold it seems (kinda skinny that doesn't help), anything below 74 and my hands are freezing, though they don't hurt or turn white. Right now it's 69 in the house (I just turned the heat on) and I am wearing: tights under jeans, knee socks, under tank, sweater, knit hat, scarf and wristies and I'm shivering still with cold hands and toes. Maybe I don't know how to work this cold weather clothing right? Can't wait to go to bed and snuggle under blankets!

Oh, wristies really help me out at work as they keep it cold in the office and I need to type. My hands sometimes get cold but I'm not stiff-cold like before and most of the time they are warm. If it's cold when I have my riding lesson in a couple weeks I can try them out doing that too. Maybe they can help someone else out?

Wristies

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I used to think 38 was pretty warm too when we lived on the east coast and Lucy would have not needed a blankie under those circumstances. But I guess it's all what you are used to!

Now that we are on the west coast in sunny So Cal, our reality has changed. LOL. Lucy wore her fleece coat to training several nights in the past few months when it was probably in the 50s. We train outside now, and those long downs on cold, wet grass are awfully cold for a bare dober belly! ha ha! At least there was a whippet wearing a coat too, so we did not feel toooo silly. :)

But, if we get another "cold" spurt, I think she's going to need a new dog coat that better covers her belly! Never would I have thought I'd be buying more dog coats in California. LOL. I suspect the snoods, however, will stay tucked away in storage unless we make a treck to the mtns. :)
Speaking of bare bellies...Mina, while she can't one-up Minnesota or Michigan temps, would like to remind everyDobe else that nekkid dogs think WV mountains are pretty durn cold, too!

High was 20^ today, with wind chills in the single digits. I think my nekkid girl is warming up to the idea of dog boots, right quick.

Whisper is starting to enjoy going under the covers, something she's never done. George says the girls are wimps.

I think the snood pic is pretty cute, but I enjoy torturing dogs with lots of apparel items :)

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
it's -22 celsius here, -32 with the windchill, thank god it's suppose to be 4 celsius tomorrow.

I'd still have shorts and sandals on in "cold" Florida weather heheh. Though I do remember when I was a kid we went to Florida every winter and having to wear a winter jacket a couple of mornings.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
She sometimes paws it off but hasn't the last few days. She even does what Baron does, pulls it over her eyes. Her head popped up from the couch and she looked like an ewok. *giggle* I'm always cold it seems (kinda skinny that doesn't help), anything below 74 and my hands are freezing, though they don't hurt or turn white. Right now it's 69 in the house (I just turned the heat on) and I am wearing: tights under jeans, knee socks, under tank, sweater, knit hat, scarf and wristies and I'm shivering still with cold hands and toes. Maybe I don't know how to work this cold weather clothing right? Can't wait to go to bed and snuggle under blankets!

Oh, wristies really help me out at work as they keep it cold in the office and I need to type. My hands sometimes get cold but I'm not stiff-cold like before and most of the time they are warm. If it's cold when I have my riding lesson in a couple weeks I can try them out doing that too. Maybe they can help someone else out?

Wristies
wickedpurple, I have the knee socks,tie up pj bottoms with a long sleeve pj top wish I had a pic LOL......I just fixed some hot chocolate...keep warm my friend!!:)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
mmctaq, I just looked at Mackinaw Island web cam and its 6 degrees........
it's usually cold here good for the oranges and strawberries to be sweeter. Keep your babies (dogs) warm :)
Sherryh - FL. weather, must be nice !!

In our part of Canada, we have a summer strawberry season of only a few weeks.
- I almost forget what fresh strawberries taste like now
(I love them in a cereal bowl with milk & brown sugar...Yum-Yum...I eaten strawberries this way, for 50 years)
No orange trees up here...lol...juicy oranges are next to impossible to buy locally / so we don't buy them any more...and I do love a good orange.

We enjoyed a foot of snowfall last night...first good dump (this winter), beyond a light 1" dusting.
- temperatures below freezing now / and Amy hates the cold
(she won't pee outside, unless I stand in the snow, with her)

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
it's -22 celsius here, -32 with the windchill, thank god it's suppose to be 4 celsius tomorrow.

I'd still have shorts and sandals on in "cold" Florida weather heheh. Though I do remember when I was a kid we went to Florida every winter and having to wear a winter jacket a couple of mornings.
Wow that surprises me a bit! Today, with the windchill it was -26 celcius or -15farenheit. I am about two hours north west of toronto, we usually get hit harder. We have had lots of snow though, that must be what's keeping it "warm" saphie is under blankets all day, if we go outside just for a pee, she is "nekkid" but if we go for a run she gets her coat. I can't find all four boots so I haven't put them on her yet. The chihuahuas and shih tzu stay out about two minutes then they are holding up paws(poor little muffins). Snow came a week late for me. From what I have heard we should have a "milder than normal" but lots of snow.
I'm sooo glad my neighbour owns a backhoe and does all of the streets driveways!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts