Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice and maybe a little hope too. I have a 4 month old male dobie and a 3 year old female papillon. My dobie plays very well with other dogs in puppy K and wants to play with the papillon the same way at home. The problem is, she has no interest in playing with him, she has been an only dog and really doesn't seem to know how or enjoy rough playing. When I allow them to be in the same room he is a terrible nudge to her and her response is to bark non stop at him until she finally gets really angry and nips his lip or his ear. This warning doesn't slow him down one bit.. he spins around and hits her with his butt, leans in to her, or reaches out to paw her. Mostly he just wants to touch her, either by placing his nose on her or paw on her.. she wants nothing to do with any of it.
I spend time each day keeping him on leash in the room she's in and walking them together with my husband. If he has a bully stick he'll leave her alone while he's on leash, walking he pulls to get to her. I really don't think he's looking to be aggressive with her, he just want to play and she doesnt.
When they are not sharing space they are separated by a gate. They kiss noses through the gate often and she even gets into the puppy play stance. When he cries in his crate she comes running to see what the matter is.
My dobie is teething and is very mouthy even with me so I really can't say I blame her. Question is.. any advice and getting them to co-exist and do you think that he will ever back off and just live with her without being such a constant pain that she attacks him? It's a lot of work making sure they are always apart in different rooms or crated and I'm just hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
She is spayed, he will be neutered at 6 months.
thanks!

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Boy, it could be the breed (Papillion). My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel just HATES both of my dobes, my pup Khaleesi at 5 months and Dexter who is 2.

The Cav is a people dog, not interested in any other dog. Wonder if your other dog is also a "snob" like my Cavalier.

Khaleesi at 5 months of age just torments Dexter the 2 year old Dobe (and she has a couple of bite scratches to show for it)...and she still tries to engage the 6 year old Cavalier. Nothing doing. Playing with another pup is too beneath his dignity.

So I just try to referee as best I can. Khaleesi is nothing but a ball of energy and trouble right now!! Like chocolate cake and mustard. Just don't mix.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
It's tough when they are this age and there is such a size difference. I think you are basically doing things right. Keeping the leash on and keeping them separated when you cannot supervise. I will only say that watch it as your puppy gets older, he may jump that gate!

You can't really do much more other than to teach your pup the leave it command. Eventually your Doberman will grow up and your little one might learn to trust him..lol! Continuing the walks together is a good idea to.

May I ask why you are going to neuter your male at such a young age?

·
Registered
793 Posts
we are going through the same thing only its with our six lb chihuahua, she loves our Dobegirl to pieces on most days then there are days when she acts terrified of her. The puppy she plays rough with her sometimes and she is so tiny,when I start to see her getting too rough i use a spray bottle with that i'll spritz on her back and tell her no bite. I rather her get annoyed with getting spritzed then to do serious but accidental harm to my little chi. They have to learn to co habitate together, you can't keep them separate forever. I try to let them work it out and alot of the time they do, but when I feel its too much I step in right away. When I can't directly supervise the play I crate our puppy. So far thats whats helping us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's tough when they are this age and there is such a size difference. I think you are basically doing things right. Keeping the leash on and keeping them separated when you cannot supervise. I will only say that watch it as your puppy gets older, he may jump that gate!

You can't really do much more other than to teach your pup the leave it command. Eventually your Doberman will grow up and your little one might learn to trust him..lol! Continuing the walks together is a good idea to.

May I ask why you are going to neuter your male at such a young age?
Thank you for all the great feedback. I am wide open to the neutering age, I have been reading the Leerburg website and his puppy K instructor both recommend six months. Leerburg says that once a dog becomes dominant there is no going back, he recommends six months to people who want a pet. I have read mixed reviews on this, he is my first dobie and I am very concerned about the potential of aggression as there are kids in and out of the house. Thoughts?

·
Registered
452 Posts
When Brie was a pup she wanted to play with my 2 yorkies but I thought her that it was not ok to play with them and to just "let them" be. She is 15 months now and she knows she can't play with them but they live in perfect harmony. All 3 are girls.
One of the yorkies is very old, mostly blind and deaf, and Brie is very careful about her and seems to understand that she needs to be extra gentle in going around the house when Lily is wondering around.
As a matter of fact because I have 2 yorkies at home Brie loves little dogs and plays very well with some of them at the dog park, the only problem is the size so we carefully monitor the play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts