Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My puppy will be 8 months old next week (pic was taken at 7.5 months) and I was wondering.... do you think it would be okay to take his posts out for about 3 hours for a dock diving lesson? (The 3 hours includes driving there and back. Alternatively, I could remove the posts once we get there.) His ears have never flopped when I've had them out of posts for 1-2 hours for vet visits, but I also know we should continue to post until at least 10 months before testing because of his long crop. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
6,592 Posts
Hi Ruger2020. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

This is just my off the cuff thought... If it were my pup and he was at 7 1/2 months with a long set of ears coming along nicely... AND I was concerned enough that I intended to post them for several weeks more, I would be inclined to limit the down time as much as possible. I would most likely take the ears down right before the lesson and put them back up right after they had time to dry. What would be the downside?

So, is Ruger the pup's name or just your favorite plinking rifle. Side arm?

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
22,190 Posts
Lovely crop and handsome boy!

I would probably take them out of the posts right before the lesson, if it were me, and then not stress about it too much until I got him back home to post them back up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with the others. I’d take them out right before and repost after I got home as long as they were completely dry by then.

also, I use to get some drops (can’t remember what they were called) that you could put into the ears then let the dog shake it out and it would help dry out the water down inside the ears. Probably mostly alcohol in it. You might get some of that and put it in immediately after so that when you do post there is no water to be trapped down in the ear to possibly cause an ear infection.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
The way his ears look now I'd be starting to leave the ears unposted after taking them down in the morning when I could keep an eye on them and repost immediately if they started to droop. And since I probably would not want posts in when a puppy was going to be dock diving (or at a dock diving lesson) I think it would be a good chance to see how his ears are doing. Afterwards I'd make sure that his ears were dry before reposting (or not if they are still standing well) If you don't take them down to see just how well they are standing unposted you'll never know.

Most of my puppies and those of people I post for are pretty much done by the same times Kansadobe's say their puppy ears are finished.

dobebug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts