Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Area we live in, is a Restricted Area, The person who makes the rules happened to drive by yesterday, and Kyro ran towards her, be minded he's only about 50lbs right now. (still a Pup) and was wagging his stubby tail, he was maybe out of the yard for 15 seconds. I called him home. She wrote us a Letter telling us to get our doberman out. because he ran up to her barking... Kyro didnt bark so thats the biggest load ive heard, because I was out there. So i wrote a letter explaining that he isnt a "Doberman" hes a "german Pinscher" lol (he's small enough to pass right now) ....
WHat really erks me is that there are German Shepard and Labs in the neighborhood, but no DObes?! ...Im So very angry right now :mad:
We'll move before we give up Ky. :emo8:

·
Registered
255 Posts
OH NO!!! I hate to hear things like that. You would think she would have enough sense to know that just about any dog might bark. I dont blame you though we had tried to buy a house before this one of course. The whole thing was messed up. I found where a house was being built, called my realter and told her i wanted to go see, so we did. I told her we wanted to put in a offer. She called the builders broker. Now mind you it was our first house as well. They said get in a offer so we quickly did so as fear of losing the house, like we did the 2 before it. Everything was great we had picked out the siding and shutters and everything for inside the house...4 months into the process...and then the builders broker laid a bomb on us. The restrictions and cov. Which everyone failed to give us. And NO DOBERMANS, PITTS OR ROTTIES ALLOWED. I was so shocked, and upset all i did was cry. We fought about gettin the earnest money back cause i was not going to give up my family pet for a house...to me that was like telling me i couldnt take my daughter to that house. Not to mention in the same development noless...just down the street, still the newer houses, a lady was allowed to have her dobe mix. Cause the house was built first and the restrictions were alittle different...to me that is BS cause if its all cherry branch housing development...then they all need to have the same rules and reg. it was such a big to do...but we did get the money back after i threatened to use legal action. It took more than a month of arguing about it to get the money back. When it was never our fault to start off with. But i can see your point and dont blame you at all. Lucky for us not gettin that house, we ended up with a better house in a better neighborhood, that has NO dog restrictions other than a resonable amount. GOOD LUCK TO YOU HUN!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Perhaps try to arrange a meeting with this individual, and sit down with Kyro and explain calmly and give a little breed education in a not condescending tone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to talk to her, I asked her why others were allowed, She had No Reply...So i'll take the cheap Road now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh i know what you mean.. we are in military houseing (gonna be buying a place off post around may or june).. But anyways.. we are only ALLOWED 2 animals.. ive seen ppl with 4 dogs and what not just out side.. but they havnt done an inspection yet and its been almost a year since the new company took over. well we arent allowed to have boxers, pits, shepards, dobermans, rotts, huskeys and a few others.. they say that they are not allowed in military houseing. but in a differnt section of the contract it says that if you have those breeds you need to purchase pet insurace which is good if you know your dog is visious(sp?) which is kinda contradicting there selves.. so we are trying to get off post as soon as we can.. since the new company has taken over everything has gone down hill.. ive seen more ppl moving off post just this year then in the 6 years ive been here.. but hay! we look it like this.. we own our own place and well here in el paso there isnt a law so to say what types of dogs you can nad cant have on your property..

·
Registered
255 Posts
DobiLove said:
Oh i know what you mean.. we are in military houseing (gonna be buying a place off post around may or june).. But anyways.. we are only ALLOWED 2 animals.. ive seen ppl with 4 dogs and what not just out side.. but they havnt done an inspection yet and its been almost a year since the new company took over. well we arent allowed to have boxers, pits, shepards, dobermans, rotts, huskeys and a few others.. they say that they are not allowed in military houseing. but in a differnt section of the contract it says that if you have those breeds you need to purchase pet insurace which is good if you know your dog is visious(sp?) which is kinda contradicting there selves.. so we are trying to get off post as soon as we can.. since the new company has taken over everything has gone down hill.. ive seen more ppl moving off post just this year then in the 6 years ive been here.. but hay! we look it like this.. we own our own place and well here in el paso there isnt a law so to say what types of dogs you can nad cant have on your property..
of course i can not speak of all military housing. But my hubby is a marine and we lived in base housing for 3 years and more than a year of it with our doberman and no one ever said anything.I do know of course they have the only 2 pet rule here too. But we did buy a house not long ago and it is great not having to deal with being right on base to be honest.

·
Registered
357 Posts
yeah.. well the animal regulations didnt matter until last year when GMH took over the houseing company here and on a couple other bases.. yeah, i cant wait to get to buy a house it will be almost like heaven lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheap Road. Saying he's a German Pinscher. She's never seen any of our dogs and we've lived here for over a year... Ky comes with me on my travels anyway.
We arent in Military houseing, its just an area were they have limits.
They iniciated them YEARS ago, and this area has gone DOWNhill since. People have "anarchy" written accross there fence, and Curtains in the window...

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
If it is in writing, you may be out of luck

CasualSeks said:
The Area we live in, is a Restricted Area, The person who makes the rules happened to drive by yesterday, and Kyro ran towards her, be minded he's only about 50lbs right now. (still a Pup) and was wagging his stubby tail, he was maybe out of the yard for 15 seconds. I called him home. She wrote us a Letter telling us to get our doberman out. because he ran up to her barking... Kyro didnt bark so thats the biggest load ive heard, because I was out there. So i wrote a letter explaining that he isnt a "Doberman" hes a "german Pinscher" lol (he's small enough to pass right now) ....
WHat really erks me is that there are German Shepard and Labs in the neighborhood, but no DObes?! ...Im So very angry right now :mad:
We'll move before we give up Ky. :emo8:

If it is in writing that Dobes are not allowed, then you may be out of luck. I feel bad for anyone in that situation, and I certainly don't agree with those kinds of regulations, but if you knew it was there and willfully ignored it than you really don't have a legal leg to stand on. You might want to start looking for housing. Be aware that most rentals won't rent to the blacklisted breeds. It is because their insurance does not cover those breeds.... and so the cycle begins.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we dont live in a Rental. Its just a Restricted Area. Im pretty sure I can get away with saying he's a German Pinscher....We're trynna build a new house soon anyway. :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Gotta just love all this outsourcing in the military, dontcha? (note the sarcasm there)
I am surprised that the base has those rule but underdstand if it's left up to the contractors to make them.
When all the BSL against Pit's came down in Germany, base was the safe haven. Although in town the dogs had to be muzzled at all times when they were out of the house, we were lucky that rule didn't carry over to the military housing units (most of which were run by the Army). Come to think of it, Minot was the same way. Pits and the "bully breeds" are banned in town but still allowed up on the base.
Of course all the bases we've ever been to have had the 2 pet rule, we've always exceeded that by at least 1 but have never had a problem. It's been my experience that as long as you are properly caring for the animals and don't allow them to become a nuisance to your neighbors, that rule is rarely enforced.
I would be careful though, especially with what you put in writing. If this is something you may want to fight in the legal system later, honesty will be on your side. That, and make sure that he is always on lead and there are no more accidents. I'm not sure how far "No, he's a German Pinscher" is going to get you... That's like the APBT people saying "No, he's not a pit bull, he's an American Staffordshire Terrier"...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a little bit different than your analogy. Im pretty sure it will Work. Kyro doesnt leave until every other single big dog is gone. Thank we'll Just move if that happen's you have to understand the IQ of the person im talking about/ and the area i live...We have one of the nicest homes in this area...Better yet my cars been broken into 4 times. If they cant take security seriously than I will. My mom works for the Edmonton Police Service, My Dad owns a Security Business, and I have a Few legal Courses under my Belt. So hopefully all turns out well, and we dont have to fight over it.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
velmadobe said:
If it is in writing that Dobes are not allowed, then you may be out of luck. I feel bad for anyone in that situation, and I certainly don't agree with those kinds of regulations, but if you knew it was there and willfully ignored it than you really don't have a legal leg to stand on. You might want to start looking for housing. Be aware that most rentals won't rent to the blacklisted breeds. It is because their insurance does not cover those breeds.... and so the cycle begins.

I agree with this and Tracy's comments about honesty is the best policy if this were to turn into a legal issue, it will not reflect well to have a history of dishonesty.

Hopefully it will never come to that, and definitely keep Kyro out of vision, "Out of sight, out of mind" type of scenario, on a leash or in the house at all times.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I agree I think you should be honest. Maybe have the woman over for coffee and show her what a great dobie you have. She just may need to get over the intial scare. What do you have to lose. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not as Simple/ Complicated as you guys think it is. LOL... you really have to know the IQ of the lady im dealing with, and bring yourself to her level. Normally im law/rule obiding, but when She's only enforcing this rule on me, when plently of people in the area have big dogs. I tend to think im being singled out for haveing Dobe! :D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You may very well be singled out because you have a Dobe. Which is all the more reason that you should take the high ground - The last thing you want is for her to associate the Doberman with rotten dogs and dishonest owners. By being honest and making sure you follow the leash rules (or whatever rules there are) you are setting a great example and one that she will not be able to find fault with no matter what. If I were you, I'd offer an apology and assure her that she'd never see Ky off lead again. Explain that it was a freak accident and although you can understand her fear and belief of the negative stereotypes, she's got nothing to worry about from now on. - Is that fair? Maybe not, but do you want fairness or do you want to be able to live peacefully with your pet?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
making sure you follow the leash rules (or whatever rules there are) you are setting a great example and one that she will not be able to find fault with no matter what. If I were you, I'd offer an apology and assure her that she'd never see Ky off lead again.
I think we all need to keep in mind that the world doesn't love our dogs anywhere near as much as we do! Each and every time our dogs appear in public, we're doing public education. That education can either work FOR us as individuals and dog owners as a group, or against us.

Believe it or not..A LOT of people would NOT be happy about any dog coming at them at a dead run, unleashed...and it's not unreasonable for them to protest that situation. I think the woman IS owed an apology, and a serious attempt to prevent that kind of scenario from happening again.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I agree, it is better to "suck it up" whether you feel you are wrong or not, if anything for the welfare of Kyro, and offer an apology also. I have had labs race down driveways at me and my dog, off leash. While clearly I could see these dogs weren't going to attack me, with tails wagging, I walked away angry, as the owners got their dogs finally away from me and offered me NO apology.

Sometimes being the bigger person can pay off. Maybe it would pay off in your case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An Apology was offered at the time of the happening, be aware she was sitting in her car, and she ran up to her, She wasnt in harms way, He didnt touch the car, nor did he bark, He was litterally out of my sight for 10 seconds. I think She's over reacting and i KNOW she'd love for him to be gone regardless, and its my house, my dog... So i'll do what I have to, to keep him :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts