Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for his 11th week celebration, we took a trip to the vet. It was looking like he was chewing on his sides and he would make himself soaking wet and I though maybe he had puppy mites or something like that. So the vet did a skin scrape and everything and came back with some bad news :sadcry:

Baine is a flank sucker....

he he...I thought it was kind of funny. I need to break him of the habit though because it is messy. I think it may be from the crate training, because as long as he appears comforable and active, he doesn't do it. He was actually doing it while we were waiting in the vet's office.

He also got his first dose of heartworm preventative. It was interceptor I believe. I made him sit and gave for the chewy tablet and when I gave it to him, he swallowed it whole...no worries about them I guess.

And one more thing...that vet trip was expensive!!!! $47 for visit, $20 for skin scrape, and $7 for the pill. Almost $75 in all!!!! :eek2:

· Banned
675 Posts
I always count myself lucky if I can get into and out of the vet's office for under a hundred dollars.

The flank sucking is more than just messy, it can make a sore on the spot the dog is sucking. I think it's a neurotic type habit, like lick sores. I had a dog who made lick sores on his legs and feet, he had a litter sister who was a side sucker. I think they had the same causes, just different symptoms.

· Still Here Despite Rumour
4,378 Posts
micdobe said:
I always count myself lucky if I can get into and out of the vet's office for under a hundred dollars.

The flank sucking is more than just messy, it can make a sore on the spot the dog is sucking. I think it's a neurotic type habit, like lick sores. I had a dog who made lick sores on his legs and feet, he had a litter sister who was a side sucker. I think they had the same causes, just different symptoms.
Yeah me too MD, usually about £50 to £60 at about $1.8 to the £, every visit without fail.

· Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm with your Micdobe, if it's under a hundred, I look again and make sure I read it right. I feel like it's my lucky day. Mine have ranged from $87.00 to just under a thousand for one visit, and then the follow ups which have bumped up that one to more to see how the dog is or isn't progressing and other meds to puff the bill up. Count your blessing village that is a little one.:)
Sorry to here about the flank sucking, does that have anything to do with a dog being taken from their mum to early. I have never dealt with it so I don't know anything about it, curious?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
waiting said:
I'm with your Micdobe, if it's under a hundred, I look again and make sure I read it right. I feel like it's my lucky day. Mine have ranged from $87.00 to just under a thousand for one visit, and then the follow ups which have bumped up that one to more to see how the dog is or isn't progressing and other meds to puff the bill up. Count your blessing village that is a little one.:)
Sorry to here about the flank sucking, does that have anything to do with a dog being taken from their mum to early. I have never dealt with it so I don't know anything about it, curious?
If it does, I'm going to borrow the mother. I didn't pick him up until almost 10 weeks old.

· just a member
3,000 Posts
I wonder if it might be related to having some pent up energy that needs to be release. Maybe alittle more exercise or play time to release that nuclear powered puppy energy. Just a thought.

Also, getting out of the vets office under a 100 bucks, like others have mentioned is heaven to me. I don't see heaven too often...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.