Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chihiro got out of the house! It was completely my fault. Jordan was outside playing with a group of friends. Chi was sleeping in here in the living room - 1/2 dead after a long walk and a frisbee game this morning. I went out to get Jordan's bike and bring it in to pump up the tires and I guess I opened the screen door more than I had thought and it caught and stayed open.
Chi was trying to eat the little caps from the tire thingies and I told her to go lay down, I heard her walk down the hall and assumed she went on upstairs.
I finished the bike and got up to take it back outside and noticed the screen door standing wide open. My heart just sunk - but I didn't hear barking, growling or screams of terror, so there was some hope :)
I called her as I was walking out the door and heard Jordan yell "she's over here momma!" And that she was. She was standing in the middle of a cirlce of 6 kids with her little nub wagging in heaven! I called her and she pranced right over - the kids were all begging for her to stay outside and play with them.
What is up with my dog? These are the same kids that she will bark at like she wants to eat if they come to the door and she's inside or if I take her out on lead. Do you think it's the leash? Maybe it's me that she's so over the top protective of?
Jordan said she had only been out for a minute or so. She said they were all sitting outside in the side yard playing with their Nintendogs and Chi just trotted up to them. At first she was worried, grabbed her collar and started to bring her in the house but Chi just sat down and looked to everyone for "luvin'". I talked to her and explained that if it ever happened again to make sure she screamed loud for me but then praised her for keeping her cool. I can't really expect a kid to drag a dog that wants to stay put that weighs as much as she does.
More and more I'm thinking it's me. Mark says that when I'm gone, Chi and Petri will both pace through the house and will be very restless until I get home. There is no doubt that they are both my dogs, they follow me EVERYWHERE, heck Chi practically jumped in the tub with me the other day.
I'm resolved to keep up with the leash work and will start taking her out more and more when the kids are around (muzzled of course). How great would it be if I could allow her to be around kids with me present and her on lead?
I know I'm overprotective. I get nervous if I see Jordan running with flip flops on, she could stub her toe or something... I'm the same way with the dogs.
I have been working on remaining calmer when people approach and that helps but I'm still hesistant to allow Chi to really meet people, even with her muzzled. Maybe I should just throw caution to the wind and relax. Worst case scenario is that she'll bark and scare someone if she's muzzled and they attempt to approach... I just think that maybe my "over protectiveness" is holding back her progress....

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I am so happy to hear that Chi was okay with the children! Although it could have been a risky situation perhapes with a bad outcome...but it wasn't and now you can narrow down and get a better understand of Chi like you mentioned. I know how hard it is to trust...I have a hard time trusting coco and I have a good reason not to trust him. It can just get so hard at times...to try to improve the way coco is...that its almost like his damage has been done...and its too late to reverse it...
Im so glad that Chi seems like she will be able to make adjustments with your help...and knowing that you gained just a little more trust and confidence in her :) I can be uptight and a worrier with the dogs and duchess too...I have very much the same worries that you have with Chi as I do with Coco...but Im extremely anal about shut doors...closed gates on the fence...I like to be in control of holding the leash...I don't care who it is that is with me it is very rare or never that I trust someone to hold on to Duchess...and to be able to control coco. I am also anal about making sure the dogs cant slip out of their collar! Especially with coco cause he likes to freeze up and avoid to walk....so if the collar isnt tight enough and he freezes up one time I was walking only a collar and no dog...luckily he still was in his frozen position so I could tackle him.
I know exactly how you feel tracy and how hard it is to find people you can trust and willing to help.
This just seems like another improvement for Chi...or if this good behavior was always there...it is a trust improvement and better understanding for you.
If you ever have frustrations or feel the need to vent if she has a bad day feel free to PM me...You would be hearing from me everyday if I shared every bad sign...or frustrating...or hardship I go through with Coco...I don't think he will make much progress with strangers ever...but Chi is a very different dog from what I have heard and I think she will overcome this "issue" Your right though...it may just be the leash thing.
I like hearing all the good updates with Chi!!!!:) keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LapDog said:
I am so happy to hear that Chi was okay with the children! Although it could have been a risky situation perhapes with a bad outcome...but it wasn't and now you can narrow down and get a better understand of Chi like you mentioned. I know how hard it is to trust...I have a hard time trusting coco and I have a good reason not to trust him. It can just get so hard at times...to try to improve the way coco is...that its almost like his damage has been done...and its too late to reverse it...
Im so glad that Chi seems like she will be able to make adjustments with your help...and knowing that you gained just a little more trust and confidence in her :) I can be uptight and a worrier with the dogs and duchess too...I have very much the same worries that you have with Chi as I do with Coco...but Im extremely anal about shut doors...closed gates on the fence...I like to be in control of holding the leash...I don't care who it is that is with me it is very rare or never that I trust someone to hold on to Duchess...and to be able to control coco. I am also anal about making sure the dogs cant slip out of their collar! Especially with coco cause he likes to freeze up and avoid to walk....so if the collar isnt tight enough and he freezes up one time I was walking only a collar and no dog...luckily he still was in his frozen position so I could tackle him.
I know exactly how you feel tracy and how hard it is to find people you can trust and willing to help.
This just seems like another improvement for Chi...or if this good behavior was always there...it is a trust improvement and better understanding for you.
If you ever have frustrations or feel the need to vent if she has a bad day feel free to PM me...You would be hearing from me everyday if I shared every bad sign...or frustrating...or hardship I go through with Coco...I don't think he will make much progress with strangers ever...but Chi is a very different dog from what I have heard and I think she will overcome this "issue" Your right though...it may just be the leash thing.
I like hearing all the good updates with Chi!!!!:) keep up the good work!
Thanks LD :)
It's so nice to have the comfort of a group going through stuff like this. I can't express how much this forum and you people have helped by just being here to listen to me vent, whine and brag :)
I'm the same way with the leash! Mark gets frustrated at times, he walks the Chihuahua and I walk the Dobe - not very manly like LOL It was the same way with Max (our corgi mix) and Storm (our pit), I always had Storm's leash, same as Chi's! But he let's them pull and even encourages them to act up, he's such a booger sometimes!
You know all of my life I've had dogs, never, ever have any of them gotten away from me (except for Baby my Sibe and the only dog I ever got to take into a show ring. I asked my brother to let her out for me once and he did but forgot to watch her. She was a typical Sibe too, no fence was high enough or buried deep enough. She was over the fence in an instant and was hit and killed before we could catch her :-( ) Chi on the other hand has "escaped" from the house 3x's now. One day she somehow managed to slip out of her collar and took a stroll around our immediate neighborhood (heart attack #1 and lesson learned to never let her stay on her tieout with a bone alone again, even if I'm right on the other side of the open window!) Then she figured out how to open the sliding glass doors (too smart for her own good, but that was heart attack #2) and now today, which was completely my fault, but it won't happen again. I swear she gives me more gray hairs that Jordan does!
I've been meaning to tell you though, I love click to calm and think that you and CoCo would probably really benefit from it. If nothing else it will give you some new things to do with him. It's helped me become more aware of my own actions/reactions too.
Part of me is kind of sad because I don't think that I will ever be able to relax completely with Chi. On the other hand, I have to love her for keeping me on my toes and surprising me daily with her antics LOL.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww Im so sorry about your Siberian! :( that also reminds me that my mom is going to canada with my grandparents...I would love to go with but I would never leave the dogs at home with my sister and my dad just cause they are always working...and me and my mom are the ones that really do everything with the dogs...I just couldnt be able to get myself to leave cause what if they forget about them outside...or forget to shut the kennel door so they stay in the house...or take them for a car ride and the risks that putting them in and out of the car. lol.
wow Chi is a smart cookie opening sliding doors! lol Duchess is not so smart! If I don't want the dogs to come into my room for a second I just have to close the door enough to be blocking her and not enough room for her to get through...she doesnt try to push it open...or even stick her head through instead she will just wait and bark at me to open it enough. haha.
Yeah I have been reading alot lately...my dog obedience book for Duch...and so When I get around to it I will buy that book. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I dont know if it is the same thing, but I will tell you this..... based on what I have seen with Rommel I think he is territorial. Not protective, but territorial.

I remember when Chi went after the Japanese Man in your yard, and growled at the girl in your house, maybe she is just territorial?

Maybe Chi knows that when she is on a leash she is "held back" so its that fight or flight thing. But when she is able to approach them on her own terms, she is fine with it? (And loves the attention!!)

I know of lots of dogs who are "crate" sensitive, approach them when they are contained in their crate, and they flip out.

I dont know, I hope that I am not sounding negative, Im not trying to, I know you have spent so much time working with her, some dogs are just harder than others I guess.

I am really glad that things went the way they did though. That would be great if she could play with the kids!

·
Registered
37 Posts
From my experience: Dogs usually protect their territory. This means that they are alert at possible intruders.
Outside at leash, it might make them alert when you tighten the collar with the leash.
I am working my dogs in schutzhund and for the dogs a tight collar means: be careful.
So I am not surprised that your dog was friendly outside without you and without lead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts