Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this evening in a dimly lit room I saw what I thought was a "booger" on the edge of Khaz' ear....like a blood spot. I go to look at it & it comes off on my fingers...and STICKS. I freaked out & flung it...later found it moving on the floor. No I wouldn't have pulled it out if I'd had half a suspicion that's what it was, wasn't there earlier today...in daylight.

NOW WHAT? We've never had fleas or ticks in our yard, am wondering if he's been carrying it around since the Kalamazoo show(we walked thru tall grass- duh).

Since I found the damn thing(and have it in a container) do we have it tested?

Does he need to go on preventatives, antibiotics or something to avoid Lyme's?
Of course I'm making an appt 1st thing tomorrow but until then my BP is on the roof. OM*G

It's been SO long since I've seen a tick on a dog, since I was a kid- that I'm just so freaked out about making a mistake & doing the wrong thing.

Advice anyone...

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I HATE ticks!! We had a foster kitten who i thought had a mole on her neck.... a few WEEKS later, i took a better look and saw legs, it was a giant engorged tick, a few weeks later we found a tiny tick on her toe. I think some animals are more prone than others. A few yrs later, she got outside and came back...with a couple ticks. The other cats escaped and NEVER had ticks, nor did the dog!!
She never had any ill effects from the ticks.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
LOL! Well, I can tell that SOMEBODY didn't grow up in the country! Traipse all day through the fields with a dog or two, poke around in the pond hunting for snakes and such, come home and pick ticks and leeches off dog and self before bed while scratching all the chigger bites. What else do kids do for fun during summer vacation???

Just breathe! It's only a tick! You don't need to see the vet... you don't need to do anything! If it turns out that they're picking up more than the occasional critter and you choose to do a topical application, that's up to you. I, personally, would not be putting crap on my animals unless there was a much better reason than one single tick.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! Well, I can tell that SOMEBODY didn't grow up in the country! Traipse all day through the fields with a dog or two, poke around in the pond hunting for snakes and such, come home and pick ticks and leeches off dog and self before bed while scratching all the chigger bites. What else do kids do for fun during summer vacation???

Just breathe! It's only a tick! You don't need to see the vet... you don't need to do anything! If it turns out that they're picking up more than the occasional critter and you choose to do a topical application, that's up to you. I, personally, would not be putting crap on my animals unless there was a much better reason than one single tick.
Heh...well my 1st spent some time in the texas hill country, (the only good thing about fire ants is they go after ticks). Never had a flea or tick ever- on my watch anyway. I've not seen ticks since as a kid our collies would get big fat grey ones which had to be assimilated.

I was reading about blastomycosis before finding it so my pathogen-meter is set to HIGH.

But...ticks carry gnarly things. I'm not a fan of topical anything either and am extremely spoiled on never having had to use them, but I don't want my puppy duppy to suffer because I let it slide yanno.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I was reading about blastomycosis before finding it so my pathogen-meter is set to HIGH.

But...ticks carry gnarly things. I'm not a fan of topical anything either and am extremely spoiled on never having had to use them, but I don't want my puppy duppy to suffer because I let it slide yanno.
Why were you reading about Blasto? It's pretty rare (although I believe that a puppy that Mary&Dobes produced acquired it), and it's got nothin' to do with ticks. Whatever you do, don't go to nursing school or you'll have the Disease of the Week every week LOL!

Ticks DO carry gnarly things, occasionally. Rachael contracted a gnarly thing (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) from a tick bite a few years ago, although I never saw the tick which infected her. I have only ever seen ONE tick on any of my animals in the thirty+ years I have been in Michigan. I would not consider preventative measures unless I began seeing them with some regularity. Seeing one and having evidence of a second in three decades does not necessate proactive measures, in my opinion.

Realistically, if I found an attached and engorged tick on Rachael right now, I would remove it carefully (without squeezing or hurting it, so it was less likely to regurgitate and increase the likelyhood of transmitting a pathogen) and make a mental note. If, afterward, she showed any sign of illness I would have her seen sooner rather than later and mention the tick. The person who runs Tick-L does preserve tick bodies in case they are necessary for diagnosis of illness, but I wouldn't bother.

If I were to find a tick just walking around on Rachael or recently attached (i.e. still flat or fairly flat-ish), I would just remove it and send it on a toilet ride. The chance of disease transmission from a tick which has been attached for fewer than 24 hours is pretty remote, and I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well we do live in the country, but I have to inspect my dogs nightly to rid them of ticks... We had a warm winter, and we've been seeing ticks since mid-Feb. I use Frontline, but the ticks still get on them a bit. I especially have to look way down in the dogs ears, ticks are great at hiding in there!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would just watch out for any funny behavior, it would be kinda silly to start an antibiotic regiment if nothing happened :) Our dogs get ticks all the time, we just pull them off, we don't get the lyme vaccine either since I have seen it been given and the dog still contracts lyme, its such a new vaccine I don't want my dogs to be the Guinea pigs. Our guys get revolution which "kills" ticks once they bite.

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here in Virginia they are everywhere!

The other night something was tickling me in bed in the middle of the night. I got up, turned on the light, and found a tick crawling on my leg!!!

Needless to say, at 2 AM I was changing sheets!

Max (dobie), my sons and myself have all gotten Lyme's disease.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I wouldn't say the tick vaccine is new. My previous dog was on a version of it 15 years ago. And my understanding is there are multiple strains of Lyme with the vaccine only covering a few of them. I know dogs and members of our SAR team have both come up positive for Lyme, so I give Ivan the vaccine and hope that if it does not prevent Lyme it will atleast lesson the effects of it should he contract it. On our last hike I pulled one tick crawling on him off mid hike, took one off of my head that night (don't think it'd attached), and found a dead one in the bed the next night. And then there were several over the course of the winter. Ugh!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
The whole thought of ticks freaks me out too. Thank goodness I've never had to deal with one, despite lots of bush rambling! (and they're supposedly pretty prevalent down here). I'm also wrapt that I have managed to keep this home flea free, despite all my recent fosters arriving with unhealthy doses of them...All praise frontline!!!! LOL I've only needed to do the one dose on each animal on arrival...and not a flea seen since!

I do have spider invasion happening at the moment though :( ...which is freaky enough. (they're nasty black widow type beasties, and when they're on the move...sadly, I cannot co-exist with them....spidey...meet shoe.) :(

Ticks would push me over the edge into madness I think.

ETA: Is anyone else suddenly scratching their head excessively, and feeling itchy all over after reading this?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I pulled 35 ticks off of Torque a couple weeks ago. Then 12 AFTER applying Advantix II. Ticks are really bad where I am. I take Torque out with me when I take the horses on hacks and of course the tall grass is the most fun to run through... The ticks are never on for long, we come back, I untack the horse, check it for ticks, then tick check Torque. Definitely gives me the creepy crawlies but he's never the worse for ware (though I do keep an eye on his behavior).

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Ewwwww ticks..... never seen one, but they look gross on TV!

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The good thing about Dobes is that their coats are short. I always go over my two when they come in from running in the woods, especially from the shoulders up. Best to run hands against grain of coat. Have a 'tick key' I picked up from the local feed store (pet stores also carry them, called 'The Tick Key', $6) and it works like a charm, removes the whole tick. Better alternative than tweezers. The sooner you find it, the less of a mark it will leave. Leave the scab that develops alone, as there will be a temporary thickening under the injured skin. The scab will form and fall off on its own. Not sure if it's their diet but have found very few ticks on them so far this year - one or two in early spring, none so far this year. No one gets the willies more than I do re: ticks, so if I can remove a tick, anyone can.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I took Bronson for a bike ride the other day, I came home, sat down on the couch. I felt a bug in my shirt so I'm talking to my roomie and reach in my shirt (right under the collar) and pull out the bug, look at it, realize its a tick and go AHH! and throw it. Right as a throw it I realize I shouldnt have done that, but it didn't go far and kill it. Then we're both freaking out. lol

I pull ticks off dogs all the time, but they are still DISGUSTING. And its not like it was running around in the fields. I was on a bike path and I got one in my shirt some how BLEEEHHHHH

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ugh ugh and more ugh! Horrible creatures, I completely detest ticks. Been lucky so far here and managed to flick them off Odin before biting him but we have become quite good at removing and then BURNING the creeptastic things! Luckily I've never had one but they drop from trees and you get them from brushing along bushes and stuff! Ugh ugh!! Needless to say I have DEET wipes for me and avantix for the dog!!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Ugh. I hate ticks. I use Vectra on the dogs and my hubby sprays pesticide around the perimeter of the yard to keep the ticks at bay. We live in the woods so there are many deer and other critters as well, so there are more than plenty of ticks around. I'm not a huge fan of chemicals but I have a friend who's a vet tech and she told me they've seen more dogs than usual with tick borne diseases this year and one dobe died from one a few months ago. It was horrible she said. That scares me more than putting Vectra or Advantix on the dogs. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts