Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rush has a small growth, probably not best word to describe, similar looking to a canker sore( on a human) but hard on eft side of mouth.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Tried to upload pic but iPad won't allow function.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would suspect that that's a papilloma, also. These are viral warts that most usually occur in the mouth and most usually are not much of a problem... they are usually self-limiting, and will vanish on their own within a few months. Sometimes, a vet will crush them, and they do not grow back (sometimes, they do). The amino acid L-lysine is supposed to be helpful (I have seen a recommendation of 500 mg., but you might want to ask your vet or do more research), and some people report that the warts vanished in a few weeks.

They are contageous to other dogs (usually to puppies or immune-compromised dogs, but less so to healthy adults)... often, limiting contact with other dogs is recommended. That is probably good advice, and I followed it with my current girl when she was young... I will NOT follow that advice ever again, since it resulted in a dog wholly unsocialized with other dogs when it mattered most... I did not fully consider the ramifications of doing the "responsible thing" and this has had a considerable negative impact on the quality of my life and my dog's life.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
hope everything goes well tomorrow and nothing serious, good vibes your way :)

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
It looks like a papilloma to me, they usually resolve themselves, they are just oh so disgusting. Someone on here suggested dabbing it with iodine, i cant really say if it helped it resolve faster or not.
Saph had one, and i was going to take her to the vet for it because i thought it was odd she got it so late in life but everyone on here said it wasnt a big deal

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the information and well wishes. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to pets health. I will keep vet appointment today and ask the vet about her opinion on supplements for him.

I'm guessing since he contracted this, probably at day care, that is immune system is week? Or is this wrong?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I was going to ask but I see others beat me to it! Yup...looks like a Papilloma, and as you suggested it is a virus mostly found in puppies because of their lowered immunity. It is not a huge concern, but it is gross and contagious. Different people have different philosophies on how to treat it, but basically since it is a virus the dog has to fight it on its own. Some vets will surgically remove them but they can just pop back up. The old school way to treat is to crush them, which seems to send a message to the dogs immune system that there is an issue and speed it up a bit. There is also some research about different medications that may help speed u the process (Azithromycin is one). Again, no real support to whether or not they work.

We added Kelp to Rowan's food and also put Vitamin E on them too. Nothing clearly helped heal them, but they did go away within about a month (sometimes could take several), so who knows maybe some of that helped. I have some other pics I could find to show you how big and gross they got before going away completely. I'll have to try to dig them out!

ETA: I should also mention you might want to try to avoid touching it a lot. Of course we didn't know what it was and kept poking and messing with it. He ended up getting lots of itty bitty ones all over his mouth...I have a feeling we helped them spread. :/

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Beware: some gross images :p

Ok, so here's what you can possibly expect:

First pics when I found it:

On chin...most thought acne, but it was harder

It gets worse before it gets better:
Starting to spread

And now clearly not acne on the chin

And at the height of disgust--
You can see the dark part where some of the tissue is dying

And what we came to call (not so) fondly, the "chin brain"

I know I had a lot of questions about what was going to happen and how to know if it was going away, etc. so I hope this helps. I was actually thinking about making a thread just to post these for educational purposes if someone else had them, but I forgot until your thread.

Like I said, it seemed to get worse before it got better, but once it started to go away it healed rather quickly (I think it was gone in a matter of a week?). Sorry to be graphic, but chunks kind of started to die and fall off.

If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. We just returned from vet and Dr said it was a papilloma and nothing to do to make it go away . She said it can take up to 6 weeks for Rush's immune system to get rid of it.

I asked about any supplements to help with the healing and she said no. Just to keep him close to home and be patient.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
sometimes a bit of 'stress' in a young animal will weaken the immune system and allow a virus to 'take hold', or their immune systems are just not strong/mature enough yet....... in an otherwise healthy young dog........... their immune system will kick in, strengthen, and destroy that pesky viral papilloma without any help from us.

Hugz to Rush!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts