Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so yesterday Odin only ate about 2 cups of his food, he normally eats 6. I am feeding him Before Grain dog food. I added some hamburger grease to his meal and he ate maybe a mouthful and then left it. I thought maybe he didn't like it which I thought was weird because he normally does. I then replaced it with just dry regular kibble and he ate a few bites and left it. I put down another bowl but i mixed some salmon in it and he ate it. This morning he pooped regularly and I put his food down and he didnt want to eat, so we went to the dog park and he played, marked and then pooped again but this time was a little less firm.

He played drank some water and he kept trying to poop but nothing was coming out. I keep an eye on him when he plays with his toys, if he tries to tear it up I have been taking the toy away from him. So I don't believe it is obstruction, he did throw up his water at the park but he does that when he has an empty stomach so that is pretty normal being that he didnt eat his breakfast.

After the park I put down some food coated with plain yogurt, and again not interested. Pulled it up and put down a different flavor of his dog food that was just plain, nothing added. He ate a few pieces and left it, he started playing with his toy and now is laying down.

Can this be because he is reaching a maturity level because he just started marking, and can it possibly be that there is a female in heat in my neighbor hood? He hasn't acted weird like whining or pacing. He is just his playful self, not lethargic or has no energy.

I am really puzzled, I will take him in on the third day of not eating unless he shows symptoms of obstruction. Just wondering if it might be related to him becoming more mature or something else.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've never really had any "go off" food for maturity/age. I've had one picky eater that I made worse but he never ate good. I also pick out foodies so my dogs might not be a good example.

I'd look for signs of vomiting, nausea, check gums, etc. as well as pain signs and keep an eye for now. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing!

Reactions: o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
When I got chase, he was 2 years old and unaltered. He too would just take a few bites then leave it. He went 24 hours without food, the vet looked at him and said he's fine.

As soon as he was neutered it was like a switch lol. Now he is so enthusiastic with food he chokes on it when eating. It's now raised and soaked.

Hope it's just the hormones talkin :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I check his teeth about once a week, so his mouth is okay. I checked out the rest of his body and nothing is in pain and he doesn't act like he is in pain. He acts 100 percent himself except for not eating. He has had raw before and I am wondering if that is something he prefers now and is protesting against his kibble.

Reactions: dobriety

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got chase, he was 2 years old and unaltered. He too would just take a few bites then leave it. He went 24 hours without food, the vet looked at him and said he's fine.

As soon as he was neutered it was like a switch lol. Now he is so enthusiastic with food he chokes on it when eating. It's now raised and soaked.

Hope it's just the hormones talkin :)
I hope its just the hormones as well, he has showed more interest in on of his favorite play mates that is female and about to go into heat. He was all up in her business for a little bit more than usual but then just went back to playing.

Every time he peed a dog had to go up to it and re mark where he just marked, so I am thinking that there is something different in his urine because it wasn't like that before.

He is drinking normally and keeping his water down.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd stop offering him bribes to eat, you're well on your way to creating a picky eater by doing that.

Obviously dogs stop eating if they're sick or have an obstruction or something. But A LOT of adolescent male dobes stop eating because of their hormones. As someone else said, as soon as they're neutered, their appetite immediately returns with a vengence.

Again, don't be constantly trying to bribe him into eating by offering new goodies all the time. It's an endless loop that leads nowhere good.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd stop offering him bribes to eat, you're well on your way to creating a picky eater by doing that.

Obviously dogs stop eating if they're sick or have an obstruction or something. But A LOT of adolescent male dobes stop eating because of their hormones. As someone else said, as soon as they're neutered, their appetite immediately returns with a vengence.

Again, don't be constantly trying to bribe him into eating by offering new goodies all the time. It's an endless loop that leads nowhere good.
yeah I agree, I was thinking that when I was putting stuff in his food. But I just wanted to do a process of elimination.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If everything checks out ok, I think he's at about the same age Chase was when he started refusing food. It was/is pure hormones with him. Chase has, in the past, gone four days without eating. He would otherwise play, drink, poop, pee, and act normally, he was just a royal turd about his food. He will be two in April and is eating raw and has only skipped one meal in the last five weeks or so, but he still looks at it reluctantly for a few minutes before eating. He usually needs the competition of my little dogs looking at him from outside of his crate to eat. Chase is intact...for now! My biggest advice is to not get in to doctoring up his food. You'll drive yourself crazy. Also, as long as everything is ok with him and he's just being a turd, don't stress yourself too much about him not eating. I would get frustrated with Chase about not eating, which he could sense, and this made him very upset around mealtimes since he's so sensitive. If Odin doesn't eat, no biggie. Pick the food up and move on with life. When Chase was on kibble, I would feed it to him dry with nothing added when he wasn't eating so I could just toss it back into the bin. Wet/doctored food got yucky over time and had to be thrown out. I was wasting lots of $$$! We called it his prison diet when he was being a brat about his food :) Good luck! Whenever Chase doesn't eat, the more I lean towards the removal of those little buggers between his legs!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If everything checks out ok, I think he's at about the same age Chase was when he started refusing food. It was/is pure hormones with him. Chase has, in the past, gone four days without eating. He would otherwise play, drink, poop, pee, and act normally, he was just a royal turd about his food. He will be two in April and is eating raw and has only skipped one meal in the last five weeks or so, but he still looks at it reluctantly for a few minutes before eating. He usually needs the competition of my little dogs looking at him from outside of his crate to eat. Chase is intact...for now! My biggest advice is to not get in to doctoring up his food. You'll drive yourself crazy. Also, as long as everything is ok with him and he's just being a turd, don't stress yourself too much about him not eating. I would get frustrated with Chase about not eating, which he could sense, and this made him very upset around mealtimes since he's so sensitive. If Odin doesn't eat, no biggie. Pick the food up and move on with life. When Chase was on kibble, I would feed it to him dry with nothing added when he wasn't eating so I could just toss it back into the bin. Wet/doctored food got yucky over time and had to be thrown out. I was wasting lots of $$$! We called it his prison diet when he was being a brat about his food :) Good luck! Whenever Chase doesn't eat, the more I lean towards the removal of those little buggers between his legs!
THANKS, I guess I am just worried because he is already skinny enough as it is for how much exercise he gets, thats why I was added the hamburger grease so that I can add more calories to his diet. Kim (breeder) wanted more weight on him but it seems like when he finally gains some he looses it just as fast lol.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hans was picky about his food at that age too, also unaltered. I made the mistake of stressing out about it and I never even realized he started to get fat because all I was concerned with was that he was eating.

The bouv puppy is now 5 mo and starting to get picky about his food. If he doesn't eat it by the time I let him out to go potty, he doesn't get any more until the next day.

As long as he is acting normally, and drinking water he is probably just being a teen!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
THANKS, I guess I am just worried because he is already skinny enough as it is for how much exercise he gets, thats why I was added the hamburger grease so that I can add more calories to his diet. Kim (breeder) wanted more weight on him but it seems like when he finally gains some he looses it just as fast lol.
Getting and keeping adolescent males at good weight for the show ring just complicates things-and makes it's own contribution to creating picky eaters.It also can create so much stress for the owner that it takes all the fun out of everything, and makes your life hell.

Been down that road-won't make the same mistakes again. If an adolescent dog of mine doesn't carry enough weight to be shown, then he won't get shown. A lot of them will grow out of this non eating phase over time, so you wait until they grow out of it. But I'll no longer be held hostage to a food bowl....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He was bored of his food, he was eating a minimum of a cup a day. I had some food samples laying around and thought I would throw it in his food bowl and he ate all of it, yay! So I took his Before Grain dog food back and exchanged it for TOTW. He's eating normally again, thanks for all the advise as always ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hopefully he keeps eating, but keep in mind that he may get bored of this new food, too. When Chase would stop eating and I would get him a new brand, he would eat with gusto for a bit (~2weeks) and the cycle would start again. I'm actually going through this right now with his raw. He ate for about five/six weeks and is now bored. Unfortunately for him, we're sticking with this food. I hope your guy decides to accept this new food for good!

·
Registered
537 Posts
okay so yesterday Odin only ate about 2 cups of his food, he normally eats 6. I am feeding him Before Grain dog food. I added some hamburger grease to his meal and he ate maybe a mouthful and then left it. I thought maybe he didn't like it which I thought was weird because he normally does. I then replaced it with just dry regular kibble and he ate a few bites and left it. I put down another bowl but i mixed some salmon in it and he ate it. This morning he pooped regularly and I put his food down and he didnt want to eat, so we went to the dog park and he played, marked and then pooped again but this time was a little less firm.

He played drank some water and he kept trying to poop but nothing was coming out. I keep an eye on him when he plays with his toys, if he tries to tear it up I have been taking the toy away from him. So I don't believe it is obstruction, he did throw up his water at the park but he does that when he has an empty stomach so that is pretty normal being that he didnt eat his breakfast.

After the park I put down some food coated with plain yogurt, and again not interested. Pulled it up and put down a different flavor of his dog food that was just plain, nothing added. He ate a few pieces and left it, he started playing with his toy and now is laying down.

Can this be because he is reaching a maturity level because he just started marking, and can it possibly be that there is a female in heat in my neighbor hood? He hasn't acted weird like whining or pacing. He is just his playful self, not lethargic or has no energy.

I am really puzzled, I will take him in on the third day of not eating unless he shows symptoms of obstruction. Just wondering if it might be related to him becoming more mature or something else.
My little tard does the same thing, used to wolf down 4-5 cups easy in a day and still want more, now @ 9.5 months he barely does 2.

I find that pouring a little olive oil on his, then swishing the bowl around to mix it in...he'll tear it up afterwards. I don't want him hooked on this though, even though the oil is probably good for him. Might make him spoiled.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hopefully he keeps eating, but keep in mind that he may get bored of this new food, too. When Chase would stop eating and I would get him a new brand, he would eat with gusto for a bit (~2weeks) and the cycle would start again.
This is exactly what happens. One thing you can count on when dogs start using food to manipulate their owners-the ante ALWAYS get raised. They'll always hold out for something new, and the time span before they get bored and want something new gets shorter and shorter.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is exactly what happens. One thing you can count on when dogs start using food to manipulate their owners-the ante ALWAYS get raised. They'll always hold out for something new, and the time span before they get bored and want something new gets shorter and shorter.
Oh no...

This is when I start to call my boy by his 2nd given name: Hostage.

"Stig, you've got food in your bowl, you'd better eat it or you're going to be hungry like a hostage."

...and then I give in and give him the olive oil...damn it I must remain strong.

Hostage...you will not manipulate me any longer!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
This. My dogs dont get anything special mixed in their food if they wont eat. You dont eat, you go hungry. I change foods when I decide, not them.
If there are other symptoms or this goes on for more than a day or two, then I worry about health issues. But by dinner time they are always inhaling anything I give them.

If you are worried about his weight, I would look for a food that has more calories.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just worried at first, I was thinking about changing foods anyways. I have been adding some canned food to his kibble every other feeding to add more calories. Now that I know there was nothing wrong I will just let him eat if he wants to and pick it up if he doesn't. He was doing so well on gaining weight but those three days that he was barely eating made him get really skinny again. I hope it won't be this hard to keep weight on him when gets older, but if it does I guess it will get easier. Ay least that's all I have to worry about, not like I have to handle him in the ring or anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts