Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, long story short-ish.
I have seen Magnum react to people in two ways. 1) I love you, happy to meet you, please pet me, I'll be getting in your lap now. 2) Don't like you, may growl or bark at you, you should stay over there. He reads people pretty well. Most people he really likes, very few he doesn't.
Next door neighbor had a co-worker over last night. The co-worker is deaf. Magnum COMPLETELY ignored the deaf fella. Neighbor came to the fence, Magnum jumped up on the fence to get some ear scratching from the neighbor. He allowed the deaf gent to pet him at that time, soon as neighbor left the fence Magnum was done. Turned and trotted off.
I kinda felt bad because the deaf fella was really interested in the dogs and wanted to continue interacting.
Looks like Magnum is NOT a candidate for an assistance dog. :(

Has anyone had a similar reaction from their dog to someone disabled in some way? Just a fluke thing? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Dogs are like people some they like some the do not do now think you can change their mind. Did the deaf person give Magnum a treat might have change his mind. most likely his first encounter with some one deaf.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dogs are like people some they like some the do not do now think you can change their mind. Did the deaf person give Magnum a treat might have change his mind. most likely his first encounter with some one deaf.
May have been his 1st deaf encounter....but how did he know?
It really seemed as though the man didn't exist.
next time he is over we may try a treat

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
May have been his 1st deaf encounter....but how did he know?
It really seemed as though the man didn't exist.
next time he is over we may try a treat
He might have picked up on it from you, not saying that you did't like the person but sometimes when we find out someone is blind or deaf we tend to want to act different around them and you boy might have picked up on that aspect and not used to it.

Reactions: madmyk

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I have never had a problem with my dogs interacting with disabled people, my youngest son is handicapped (he is profoundly deaf and has behavioural problems etc) and often brought friends round and the dogs played with them no problem. What it may have been a case of is the man sounded slightly different, even the best speakers have a hollowness to their voices which some dogs do not find engaging, if I were you and you wished for Magnum to be better around disabled/handicapped people I would make a point of arranging a few meet ups. As long as you closely supervise (in case he becomes distressed by say a wheelchair) it can only help him on his journey through life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts