Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diesel is now 2 years and 3 months and he has always licked himself before bed (mainly his manly parts :p) but within the last 2-3 weeks he has lick sores on his back paw and his hip area. I work as a vet tech so i asked one of the veterinarys about it and she seems to think its an complusive disorder that may lead to flank sucking, and prescribed him 75mg clomipramine for a month to see if that changes anything. just wondering if someone else has had issues with this..?

other than that were great! :)

thanks

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
Lick granulomas and other similar compulsive disorders are common in dobermans--in fact, if I'm remembering her correctly, my dog's dermatologist said that dobermans are number one on the list of dog breeds who commonly have this problem. She also said that there is only one gene that codes for dog behavior that has been identified, and it codes for......guess what......obsessive compulsive behavior in dobermans.

Granulomas can be treated with aversives (don't lick, it tastes bad), with antibiotics, with products that lessen sensation and itching, by keeping the dog from reaching the area (elizabethan collar, bandaging to covering up the sore), laser treatment, and fairly recently, antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. Whenever there are lots of different treatments for a problem, that usually means that none of them work very well *sigh* This kind of behavior is considered very difficult and unrewarding to deal with.

There is an ongoing thread several of us are contributing to telling of our trials, tribulations and treatments attempts of our dogs--it may make interesting reading for you.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/59281-need-some-help-resources-lick-sores.html

Welcome to the club. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I knew it was a problem i just didnt realize how common! either way i love him to pieces

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
The best success I had was with essential lavender oil dabbed onto the wound....but it has to be reapplied every couple of hours....so only works when your around to supervise. (Which is not always possible). Hope the clombicalm works.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
The linked thread will provide you with a lot of the things that "didn't" work, that's for sure.

When it's all said and done, try and see what might work for your dog. Sometimes it is just boredom but sometimes it's in their genetics.

I only wish I still had that to deal with.... It was a pain at the time, but it was such a big part of my Swilly. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I'm sorry that you've joined the club. Lick sores are *incredibly* frustrating to deal with.

Right now my Simon is wearing a basket muzzle pretty much 24/7 (unless we're directly supervising him). His last sore just had six laser treatments and it's really REALLY well - we even have some hair growth! I'm just hoping once it's actually healed completely he will not reopen it. We've not had much success with any anti-anxiety types of meds, including the ones we're currently trying for storm sensitivity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:( were keeping it vet wrapped now (he's not chewing it off :)) but im just going to keep my fingers crossed and do my best.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Keep in mind that most anti-anxiety drugs won't show results for AT LEAST a month, so that's the earliest you'd even consider whether it is making a difference.

Reactions: Australdi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts