Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old is at the hospital right now.
They think he might have an obstruction already.
He had regular xrays done yesterday, and only showed a couple of small rocks.
He had more today that showed the rocks are gone, but his vomiting and lethargic symptoms still remain. Now they are doing a Barium xray to see if the dye latches on to anything indicating an obstruction. This is making me pretty nervous beause my Vet told me that if there wasn't anything present, the dye would pass through in just a couple of hours. Well, he's been there for 4 hours now. I called to check on him and they said there is nothing definitive yet and they need to do more xrays within another hour or so, and to just call back. Its not looking very promising imo. :(
I'm not going to call them back, I'm just going to drive over there and make the guy talk to me.

As for what could have gotten stuck, I have no idea.
For the most part, he is supervised when in the yard.
Yeah, he likes to eat Juniper Berries, and an ocassional rock obviously, but other than that, I really have no clue what it could be. He did chew a corner of my grill mat not to long ago, but I found most of the pieces, but I guess it only takes one right?

Well...wish him luck guys.
I hope the outcome is better than what I think it will be.
It's really a shame too.
His behavior and attitude was just starting to get considerably better, and now this.

Does it take a long time for these guys to recover from this type of surgery?
And do they ever outgrow this urge to EAT EVERYTHING? :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Doberloves from us, and thoughts and prayers for your boy. I hope you get good news and that hes back to himself soon!

Reactions: KissNme

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Sending my prayers and well wishes to your guy. We have just been going through what we thought was an obstruction with our guy. Luckily after xrays the vet didnt see anything. He's currently a "not sure whats wrong" dog. I hope your guy comes out of all this ok. Everyone on DT will help you through the struggle, and recovery time imo depends on the dog. Fingers crossed his recovery is quick :)

Reactions: KissNme

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Juniper berries may very well be at least part of his problem

Juniper
An evergreen tree often used in holiday decorations. Its blue-purple berries have been used in recipes for flavoring. The safety of juniper berries as a food item is questionable since abdominal cramps and diarrhea have been reported when large amounts were eaten.

From: Berries and Seeds | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Vibes for your puppy.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
rubbing lucky paws for the lucky guy, hopefully its a close call.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 5 month old is at the hospital right now.
They think he might have an obstruction already.
He had regular xrays done yesterday, and only showed a couple of small rocks.
He had more today that showed the rocks are gone, but his vomiting and lethargic symptoms still remain. Now they are doing a Barium xray to see if the dye latches on to anything indicating an obstruction. This is making me pretty nervous beause my Vet told me that if there wasn't anything present, the dye would pass through in just a couple of hours. Well, he's been there for 4 hours now. I called to check on him and they said there is nothing definitive yet and they need to do more xrays within another hour or so, and to just call back. Its not looking very promising imo. :(
I'm not going to call them back, I'm just going to drive over there and make the guy talk to me.

As for what could have gotten stuck, I have no idea.
For the most part, he is supervised when in the yard.
Yeah, he likes to eat Juniper Berries, and an ocassional rock obviously, but other than that, I really have no clue what it could be. He did chew a corner of my grill mat not to long ago, but I found most of the pieces, but I guess it only takes one right?

Well...wish him luck guys.
I hope the outcome is better than what I think it will be.
It's really a shame too.
His behavior and attitude was just starting to get considerably better, and now this.

Does it take a long time for these guys to recover from this type of surgery?
And do they ever outgrow this urge to EAT EVERYTHING? :rolleyesww:
It sounds like he is in great hands. They are doing the right procedures. The Barium test should identify a blockage if one exists.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the prayers and good wishes everyone.
The vet said it looks like his system is clear of anything foreign,
so no slice and dice as of right now, thank God.:nicejob:

They said it looks like he may have developed an ulcer in his stomach
that was causing him pain and vomiting. Okay....
Now what caused the ulcer was my next question.:confused:
He said it could have been anything.
The BBQ Mat, rocks, sticks, JUNIPER BERRIES (good call on that RedFawn)
I then said to him, you mean the same Juniper Berries that I called and talked
to you about 2 weeks ago before turning him loose in the yard??:mad:
He said, "I just said they weren't toxic, I never said they wouldn't irritate the stomach.
What a backtracking a$$hole.
That guy flat out told me not to worry about those berries,
and now he's saying to him completely away from them,
but only after my DOG has been put through the ringer and I'M out over $700!!:mad::mad::mad:

The important thing is that he seems to be doing a bit better this evening.
He was full of piss and vinegar when I brought him home, and now he's resting comfortably.
He has been prescribed 1g of Sucralfate 30 minutes before each meal,
along with 10mg of Pepecid. He has also been put on a special diet of Prescription Diet I/D Canine Gastrointestinal Heath Food for the next 5 days.
So far so good, but the real test will be in the morning because that's always
when he seemed to be the sickest and most prone to the vomiting.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.;)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Glad to hear he didnt need surgery.:) Is he just throwing up bile or a yellowish fluid BEFORE eating his breakfast. If that is what he is doing, give him a handful of food when you put him to bed for the nite. Often the stomach gets too empty too long and it makes them feel sick. Parker used to do that a couple of years ago and then just recently. A little food at bedtime does the trick. I would be ticked too, if my vet did that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear he didnt need surgery.:) Is he just throwing up bile or a yellowish fluid BEFORE eating his breakfast. If that is what he is doing, give him a handful of food when you put him to bed for the nite. Often the stomach gets too empty too long and it makes them feel sick. Parker used to do that a couple of years ago and then just recently. A little food at bedtime does the trick. I would be ticked too, if my vet did that.
Thats what he was doing in the morning before breakfast, but it got to the point where he even started throwing up his food.
Thanks for that though. I'll keep it in mind for sure, and apply it after I can get him back on track.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all.
He's not doing much better yet.
Very lethargic today.
(i dont understand that because he was piss and vinegar yesterday)
He's not drinking at all, but eats just fine.
The only thing I can do to keep him hydrated is mix water in with that food.
He's lost 4 lbs and looks like a sack of bones to me.
The vet says not to worry, he'll bounce back once he gets back on his regular food.
He also has another urinary infection.

I'm not sure what to make of it.
I think more is going on that just a UTI and Ulcer, but they say no.
Blood work is fine.
I'm waiting for a call on the fecal.

Please keep him in your prayers.
Thanks.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i was going to mention this before but got side tracked.

in herbal medicine....juniper berries are used to treat a wide range of ailments, including urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal infections, digestive problems associated with an underproduction of hydrochloric acid.....so i was wondering if your boy had always eaten them or had just started?

and, does he eat a lot of them or just a few now and then?

I have found that my dogs will search out specific plants when they need them.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks all.
He's not doing much better yet.
Very lethargic today.
(i dont understand that because he was piss and vinegar yesterday)
He's not drinking at all, but eats just fine.
The only thing I can do to keep him hydrated is mix water in with that food.
He's lost 4 lbs and looks like a sack of bones to me.
The vet says not to worry, he'll bounce back once he gets back on his regular food.
He also has another urinary infection.

I'm not sure what to make of it.
I think more is going on that just a UTI and Ulcer, but they say no.
Blood work is fine.
I'm waiting for a call on the fecal.

Please keep him in your prayers.
Thanks.
More vibes his way.

I'd want to know for darn sure that there was no obstruction--every hour that passes is more intestine dying, if he does indeed have a blockage.

i was going to mention this before but got side tracked.

in herbal medicine....juniper berries are used to treat a wide range of ailments, including urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal infections, digestive problems associated with an underproduction of hydrochloric acid.....so i was wondering if your boy had always eaten them or had just started?

and, does he eat a lot of them or just a few now and then?

I have found that my dogs will search out specific plants when they need them.

Juniper berries are also used to induce miscarriage, and are possibly nephrotoxic.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
many herbs when used incorrectly may cause secondary issues. They are powerful medicine.

so much depends on the amounts given, and the duration and.................the knowledge and experience of the Herbalist who is advising a patient.

OP, I hope your boy improves soon.

Hugz to your boy!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts