Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!! I have a question. I have talked with this group http://www.kuplackcanines.com/ and am looking into doing some training with them. With my move from Kansas to Kentucky and new job and all that jazz I am finally starting to get settled in my environment to where I can start doing some things I can enjoy. I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of them? and if so what are your thoughts? I am not sure what to look for and I want someone reputable. So if you could at least look at the site and tell me what you think that would be great. I am asking them for referrals also. They are GSD breeders but do all kinds of training for working dogs.

I am going to start at the bottom with both dogs and work my way up. Maybe I will be able to get Sabot his BH (thanks BiB :) someday and his CD. I have never actually titled any dog before but did a couple of years of obedience and agility training with Nina and a border collie I had years ago for fun. So I only know the basics. But, I am not getting any younger and I would really like to do this for me. I also want to thank all of you that have talked to me recently about all of this...Brum,BiB, Murrydobe and Velmadobe! I really appreciate and respect all of your opinions. You guys have been great.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
It doesnt really say much on their website about their methods of training. How many dogs they have competed with and trained...the scores of those dogs...

You can tell alot about a trainer by watching them with their dogs. If their dogs are always, sniffing the ground, yawning, shying away from the hand, cowering...in avoidence, chances are....they use the "yank and crank" "I'm gonna make you do it" methods. (Alot of "old school" schutzhund and sport trainers do, IMO) But I think you will get better results with motivational training, for toys or treats.

I would ask to come and watch one of their classes and see how the dogs in their class are performing, and go from there.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I don't know about them of course because I am in Ontario. Go watch a couple of classes if you can I find that always helps. Also, do they have a variety of classes, levels and can you go and practise so certain nights. I go to a place called Tamsu, the instructor is John Mairs who is very well known all over they do all levels of obedience (competition) agility, and Rally-O. I don't want to have to go somewhere else if possible to do another sport so this is important to me.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The site doesn't really say a whole lot about their training. How long have they trained and like BIB said, what type of training they do, ect. I would watch a class and see if yo like their methods. Talk to some of the students and see what they think. Everyone has different ways of training, and some just don't jive with certain people.

My OB club is like what Okie mentioned. I like to have my options opened to what I might switch to, so there are classes for everything. Tracking to puppy. It is a variety of everything and all dogs. There are numerous trainers also, so if I don't necessarily like this specific ones view, I could wait until another one taught the class in a few weeks. Not that I have a problem with any of them. :) You will know when you find the place that is right for you to train in. Don't settle for less than you want. You are making a relationship to help advance you dog and need their support 100%. It turns into more than a instuctor/client relationship when you find the right one. You become friends.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
mariposa692001 said:
Hi Everyone!! I have a question. I have talked with this group http://www.kuplackcanines.com/ and am looking into doing some training with them. With my move from Kansas to Kentucky and new job and all that jazz I am finally starting to get settled in my environment to where I can start doing some things I can enjoy. I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of them? and if so what are your thoughts? I am not sure what to look for and I want someone reputable. So if you could at least look at the site and tell me what you think that would be great. I am asking them for referrals also. They are GSD breeders but do all kinds of training for working dogs.

I am going to start at the bottom with both dogs and work my way up. Maybe I will be able to get Sabot his BH (thanks BiB :) someday and his CD. I have never actually titled any dog before but did a couple of years of obedience and agility training with Nina and a border collie I had years ago for fun. So I only know the basics. But, I am not getting any younger and I would really like to do this for me. I also want to thank all of you that have talked to me recently about all of this...Brum,BiB, Murrydobe and Velmadobe! I really appreciate and respect all of your opinions. You guys have been great.
I really don't like the sound of what they offer. Advanced lessons are privates only? I think both the people and dogs really benefit from taking advanced classes with other teams. Privates are ok too, but not as an only option.

I don't know what you might have available by you........ and I've got to run to my kids swim practice. I'll come back later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts