Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that don't know my story I recenly intorduced myself and my new Doberman rescue in the introductions. Anyway sofar Lady has no clue what sit stay and no mean lol. I've had some experience training my other rescues who were completely brain dead to commands, but I'm not sure where or how to start with Lady. I recently adopted out a GSD mix who was a holly terror when I got him, I worked on NILF with him and he turned out to be a smart litttle bugger. I'm not sure if the same aproach would be good for Lady since she really should have love and affection wether she sits or not lol. When I tell her to sit she looks at me like I'm from another planet, and before I can get to the next step of makeing her sit she looses intrest and walks away. She's getting fed so much right now that treats aren't that interesting. I'm just wondering if I could let the obedience training go for a while untill she's built up and on a normal eating regimine and then work with her? Will it set me up for falure later on? She's a wonderful girl and listens to the important things such as no couch, and she heals on leash. She comes when called, and sofar is very polite and calm with new people. If she never sat on command it wouldn't bother me any lol, I just don't want her to think it's her way or the highway. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would do clicker training that is with a clicker and treats. Positive Reinforcment. Theres alot of info out there for clicker training. Good Luck she sounds like she has a loving home.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I'm not sure if the same aproach would be good for Lady since she really should have love and affection wether she sits or not lol
As long as it is done with positive reinforcement...whether she is food or toy driven...and a happy encouraging praising voice from you...then I think love and affection can still be giving during training. there really isnt any punishment during training when you think about it...just correction to remind the dog what it is they are to be doing...but most of its praising when they do a good job.
I think training in obedience would be great for a dog like her as long as it doesnt stress her out too much. Our lab mix we adopted is very fearful and it would prevent him from being able to effectively train.
I think if she seems like she can handle it and looks like she would enjoy it, it is a great way to bond with her...especially if she is adopted and missed out on the attention, love and affection with her old owner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well with the NILF approach the basic idea is to have the dog preform a task or command before being given anything, such as being petted, noticed, or given treats. I'm afraid of going that rout and having her emotioally scared more, if that makes any sence. None of my rescues have come to me in such poor shape as lady has, both physically and mentally. I think I might give her a few weeks to fully gain the confidence she needs and then enroll her into a training class, I know we both can use it lol. She has definatly proven herself in a lot of ways these past few days she's been in my full care. I was slightly concerned about how she would react being in my home full time with two rambunctions girls lol, but she fits right in with them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If your dog is loosing interest and walking away from the treat, find something that she won't lose interest in.

Here is an example of how I teach my dogs to sit. Cole was already trained so my daughter didn't have to do it perfectly, but I will raise my hand with the treat in it above their head. As there head goes up, their butt goes down. :)

Edited because I forgot the picture.

·
Banned
675 Posts
NILIF is not a way of training that is necessary for all dogs. I suppose it could be used for all dogs but the whole program is something I would only use if the dog needed it. I like the suggestion about using the clicker for right now for Lady.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would only use NILIF on a dominant dog myself. It really helps establish pack order but that doesn't seem to be the csae with Lady. I haven't done marker/clicker training in any formal fashion so I cannot attest to it. So my only suggestion to you would be to find out what "does it" for Lady and go with it, with these dogs once they catch on you can almost see them begging you to teach them new things.

I know food did not always do it for Ajax until I started to use small hunks of cheese. Now when ever someone is eating a string cheese Ajax will follow them throughout the house doing "sits" "downs" "up-sits" "stands" all the while trying to stay in a perfect heal.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
If she is not interested in treats because she is getting so much food use her regular food as the treat. So instead of putting it all in her food bowl put some in a baggy and treat her with that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nothing In Life Is Free...

Basically means that teh dog earns everything it gets. For example making the dog do a quick obedience routine to earn its plate. Same type of deal with attention, or getting petted. I have heard of several people also going so far as to making a dog earn its potty breaks.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh OK.... I am very familiar with that. That's how it works in my house. Learned it working with a trainer a long time ago. I just never heard it referred to like that. I also use clicker training to teach new behaviors.

Thanks,

Leslie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts