Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of an obedience school that crates/ has you lock your dog up for 22 hours a day??? hes aloud to have frequent bathroom breaks, has an hour of play time and any hour of training a day but the rest is spent locked up??!! i need peoples advice/experience on this! Apperently its supposed to train the dog that he is not the master??

Im totally against it but my boyfriend seems to think this trainer is right??
PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of an obedience school that crates/ has you lock your dog up for 22 hours a day??? hes aloud to have frequent bathroom breaks, has an hour of play time and any hour of training a day but the rest is spent locked up??!! i need peoples advice/experience on this! Apperently its supposed to train the dog that he is not the master??

Im totally against it but my boyfriend seems to think this trainer is right??
PLEASE HELP
The best advise I can give YOU:
DUMP your mentally changled BF...before he locks YOU up in the closet next, for not listening to the MAN of the house.

My Amy is NEVER CONFINED, and she is perfect in EVERY WAY.
- PLEASE don't plan to have children, with this aka MAN, YOU WILL BE CONTROLLED NEXT
- not a pretty life
With your comments, YOU ARE NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO RAISE EVEN A CHILD / LET ALONE A DOG !!...in my opinion.
- wake up, smell the roses, and MAKE a life change...for the better / right NOW your relationship is sadly in the toilet (4 legged or 2)

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
My question for this school would be why? I would love to hear that answer. In no uncertain terms would I have my dog attend this school, no way no how. By the way, what reference of training is you boyfriend stating that this is acceptable.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
That's not obedience school. That's animal abuse/neglect.

If that's the best/only way your boyfriend knows how to train a dog, he has no business owning a dog.

Hearing about this kind of crap really pisses me off. If someone wants to stick something in a box by itself for 22 hours a day and only get it out occasionally, buy a nice pair of dress shoes. Not a friggin' animal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why would your boyfriend think that this is a good idea? Why wouldn't he -or you for
that matter- want to be involved in the dogs training? I would get the dog out of the
situation ASAP to minimize the damage, and get a good trainer involved also ASAP.
Kind of gives you an insight as what you have to look forward to doesn't it?

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
That's horrible. Get your dog out of there asap and take control of the situation. Have your boyfriend research how to train dogs because it sounds like he has no clue.

I feel bad for having Lexi in her cage for 4 hours, I couldn't even imagine keeping her in there for 22 hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! for the advice I have decided to take matters into my own hands despite what my bf has to say, I posted this and showed him and he still thinks im blowing this all out of proportion because to him syire is just a dog :(!!!

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
If he succeeds in crating the dog for 22 hours per day you guys are going to have one out of control, ill-socialized, possibly dangerous dog on your hands.

Dobermans require a LOT of mental stimulus and plenty of physical exercise. If a Dobe is left in a crate 22 hours a day you'll likely not even be able to handle the dog when you do let him out for breaks. And good luck trying to get him back in his crate when he realizes he'll be sitting there for another 10+ hour stretch.

I see you're in Minnesota. I'd recommend you PM the member MeadowCat for recommendations of good trainers that might be close enough to you to actually give you guidance in how to train your pup.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! for the advice I have decided to take matters into my own hands despite what my bf has to say, I posted this and showed him and he still thinks im blowing this all out of proportion because to him syire is just a dog :(!!!
ask your bf if he would like to be locked up for that length of time.
clearly he has no respect for the animal.

Is he really going to sit there and tell a forum full of doberman owners that you're blowing things out of proportion?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Dump the idiot. Can you imagine how he will treat your future kids, they are only kids and don't know any better so lock them up. WOW , on second thought with that mentality I hope he doesn't procreate!!!!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Provided your dog doesn't have issues that need addressed and you're just looking for general OB classes, I would check out the kennel clubs in your area. Here's a link to clubs in MN: Training Resources

Also, check out some of the free videos from Leerburg.
Leerburg On Demand | Free Videos

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Just saw this thread. Please send me a PM of what trainer this is, so that I can make sure I alert our rescue group to steer people away.

I would be happy to recommend some trainers to you locally. Just let me know in your PM what your general location is and what kind of training you are looking for.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
If he succeeds in crating the dog for 22 hours per day you guys are going to have one out of control, ill-socialized, possibly dangerous dog on your hands.

Dobermans require a LOT of mental stimulus and plenty of physical exercise. If a Dobe is left in a crate 22 hours a day you'll likely not even be able to handle the dog when you do let him out for breaks. And good luck trying to get him back in his crate when he realizes he'll be sitting there for another 10+ hour stretch.

I see you're in Minnesota. I'd recommend you PM the member MeadowCat for recommendations of good trainers that might be close enough to you to actually give you guidance in how to train your pup.
This, especially.

22 hours a day is far, far too much. That level of understimulation will not produce a dog that you want to live with. She might be "just a dog", but you got her for a reason, companionship, one might assume. A dog that has been isolated for 22 hours a day is not going to want to be around people, or know how to be around people, or even know how to be around your house once the dog is home. A Doberman is supposed to be with his or her people, not in a strange place forming neuroses about confinement and activity.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This sounds like a very traditional, dominance-based school. Not because of what they do but because of your last statement regarding training the dog to learn he's 'not the master'.

The whole dominance-idea behind dog-training is considerably controversial especially in light of new information (I believe it's stemmed from recent wolf studies) that wolves don't really do the whole dominance thing. A spoiled, untrained dog is like a spoiled child with no structure. They will both be problems.

Training is definitely necessary, especially for working dogs. However, this school is crap. A lot of training is done by the owners themselves. The reason for this is because training isn't just about training the dog, it's about training the owners as well. Dobermans learn fast...it's usually the people that aren't getting the technique right or doing something wrong. This school doesn't appear to have dog and owner learning together at all. I don't know how old your dog is but if he's a puppy maybe group classes would be the way to go. They tend to go slower than individual trainers but they're cheaper, PLUS you get socialization. My dog has been in them since she was a puppy and she's 2 now. We have also had individual trainers with her. The most crucial part of all of this to determine how successful your dog will be? How much time YOU invest training with her. If you just take her to classes or just train when you see the trainer, your dog will develop very slowly. If you work with her 5 minutes a day a couple times a day, she'll learn very quickly.

I say find a group class, learn techniques from them...ideally with positive-reinforcement. I don't believe in strict positive-reinforcement but I do believe it's the best place to start and will do the least amount of damage to your dog even if done incorrectly. Also, there are a lot of books on dog-training out there. Even just reading a few of those will be helpful to learn what to look for.

Oh, and I forgot to add something. I know your b/f thinks he's just a dog but does he realize that improper training could do considerable psychological damage to the dog? That is a very sad position for your dog and a dangerous one for you guys as your dog's caretaker. You do NOT want a mentally damaged dog and you REALLY don't want a mentally damaged Doberman. Also, a training-style (and I hesitate to even call it that because for me it's nothing but a concentration camp for dogs) like you mentioned will do NOTHING for your bond with your dog. A Doberman has nothing if he/she doesn't have a family member to bond with. That bond is what will keep your Doberman running back to you even if he's off-leash. That bond is what will get him to listen to you when he wants to bark at the neighbors. That bond is crucial between owner and dog and this training doesn't allow your dog to bond to anyone. The only thing you will have is a dog that obeys (maybe) out of fear and the basket of problems that come with that kind of obedience.

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
Yank and Crank School? People that want that kind of control over a dog spill over to control over a person. You need to RUN RUN RUN away from both!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts