Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Obedience Graduate Novice

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Darkevs 
#1 ·
Dino an I were at the cal run show in IL we got 3 place on saturday out of 5 dogs on sunday we move up to 2 place it was a great weekend for us!!!!!:roflmao:

#5 ·
Congrats! What do you think of graduate novice? Is it a good stepping stone to the CDX? I want to go further with Rally but haven't decided to go right for the CDX or do the graduate novice.

Reactions: tomcat
#6 ·
I think it's an excellent stepping stone for the CDX. I'm working an older dog now in Graduate Novice (he's got two legs) and he is actually trained for CDX but he is not reliable on the out of sight sits and downs (he has always hated to be left with me or whoever is handling him out of sight) so the three minute out of sight down that is required for GN has been a way to proof him under ring conditions.

GN gives you an opportunity to work a shorter, less complex group of exercises that still includes parts of everything the dog will be required to do in Open.

I think this is the dog that we put through his CD and rally to his RE at the same time. He's also still running agility. I've found that rally is a great way to improve heeling exercises which become much more important in both GN and Open.

#9 ·
Congrats!!

*I think moving to GN depends on what the dog needs to work on. If doing great drops, retrieves, etc it can confuse a bit to do a recall retrieve. Other dogs don't care as much- you have to know your dog and what they need the most. (Hope that makes sense.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.