Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is coming home in August and we want to be prepared. Puppy classes can begin after two weeks of being in our home (per the dog training center). They offer a six week program one day a week for one hour that we come and work as a family with our new girl. We plan to do this for sure. They also offer a Day Training program where you drop your dog off two days a week for six hours. They will train basic manners to agility. We want to keep our little girl as busy as possible and teach her as much as we can. Do you see any conflict in doing both during the same time frame??

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I think subjecting a puppy to a 1 hour training session is too much. Training should be done 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there.

I'm also not a fan of drop off and train. Training is part of dog ownership and helps you bond with your dog. It's also good for the owner to learn as well.

JMO...

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts
Maybe some puppy classes are a solid hour of work, but I know in my class, it's not. The trainer explains what we're going to be doing, we practice for a while, then take a break, more talk, and then some more practice. I think in the hour session, we actually are working our pups about half of it, in sections of about 10-15 minutes.

I don't much care for drop-off training. The whole idea of training a family pet is that you learn together. Maybe it would work for more specialized training, but heel, sit, stay, and come are everyday things that both of you need to know.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I started training my Amy puppy OB at 4.5 months old, normally 30-40 minute sessions, but 1 hour would have been fine...in our case...with much preliminary work.
- but what I did was very relaxed and fun, and I had previously done 2.5 months of playing on the living room floor daily (from supper time to midnight, while watching TV)
- my young dobe girl, already had great eye & ear focus on me and the bond that wanted to do what I did and always be with me
(it was more of a game scenario, early on, than drill training)

While I privately train my own pup, sending it to someone professionally without my involvement...would NEVER be a consideration.
- I can teach a dog / but I have to train their human, first

cobabana - A few links to review, might be a training nugget in it for you (see post #4 / post #4, 9, 12): http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/68088-attention-span-problems.html

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Training corse is good. I dont think I would want to drop off my puppy for someone else to train. I feel training is a major bond buliding and everyone has the quriks no training two training styles are the same, so may be conflict or confusion with multiple people training

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
^^^^^ like they say.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Please be very careful to whom you hand the lead of your dog/puppy. I would try to contact a doberman rescue or breeder in your area who knows of good places to take classes.

Taking classes together is very bonding. If you drop your dog off you've missed the opportunity to be an effectively trained human w/regard to finding the best means of communicating kindly & efficiently w/your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts