Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
vika g.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Doberman, she is 4 months and very bright but not trained at all when we got her. In a week I taught her "kennel up" sit, lay down, be nice (no play biting), sit before dinner or leaving/entering the house, very food driven and easily trained, she definitely needs more obedience training and we want to take her through protection training as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced class[es] in the Snohomish County area of WA? (North of Seattle) anything helps, thanks!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In my mind, Protection training is a very big endeavor, and one I would not embark upon lightly. I'd want to make sure I have a VERY good trainer. Dobermans are naturally protective, and can serve as a deterrent often times just by their looks, without necessarily going through protection training.

Perhaps you are more interested in some good solid obedience classes rather than formal protection training? Do you already have a sense of what it entails?

I would suggest reaching out to to Jessica Wilcock, DVM who is in Monroe, but is a practicing veterinarian in Kirkland. I don't know her but have heard good things about her in the past. She is a Doberman breeder and does working sports (i.e. schutzhund/IPO). Perhaps she may be able to point you in a good direction and recommend some obedience classes in the Snohomish County area, as well as help to give you some direction if you are seriously interested in protection sports.

Welcome to Talent Dobermans!

Good luck.

·
vika g.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my mind, Protection training is a very big endeavor, and one I would not embark upon lightly. I'd want to make sure I have a VERY good trainer. Dobermans are naturally protective, and can serve as a deterrent often times just by their looks, without necessarily going through protection training.

Perhaps you are more interested in some good solid obedience classes rather than formal protection training? Do you already have a sense of what it entails?

I would suggest reaching out to to Jessica Wilcock, DVM who is in Monroe, but is a practicing veterinarian in Kirkland. I don't know her but have heard good things about her in the past. She is a Doberman breeder and does working sports (i.e. schutzhund/IPO). Perhaps she may be able to point you in a good direction and recommend some obedience classes in the Snohomish County area, as well as help to give you some direction if you are seriously interested in protection sports.

Welcome to Talent Dobermans!

Good luck.
Thank you, yes we want two professionally trained Doberman, one now and we will add another later (year or 2) we have 2 kids and I stay at home, we are set on having them professionally trained. You are totally right, they are naturally protective, I want to polish her skills to be a professional protector and know when to attack and when to definitely not attack. I don't think there is anything better to have by my side while I sit at home alone with 2 kids other than a polished well mannered Doberman :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would first contact Mark Gomersall, the Schutzhund UScA Pacific Northwest Regional director [email protected] to find out what clubs are active in the area. I would recommend the club (located also in Snohomish) he was TD of but am not sure how active it is. There is also Snohomish Schutzhund Club, though I would prefer Mark's club if it is still active.

BTW the training you are doing/describing may very well be squashing the dogs drive to do protection work.

You can PM me if you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts