Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I thought it was pretty neat! but I think i only heard the man praise his dog once during the whole time! I love that it is K-9 training and the way be has his dog do a up by saying you're under arrest!LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Impressive training, but the dog acted as if it were a JOB, and was not having a lot of fun doing it. Still, if my dog would do all that stuff, I'd be showing her off, too!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I was impressed. Plan on working on "you're under arrest" with Chi today. I think a bit of peanut butter on the wall will help. I can see that as a fun way to practice "stay" too :)
What encouraged me most about this clip was how vocal the dog was, particularly when he was rolling over. Chi is so very vocal, especially when she's excited. Just today when we were training down the street infront of some apartments, I released her after a great, I mean perfect "finish". When she does something very well, I will let up "up" (basically jump up and down like crazy and barking like mad, she loves to do this, it's great excercise and an awesome reward for a job well done) So, I release her, tell her "okay, up!" and she starts her bouncing/barking fit, it terrified a guy who just happened to be running by. He asked me if I needed help! LOL I quickly calmed her and explained to him that she was just excited but I don't think he bought it :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you train Chi to "finish" with a military-style or the "bi-heel" (around the back of you) style? I first trained Dar to 'finish' the military style by coming to me and snapping quickly to my left side, and she will get so into it that she will leave the ground for a split second and spin 180 degrees to land at the perfect left-side-heel position. We did it this way for nearly a year, then when I took Sasha to obd. classes, they taught us to use the bi-heel 'around the back' method, and I brought that idea home to Dar. She picked up on it after 3 tries, and now if she is in a sit/stay and is 10 to 15 feet away, I can call her, and if I just say "heel" she runs to my left side, jumps to attention and spins around landing right against my leg. If I call her to 'bi-heel', she will run to my right side, go around, and sit at the same place, leaning into my left leg! I swear, Dobes are he smartest dogs alive!!! Well, that's MY opinion, anyway!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
im not actually sure why you guys are unhappy with the video -

seems to me the dog is very well trained, they use positive reinforcement methods, and the dog IS working for his reward- the ball! not all dogs like, appreciate, or work well for verbal or physical praise, or food, etc. his dog looks at him with his head up, ears pricked, ready for the next command. no harsh corrections (in fact, didnt i even see him use what appeared to be a no-reward marker??) . i saw periods when the dog was wagging his nub.

the only problem i had was watching the dog slide around on the slippery floor :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
2dobies said:
Do you train Chi to "finish" with a military-style or the "bi-heel" (around the back of you) style? I first trained Dar to 'finish' the military style by coming to me and snapping quickly to my left side, and she will get so into it that she will leave the ground for a split second and spin 180 degrees to land at the perfect left-side-heel position. We did it this way for nearly a year, then when I took Sasha to obd. classes, they taught us to use the bi-heel 'around the back' method, and I brought that idea home to Dar. She picked up on it after 3 tries, and now if she is in a sit/stay and is 10 to 15 feet away, I can call her, and if I just say "heel" she runs to my left side, jumps to attention and spins around landing right against my leg. If I call her to 'bi-heel', she will run to my right side, go around, and sit at the same place, leaning into my left leg! I swear, Dobes are he smartest dogs alive!!! Well, that's MY opinion, anyway!
Currently she's doing the "bi-heel" but many years ago, I read a book called "Play Training Your Dog". I can't remember who wrote it, but she trained Greyhounds (of all breeds) for competitive ob. She taught a "flip-finish" which sounds a lot like what you describe to be the "military style". With the dog infront of her, she would tell him to finish, he would jump up and land at her left side. Will work on that with Chi once she matures and I can safely encourage her to jump around more. :) I agree with you, they are the smartest dogs alive!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
doberkim said:
the only problem i had was watching the dog slide around on the slippery floor :)
Kim,
I'm with you, I didn't see anything in the video that made me pause other than the slippery floor, that about drove me up the wall. When we leave here, we will probably ship the animals to my mom ahead of us. She'll watch them while we pack up here. It's just easier that way and I think less stressful on the animals. Anyway... I showed Mark the video and he thinks that rather than sending the dogs to my mom, we should send them there for the 2 weeks training/boarding thing. But I explained that in order to do that, he'd have to get a second job and I would have to forget about grad school :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TracyJo said:
She taught a "flip-finish" which sounds a lot like what you describe to be the "military style". With the dog infront of her, she would tell him to finish, he would jump up and land at her left side.

Heheh, Lex does that one too, cracks me up, I swear she doesn't even touch the ground! She has two separate commmands for finishing at my side like this, or going around being me and finishing.

As for the video, I could only watch a few minutes of it, I let it load for nearly 40 minutes, and that's as far as it got. (grumble....grumble...dial up, grumble.......) I think the dog looks positive to me, and maybe there wasn't much reward seen b/c it was a presentation video and short on time and not the actual training in progress? (like I said I only got to a short ways after the beg/stay pose) Either way, I reward Lex more, but the dog in the video didn't look browbeaten to me.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What a good dog!
I only watched 10 of the 17 minutes, but I heard him praise alot.
The dog was working. He's happy just to work. Very alert and attentive, that is how he should have been.
Great video!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts