Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father's Day means family time. Family time means encounters with my Mother.

What does my mom do this time? She presents three rawhides filled with something, and covered in oatmeal. Have any of you seen anything like this before? I'm going to assume that oatmeal is a no-no on the list of things to give dogs, but before I realized it, one was given to Duke to chew on. Half of the oatmeal covered on the rawhide was eaten, and he didn't care for it anymore.

Later that night, he made mudpie right before bedtime. And started crying @ 5am, and I knew he needed to go outside to make mudpie again. Since the rawhide is the only variable in his diet, I assumed they are the culprit and threw them away immediately.

But my question is...is oatmeal a no-no for our dober-kids?

·
Registered
866 Posts
If Duke is used to grain free, could be just a run of the mill upset stomach. Could be the mystery filling? General rule, no real oatmeal is not "bad" for dogs, processed-packaged-instant is probably not good for them.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've given my dogs oatmeal before in place of rice for upset tummies if I'm out of rice. As far as grains go, oatmeal is supposed to be one that is not as prone to bothering dogs. Lots of people who feed raw also use oatmeal as a filler if their dog is having a hard time getting weight on or maintaining it. I personally try to feed as minimal amount of grains as possible most of the time, but I've still never heard of oatmeal as being something to stay way clear of for most dogs

I'd tend to think that the rawhide itself and whatever was stuffed in it was probably what caused his loose stool.

That said, I've never heard of or seen an oatmeal covered rawhide before.

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
I agree that it's likely the rawhide that caused the loose stools. That's a fairly common reaction to rawhide. I don't feed it because of the safety issues. I doubt the oatmeal caused the reaction, but it could have.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thats what I was going to say, Sam. I bought some of those chewnola things before I realized there was a layer of rawhide under the oatmeal. Chevy loves them, but I take them when she gets all the oatmeal off and flattens out the rawhide to get the center out. I DO NOT let her eat the rawhide part.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I sometimes make home-made dog biscuits and many of the recipes include oatmeal. His reaction could have been due to the rawhide or the other ingredients on the treat.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
The ones I got once were in a package but same as what Sam posted.

My dogs basically made a mess with the oatmeal and weren't at all interested in the rest.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the sounds of it and hopefully for reference it sounds like it was a chewnola by the same people who make busy bones

Busy Chewnola Dog Chew at PETCO
Yup! That's what it looked like!

Duke didn't eat any of the rawhide, just scrapped some of the oatmeal off and then ignored it. However, we do give him rawhide very often to chew on, but I always cut off the parts that has become soft and could be eaten.

This morning, I didn't give him any breakfast and fed him lunch and dinner. Just glad to see that his bowel movements are back to normal again!

Thanks for the advise about oatmeal. Wasn't sure if it was something safe for him to eat or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts