Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new pup today. He is 9wk and weighs right at 15lb is that a good weight? and also when will he lose his puppy hair?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome! Would love to see some pics :)

I wouldn't worry about the number on his weight.. as long as he looks healthy (and is vet-checked healthy!) and is eating well, he's probably fine.

For the record, I believe my girl was 16.4 at 9 weeks.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Each dog grows at a different rate. Is the breeder concerned about his weight?

Do you still have Bruiser, your other male dobe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Bruiseris with my parents back down in Georgia. I had him for about six months, thought I was going to keep im but they wanted him back after one of their other dogs passed, so I had to get me a doberman.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
What do you mean by "puppy hair"?

Isn't your pup's coat sleek, short, and shiny?

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
Puppies actually shed out several coats between birth and a year--but it depends on when they were born. And since they are short coated and single coated you aren't really likely to notice it. It's sometimes noticeable on red Dobes--coat color may change some from puppy to adult on a red or a dilute (blue or fawn) but if your puppy is black it's a non issue--his puppy coat and his adult coat should both be short and glossy.

And weight depends on what lines he comes from and how they generally grow.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Puppies actually shed out several coats between birth and a year--but it depends on when they were born. And since they are short coated and single coated you aren't really likely to notice it. It's sometimes noticeable on red Dobes--coat color may change some from puppy to adult on a red or a dilute (blue or fawn) but if your puppy is black it's a non issue--his puppy coat and his adult coat should both be short and glossy.

And weight depends on what lines he comes from and how they generally grow.
The reason I asked the OP the question was we've seen quite a few BYB "mixy" looking Doberpups on here, from time to time.

It sounded like he/she might be asking about that fuzzy sort of longer hair.

He/she has since posted pics. The pup's coat does look a bit, uh, different, to me.

Reactions: lelise

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
The reason I asked the OP the question was we've seen quite a few BYB "mixy" looking Doberpups on here, from time to time.

It sounded like he/she might be asking about that fuzzy sort of longer hair.

He/she has since posted pics. The pup's coat does look a bit, uh, different, to me.
Huh...interesting. Well the coat doesn't really look different to me. I've seen enough young puppies that have some longer fuzzy looking hairs mixed into the short coat that I don't really give that a lot of thought.

Maybe I should revise what I said to say that some puppies have (before the first coat that they shed) some longer hairs--often around the neck and hindquarters. And red puppies often go through color changes--particularly the pups that start out more copper than mahogany.

We've definitely seen some puppies on here that not only looked "mixy" but clearly were--I still cringe thinking about those fawn puppies from someone in, ummm--Texas I think. They were absolutely NOT purebreds and I think the AKC eventually did an investigation on them but I never heard a final outcome. Which didn't really surprise me--even the worst of the BYB's aren't likely to post something that says "The AKC says my litter is impure breeding and I can't register or sell them as Dobermans..." Ya' think?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts