Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has ANY insight into this behavior I would be damn grateful!!

So here's what happens..

I have a boarder, he lives on the second floor of my house. He also looks after Jasmine when I go away on weekends and train with Cash. And he also feeds both of them when I can't get home..etc. He treats them really well, and they love him.

When I am home and Doug arrives home they meet him at the door and go nuts on him!! Jumping, kissing, and acting crazy...like they have never seen him before..lol! Doesn't matter if he is gone 10 minutes or 10 hours, greeting is the same.

Doug tells me when I am not home and he arrives home they don't even greet him at the door!! And also he can come down and cook and they won't even come off the bed to see what he is doing. Also the cat can walk around and Jasmine and Cash don't chase him. When I home they practically attack the cat. So much so that I am in the process of looking for a new home for him. :(

So the other day my Mom came down and again when I am here they are crazy meeting her at the door. I normally leash them and we work on their downs or sits or just greeting in a neutral way. However it is hard as they normally go nutso for my Mom.

But I happened to be up at the next door neighbour on this given day. My Mom came to the door, knocked, the dogs saw her in the window and when she finally came in they came to the door to greet her after a minute or so. She said they sniffed her, turned around and went back on the bed. She sat in the living room by herself waiting for me..lol! When I arrived home they came out and greeted me but basically acted like my Mom had been there forever.

So I just don't understand this behavior? I find it very puzzling and a little upsetting. I am working hard to have my dogs not jump and act like crazies when someone comes to the door. But knowing that they don't act like crazy dogs when I'm not there kinda pisses me off!!

Why do you think this is happening? Does anyone else have this problem? And any suggestions?

·
Got mutt?
13,814 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that, if you are home, they want your attention, and they know that acting up will get it. If you're not there, why bother putting on the show? That said, I'm not a behaviorist, just the mom of an autstic kid who behaves better at school than at home.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm sure more experienced people will probably have more ideas, but the first thing that comes to mind is maybe there is something you are doing that they like? Like maybe they enjoy the training or attention they get when they show that excitement so therefore it is somehow reinforcing?

Rowan is very excitable for the first few minutes anyone new comes, but to be honest I'm not sure if he acts the same if we are not home...guess I'll have to test it now! :)

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh, how funny!

I agree with the previous comments; there's something about your behaviors and reactions that makes those behaviors rewarding. I don't have any insight on how to "fix" it, really. I guess you're really good at making those mini- training sessions awesome!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I have a somewhat similar situation - when my husband comes home the dogs don't react at all if they are home alone. When I come home they are all nuts it doesn't matter if someone is home with them or not - they also get crazy when my husband comes home and I'm already here.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,212 Posts
I would guess that they are keying off of you somehow--not necessarily something you are doing to them/with them, but perhaps some emotional vibes they are picking up from you--excitement at visitors, nervousness or anxiety about their behavior--all that sort of stuff. You might be able to test that idea by changing your behavior or greeting routine when these folks show up and seeing if the dogs behavior is different too.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if it's showing of or what? And it happens regardless of the little training sessions or not. Doug my boarder says he's wants to video it as it's to funny for him. I mean they can push him over at the door greeting him when I'm home. And I don't have to be there in the same room. I keep telling him he is full of it, but after my Mom said the same thing I'm in shock!

I do remember coming home and sneaking up to the front window. When I looked in there were the two of them and the cat all lying in the same room. When I opened the door Cash made a mad dash for the cat..lol!

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
I guess you are fun training your dogs. When you are around their drive is up. Likely they used to sleep and have quiet time when you are away.

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I think they are mirroring what your feeling/thinking, possibly to the point it has become ingrained behaviour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts