Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on this breeder? Not looking for me (at least not for the next year or two!) but rather for a business acquaintance who is beginning his Dobe search. They are not part of the DPCA preferred list, but I know first-hand not to just trust that list without lots of other homework. Conversely I'm sure there are terrific breeders not on the list. Is this one of them? My friend has Dobe experience and is basically looking for a companion dog though he does lots of ob training. He likes the euro look. I don't see lots of health testing info on their site. Any info on listed pedigrees would be very much appreciated. He plans on contacting them and setting up an appointment to meet the next time he's in the NY area.

Welcome to NY Dobermans | nydobermans.com

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I,ve been to Meagans house (NY Doberman) to meet her and check out her dogs and pups.She went to school with my daughter.She had a litter there already that was sold,so i basically went to check out the whole operation.She explained her breeding and health testing practice and i met her stud dog and dam.The pups were beautiful as all pups are,and very responsive and energetic.The temperment on her two adults were what a Dobermans should be.Her dogs are raised in her house with lots of land to excersice and train on.I definetely wouldnt think twice about getting one of her pups.But i happened to have found a breeder in Virginia that i want to get a pup from in the near future.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
What health testing? What longevity of the lines? What titles to show worthiness of the dogs being bred? Only uses the resident male. I won't even comment on conformation. Did you happen to notice that poor Anya will have TWO litters in 2010? That single fact would be all it would take for me not to support this breeder with my money.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
The fact that she says American dobes are more prone to health issues than Euros would make me run far far away. Sounds like just another Euro greeder to me.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What health testing? What longevity of the lines? What titles to show worthiness of the dogs being bred? Only uses the resident male. I won't even comment on conformation. Did you happen to notice that poor Anya will have TWO litters in 2010? That single fact would be all it would take for me not to support this breeder with my money.

Yes, I also noticed that about poor Anya, 2 litters in one year :busted_red:-

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all!

I've noticed many of the same things you have, and already passed along my thoughts to my friend. Your input will help him immensely. He's an intelligent person who will take everything into consideration before making a decision. I know he's already visited with a few breeders and is evaluating all he has seen and heard. I also told him about DT so he may be reading this himself.

Anyone else? Anyone use them as trainers?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tricia - thx for the input. May I ask what you see in the conformation? Asking for myself, as I'm still learning about such things.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have a couple of Half Sisters of Petey's in their breeding program. Their sire Euros died at only 7. We were told it was from bad antibiotics. One of Zahra's puppies was in Monty's OB class last month and he was adorable and had a nice temperament, he reminded me of Petey.
Wow. "Bad antibiotics"? That's a new one for me. Are Anya and Zasha Petey's half sisters? I don't remember where Petey was from, but for some reason I thought he was somehow connected to this breeder. I may be way off base with this; I may be confusing you with someone else. Just seemed to click again when you said they have a couple of Petey's half sisters. Oh and I do notice we're coming up on another "Petey Day" :):):):):)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Run - run far away....

·
Banned
72 Posts

First off titles to me are worthless. I don't need a medal or someone to tell me my dog can work or has the right size head- I can decide that for myself. I stay away from dog people like that for the simple reason all they ever do is bad mouth eachother before finding out any facts. What difference does it make I use the same male? He produces great puppies and anyone who meets him falls in love with him. I have a very small breeding program because all my dogs are family pets and not kennel kept like plenty of other breeders out there. Any research you do shows that Euro dobermans do have better not only health but temperament as well so maybe people that are so stuck on American dobermans should read up a little more on what their dogs are more prone to. And as far as my dogs having two litters a year- as per my vet as long as they are young and healthy there is no reason why they can't. I take better care of my dogs than most breeders I have checked in on before finding the dogs to start my breeding program and if you actually spent the time to talk to me or come visit them you would see that rather than making a judgement based on my website. I pride myself in having wonderful family dobermans and I believe that anyone who has gotten a dog from me in the past would agree since they keep such strong relationships with me years after I sold them a dog. So obviously this is more than just a way to make money for me. Next time before you have so much to say about something you might want to make sure the info you have is actually correct.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Their protection training isn't very good IMO.
I don't do the work for titles I do the bite work for fun and because the dogs like it. Those videos were training. Any training you do there are mistakes. I am not pretending to be perfect. I never said I had shutzhund titled dogs and would never because that's not what I am into. There are different styles of bite work. All I need to know is that my dog has enough confidence to protect me if needed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
THIS IS FROM YOUR WEBSITE

Unfortunately American Dobermans are more prone to more health problems than the European Dobermans are because of the breed standards they have in Europe. For some reason American breeders are not held to the same standards of breeding and the Doberman breed is the one who suffers for it. This is another reason why I have decided to breed only European lined dobermans. As I said before I had American Dobermans in the past and their health is just not the same as the dobermans that I have now.

DUH,,,,,,, GEE , LOOKS LIKE YOUR ONE OF THOSE BACKYARD AMERICIAN BREEDERS NOT HELD TO THE SAME STANDARDS :sick:

·
Banned
72 Posts
Really? I would love to know why you say I am a backyard breeder. I have done health testing on all of my dogs before I breed them and they have the best temperaments you could ask for in a Doberman. Funny how anyone commenting on these posts that has met me or my dogs has nothing but good things to say about me and anyone who did not is saying negative things but I wonder where you are getting your information and who you are to even make these comments. All I can do as a breeder is try to find the best lines to purchase dogs from (in my opinion) to breed. I have turned down so many people in the past who have wanted to breed to my stud because I did not feel their female was qualified to be producing puppies, so anyone who says I just do this for money really does not know me. So once again before you make judgements you might want to talk to either myself or someone who has actually done business with me in the past. I pride myself on being there for people who purchase puppies from me and am there for them all every step of the way. If you happen to believe against what the majority of tests show from European dobermans being healthier than American dobermans than that's your choice but I have my opinion as well and don't appreciate people saying negative things about my breeding program after all the time and dedication I have spent to try to help make the breed better.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
If you happen to believe against what the majority of tests show from European dobermans being healthier than American dobermans than that's your choice but I have my opinion
I'd like to see your facts on this... Or where you got your statistic from

As far as health testing what do you test for? I don't see anywhere you mention that you health test...

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Meghan5344:

What specifically are YOU doing to better the Doberman breed? What warrants your breeding program?

If titles are worthless to you, how do you determine if your dogs are breed worthy? Having a few dogs that can breed does not warrant a breeding program.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts