Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nubis's Mom did a good job taping, however the left post needed to be in further and he shook it out a little.
We had to get the posts in asap, as the flapping ears was driving him bonkers.
we will redo the ears tomorrow, as tonight it was a test run of sorts, and as they say practice makes perfect, plus i got lots of tape and backer rod, hehehe.

I do like the ear crop and when posted properly, should stand at a nice position, without a need for a brace, hopefully.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Hey, for a first posting, they look pretty darn good. You really have to stretch the ear up and tape while the tension is on the ear. If you let the tension off when you tape, the ear will slip down making the inserted post loose, post pops out first head shake or two. They shake their heads when the posting has something wrong or the tape is too tight. A correctly posted pup will not continue to protest beyond 5/10 minutes. You dont want to correct your pup when he is telling you something is wrong with the posting job. You get the tape too tight and ignore or punish him for protesting, you have dead ear tissue and a big problem.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It's difficult to see and I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the natural crease on the forward part of the ear where it joins the top of the head has been uncreased and the bit that should be folded back has been unfolded...

·
Registered
12,003 Posts
Nubis'sDad - my wife learned to do Amy's ears, a decade ago / not me.

Early on, "smarty pants" puppy Amy, would go under our solid oak coffee table, rub her head under the glass top, within a few minutes after a 20 minute tape job.
- then back to another tape job, with a squirmish pup, that wanted to break apart, all the effort.
Dad then had to get his "power training hat on & lay down the LAW...lol".
Then our young Amy was not allowed to run & park under the coffee table, and rub her taped ears, any more...we still laugh, she figured this out..so quickly...little bum.
- I felt like, I was on coffee table watch

Keep up the good work !!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. !!!!
We will be reposting, at least the one ear today and possibly the other, it really was a calm introduction and reassurance for Nubis, that all was well, because he was really aggravated with the flapping of the ears, and started to become unruly boy, heheh.
There are definately a few glitches and his pocket is really small, so tapering of the bottom portion is a must.
Today, the one that popped occasionally bugs him, so he might be one ear up, one down for a few hours till Nubis'sMom gets back.
I think we got off on a good start with the intial post, as he understood, we are just trying to help comfort him.
Nubis can be a little impatient boy, so I am glad we have gotten some basic commands into him. Now pull out his special duck, and he will do some rapid fired drills, sitting, up, down, head down, paw.go back, etc. and he gots lots of encouraging praise and the bugger eats it up.
THe main thing is at this stage we are having a blast, so when he totally goes off the wall, and gets a very short time out, he does not like that and starting to grasp, bad behaviour is not tolerated but we will resume again, once he has a short moment, to ponder his last move.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nubis'sDad -
Dad then had to get his "power training hat on & lay down the LAW...lol".

- I felt like, I was on coffee table watch

Keep up the good work !!
We really think alike lololol....
I retired my beret, but now I wear my beannie HD cap. Ole Nubis, sticks by my side then, cuz is it a walk, car ride, fetch, mini training session, floor play, etc. hehehehe

He's such a cutie.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Thanks for the advice. !!!!
We will be reposting, at least the one ear today and possibly the other, it really was a calm introduction and reassurance for Nubis, that all was well, because he was really aggravated with the flapping of the ears, and started to become unruly boy, heheh.
There are definately a few glitches and his pocket is really small, so tapering of the bottom portion is a must.
Today, the one that popped occasionally bugs him, so he might be one ear up, one down for a few hours till Nubis'sMom gets back.
I think we got off on a good start with the intial post, as he understood, we are just trying to help comfort him.
Nubis can be a little impatient boy, so I am glad we have gotten some basic commands into him. Now pull out his special duck, and he will do some rapid fired drills, sitting, up, down, head down, paw.go back, etc. and he gots lots of encouraging praise and the bugger eats it up.
THe main thing is at this stage we are having a blast, so when he totally goes off the wall, and gets a very short time out, he does not like that and starting to grasp, bad behaviour is not tolerated but we will resume again, once he has a short moment, to ponder his last move.
Reference to the bolded part above.

The ears should not be flapping. If they are, they are too lose. Being too loose is caused by not pulling the ear up enough when taping and that is also why they will pop out. Being too loose will bug the crap out of your puppy and cause him to shake his head.

When you pull the ears up and tape with the tension on the ear, it will make the post sit firmly in the ear. There will be no flopping of the ears. They won't be rigid hard in the ear, but not loose either.:write:

·
Premium Member
9,949 Posts
Hey Nubisdad,

Pay particular attention to the advice to make sure when posting that your wife is keeping tension on the ear and pulling up on the ear and down on the post so that until she gets the first wrap of tape at the bottom everything is still in place.

I see two things that you'll want to correct immediately along with making sure that the post stay in the base of the ear (trimming the bottom of the post if the opening is small is the solution to getting it all the way down into the base).

If she is using backing rod and is taping it with duct tape to stiffen it she needs to also tape it with the breathable low stick tape (Johnson & Johnson Zonas or Coach Athletic tape) so that the duct tape is not against the ear. Looks like there is exposed duct tape at the bottom of the post where it popped out of the base.

The other thing that you really really want to make sure is not happening is that I can see the tips of the ears are not taped and the post isn't long enough for them to be taped. Always start out with a post much too long and after the post is in and taped then put your thumb on the tip of the ear--which should be taped to the post--and cut off the excess length of post. If your thumb is over the tip of the ear you can't accidentally cut the tip of the ear but if you don't tape the entire tip of the ear to the post you'll end up with the tips curling back and once they start to do that you'll have one heck of time straightening them out.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reference to the bolded part above.

The ears should not be flapping..:write:
Sorry for the confusion...
When I meant, the ears flapping. It was after the foam brace came off and he wasn't use to the ears flapping around up top.
once we did the posts, he did the initial shakes bcuz it was foreign and the one post came out at the bottom. We really are the ones, that know that the one post came out and it is not really bothering him. Still it has to be fixed and the night got away from us. So tomorrow am now.

Yes its backer rod. I didn't use the duct tape yet. So the bottom is just rod.
The next set we have ready are longer and tapered. We will also follow all the suggestions with regards to positioning the ear while taping and fully dressing them with tape as it is getting really cold here now and i don't want to risk the exposed ear getting too cold on walks.
My wife has read the suggestions and is getting a better understanding on what is needed.

Thanks LindaH and dobebug!!!!

Reactions: LindaH
1 - 9 of 9 Posts