Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Nubis met a skunk. Unfourtunately, i couldnt trust him to get him in the picture. Looking back, I should have, cuz he just looked at it, like "ya, its another cat/kitten".
I felt bad for the little skunk, he was the size of a little kitten and clearly lost.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ummm, I think it's ok that Nubis and baby skunk didn't become friends. That's not a friendship I would want my dogs to have. Hopefully they will just stay back and bark, unfortunately I doubt they will just ignore it.

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
Yeah, be glad Nubis didn't want to make friends.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Great photo Nubis'sDad - sure look cute when they are still babies / not so nice, when they grow up.

Years ago, after midnight I thought I saw a black stray cat & sicked Amy on it...to chase it off our property.
She took off like a speed demon, and must of caught up to it (ON NO - A SKUNK).
Comes back, spray in her mouth and eyes / gagging outside, for 5 minutes minutes straight...foam kept coming out of her mouth.

I felt like a responsible dork...got her in the tub...than covered the leather couch with old blankets, and sleep nose to nose with her overnight.
- don't ask me why, I was waking up...all the time / but Amy wouldn't sleep on the floor, by herself
Vinegar and water in a heated crock pot....removed the inside oder & many loads of laundry.

Now at night, I ask Amy to help Dad look for Mr Skunky and we don't want to get in a fight tonight...she now proceeds with caution, walking outside in the dark.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ummm, I think it's ok that Nubis and baby skunk didn't become friends. That's not a friendship I would want my dogs to have. Hopefully they will just stay back and bark, unfortunately I doubt they will just ignore it.
Thanks.
hahah, Yeah, it was a one off.... I told him, you don't want to make friends with them.

Reactions: *Wrigley*

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mom used to have a Boxer that tried to make friends with a skunk. Not a place you want to go.
Thanks,
yeah, some animals dont play nice. one night i guess my cat tried to make friends with a raccoon and it cost him a trip to the vet and stitches.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Joe got skunked about a year ago and I almost never got the smell off him. I swear from time to time I can still smell it.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great photo Nubis'sDad - sure look cute when they are still babies / not so nice, when they grow up.

Years ago, after midnight I thought I saw a black stray cat & sicked Amy on it...to chase it off our property.
She took off like a speed demon, and must of caught up to it (ON NO - A SKUNK).
Comes back, spray in her mouth and eyes / gagging outside, for 5 minutes minutes straight...foam kept coming out of her mouth.

I felt like a responsible dork...got her in the tub...than covered the leather couch with old blankets, and sleep nose to nose with her overnight.
- don't ask me why, I was waking up...all the time / but Amy wouldn't sleep on the floor, by herself
Vinegar and water in a heated crock pot....removed the inside oder & many loads of laundry.

Now at night, I ask Amy to help Dad look for Mr Skunky and we don't want to get in a fight tonight...she now proceeds with caution, walking outside in the dark.
Thanks...
nice story about your skunk episode, and sleeping with her. lol
Ive stumbled quite close to a few skunks in my day, just let them pass by and all was good. When I was a teen, coming back from fishing, I crossed paths with a Lynx and once we had our stare off, he moved on, but it was wicked being that close to a Lynx. A month or so later, my cousins Dobe, Kaiser (1) went into his part of the woods and was attacked by him, but good ole Kaiser (1), took him out. Costing him a nice stay at the vets.

PS: So i have always wondered what happens when Amy catches the cat?

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe got skunked about a year ago and I almost never got the smell off him. I swear from time to time I can still smell it.
Thanks
I bet ya did, those suckers reeeeeek.....

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,256 Posts
My first dobe surprised a skunk while we were on a walk, and went rolling down a bank all tangled up with it while I shouted "No! No! Come, come, you stupid idiot!!" and my life flashed before my eyes.
Well, needless to say, he didn't come and got sprayed right between the eyes at close range.
We lived in a second floor apartment and it was a Sunday night so we couldn't buy anything to start his de-skunking because everything was closed--it was not a pleasant night.

Fast forward--
1. For years (it seems) every time that dog got his forehead wet, he smelled of skunk.
2. Next time we saw a mama skunk and her babies, my life flashed before my eyes again.....but he walked by very carefully, trying to look invisible, with his head turned away from the skunk and his eyes averted. Smart dog!

Glad to hear you managed to avoid the grand experience of skunking :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks...nice story about your skunk episode, and sleeping with her. lol...........PS: So i have always wondered what happens when Amy catches the cat?
When Amy was young, a couple got a Rottie pup and I took Amy into their house to socialize it.
Just as we entered through the door way, their darn cat jumps square on Amy's head...off the kitchen table / Amy probably never forgot, that time.

Just last year, Amy still gets revved up over stray cats...let her outside the side door, and she immediately started to try and get under my pickup...she could smell it.
- I am thinking: please let it be a cat / and not another skunk...LOL...because its dark outside
So the old girl, is trying her best, searching frantically under the truck...all the hackles UP.
Cat quickly runs out the opposite side, and immendiately Amy is reversing from under the vehicle and she is up and running in hot persuit.
She crossed over our property and the next few lots, and when the cat crossed the road...she put her brakes on.
Dad was pretty proud of Amy, that night (she ran like a spring chicken)...at 10.5 y/o.
I don't know how many times I told her she was a good girl, protecting her Mom & Dad...and the chipmunk I tammed enough to eat peanuts, from between my fingers.
- she was so happy, I could see a smile on her face
- she has never caught a stray cat...I would call her off, if she ever got too close / their fast enough with a head start, to keep out of trouble

Now the inside declawed cat next door, is rarely outside with the lady of the house.
But when their very tame cat is outside, Amy will just sniff it (until Dad says enough) and not chase it...got to be friendly, with good neighbors.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Baby skunks are adorable ! When I first moved into my house, I had a problem with Raccoons, so I bought a live trap. Within a month I caught no raccoons, 5 cats and 13 SKUNKS !! I became quite the Skunk whisperer. I took them all out of town about 10 miles and in the last 6 yrs have only smelled a skunk once ! :D

So far my dog has never seen a skunk ( crossing fingers ) but just yesterday she met and chased a badger. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Reuben met skunks in the back yard not infrequently. If a dog is polite, a skunk is polite back. He would sniff noses with them, and then they would just wander slowly around the yard side by side. I have a friend with an English Shepherd that is also polite and friendly with skunks... she said a skunk will often join them on their walks.

Rachael will NEVER learn! She gets skunked routinely... it is awful! The last two or three times she has been skunked, she was obviously diving in and almost on them with a wide open mouth... yup... in her mouth and right down her throat! There is NO WAY to clean the inside of a dog, and her breath has the most indescribable reek for weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts