Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my little boy is attending his first day of OB School today.
I am racked with anticipation to see how he fits in.
He might not eat some of his kibble today, as he will be getting lots of reward treats, even if I cheap out and give little teeny pieces. I was telling Nubis'sMom, I bet I could give him little pieces of cardboard as he just loves the reward.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Enjoy the OB fun together, Nubis will make Dad proud.
- he will probably be introduced to a few nice ladies there, that whats to hug him / your boy, will lap it up

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Oh, today is going to be a fun day!

LOL You have one of those too! Kyrah will work for a crumb or carrot! I do use very small treats since Kyrah has to watch her weight.

Cant wait for an update of today's events! I am sure he will be the star student!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the best answer to sum it up, tired and stressed out. hahaha

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enjoy the OB fun together, Nubis will make Dad proud.
- he will probably be introduced to a few nice ladies there, that whats to hug him / your boy, will lap it up
Thanks
Well, he definately made me proud, when I had his focus and he was hitting all the commands very fast. Other than being my boy, when focused, I think the trainer could tell, he knew his stuff. Crap, she comes over and talks to him, and he sits before she can say it, down when commanded , up and off when he tried to jump up. hehehe
As Nubis'sMom, summed it up, it was sensory overload for him. with so many distractions, smells, intercom noises, people staring in, other dogs, people. He did learn to relax a little towards the end.
I could tell he was stressed, whining, Big ole vocal yawns, drooling at one point. and hungry.. Not sure, what i was thinking, not giving him lunch before hand, cuz I am sure he was becoming hornery boy, because he was hungry.
Hopefully, next week, with some grub in his belly, and the novelty wearing off, I can get his focus back, but this is one of the reasons, we opted for it, whereas one on one , in the house , on walks he is awesome with focus and responding to commands.
I am not a social butterfly and only have a small amount of family and frieds, so that is definately not something he is accustomed to.
Yeah, he loves women more than men, I tell Nubis'sMom, Nubis is the one getting all the attention. heheheh

Yay Nubis!

I hope he has a great first day. Make sure to let us know how it goes.
Thanks, Pictures say more than words. LOL

And used kleenex as an extra special reward--I have one of those too.

Have a good time at school!
THanks,,, he hasnt got any of those yet, but I could also take a 24 pack of toilet paper rolls, he loves them. heheh

Oh, today is going to be a fun day!

LOL You have one of those too! Kyrah will work for a crumb or carrot! I do use very small treats since Kyrah has to watch her weight.

Cant wait for an update of today's events! I am sure he will be the star student!
I think the distractions, people and dogs were more high value for him than treats. I think he was the star student because of his whining and vocal yawns. He did do Excellent on executing commands when he wasnt distracted.

Good luck! :D
Thanks

You can always use his kibble for rewards
Thanks,I think i will try that the next time, cuz If their taking forever, while people are getting their dogs to obey the commands, i have to keep giving him reps and his eating a ton of treats.

It was a good lesson for me,,as i have to work on his focus more with the watch me command. I will start working him more with the clicker, as she allowed that and it helped him, as he was use to the clicker.
I also have to find a better word than Okay, for the release command,,,, Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
That picture is adorable! Looks like it was a great day! I agree I used ok for Lexi (rip) as a release command and it was not a good idea at all! I use "release" now. I tried to pick something I or someone else does not use every other sentence. It has worked great for me. They also know that if they are in a down I can say another command like come or up and it releases them also.

I personally wouldnt feed him too much before training a hungry dog is more likely to perform for you than a full dog.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That picture is adorable! Looks like it was a great day! I agree I used ok for Lexi (rip) as a release command and it was not a good idea at all! I use "release" now. I tried to pick something I or someone else does not use every other sentence. It has worked great for me. They also know that if they are in a down I can say another command like come or up and it releases them also.

I personally wouldnt feed him too much before training a hungry dog is more likely to perform for you than a full dog.
Thanks....
I kinda seen Okay, was not the best choice prior to today, a couple of times, i would be putting Nubis through some sessions, and would say, ok in conversation and he would release, hehehe....
Maybe release is good or even get fancy and use a german translation for release hehe. Even today, Nubis was all over the place and the lady, said down next to me, and he goes down....im thinking listen to me buddy...geez...
No Nubis wouldnt have a problem with treats on a full stomach hehe..

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
My release word for Lucky and Ilka is "farewell". My trainer uses "free" for his dogs. It can be just about anything you want, as long as you are consistant.

As for the "watch me" or "attention" command, my trainer doesn't like it. He says that the dog's name should be the cue for the dog to look at you. So, instead of you saying "Nubis, watch me" and clicking and treating when he looks at you, he would have you just say "Nubis", and do the click and treat.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I always used the word "OK", to release Amy.
Quick and easy to say, plus the term has 2 syllibols and a strong audio presence.
I just think, easy words to say & easy words for the dog to hear...work best.
- I wouldn't change the command word...just keep working it

Nubis'sDad - you and the Mrs. will have to plan Nubis graduation party, in a few months...He-He

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Quick and easy to say, plus the term has 2 syllibols and a strong audio presence.

Nubis'sDad - you and the Mrs. will have to plan Nubis graduation party, in a few months...He-He
I think the problem he was having with "ok" was the same as I in the past. You say ok about a thousand times a day and when you dont really mean to release your dog you do it by accident.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My release word for Lucky and Ilka is "farewell". My trainer uses "free" for his dogs. It can be just about anything you want, as long as you are consistant.

As for the "watch me" or "attention" command, my trainer doesn't like it. He says that the dog's name should be the cue for the dog to look at you. So, instead of you saying "Nubis, watch me" and clicking and treating when he looks at you, he would have you just say "Nubis", and do the click and treat.
Thanks
The watch me command is kinda new for me and I usually use his Name to address him however I have been guilty of not using it bcuz if one and one with limited distractions I omit it...so that today was causing him issues. I have to start using it now consistently so he starts realizing to get ready for a command. Because I think today at times, he wasn't sure what he should be listening for, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Rosemary

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like he had a fun day! I'm glad it went well. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the classes go.
Thanks.
I'm looking forward to it too, as long as the doberkid with ADHD doesn't get us kicked out. Lol.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I'm kinda at a quandry with changing the okay, as I have used it before with my previous dobes. I just have to be careful using it one on one. The trainer tried to justify not using it, in case someone else says it releasing him. I was thinking, he shouldn't be listening to anyone else saying it, if he is under my command.
I think for Nubis's grad, maybe me and the missus will get a hotel room LOL

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the problem he was having with "ok" was the same as I in the past. You say ok about a thousand times a day and when you dont really mean to release your dog you do it by accident.
Thanks. like she said,^^^^

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I do use "okay" with Lucky and Ilka to let them know they can eat their food, leave their beds, or go through the back door, but everything else is "farewell". I make them wait for their food, and if you don't say "Okay, Lucky" just the right way, he won't eat, just sit there and wait for the correct words and intonation. :roflmao:

ETA: My trainer says nothing around his house is "free" anymore. It's "at no charge" to avoid confusing the dogs.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad
1 - 20 of 39 Posts