Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the little boy into the vet, yesterday and confirmed he had Kennel Cough. I noticed on the weekend this increasing cough, and sure enuf he had it.
He had a bit of a high fever and an inflammed throat, so now he is on Antibiotics and Anti inflammatories.
Had to curb back his frissbee/ball playing cuz the little bugger, doesnt even know his sick and would just run it down , even if he was hacking. lol

I am suspecting he got it a PetSmart, when I got his nails done.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Sending good thoughts to Nubis for a very fast recovery. Thankfully you caught it quickly and took him in to the vet. Is he on Doxy?

That's one of those shots/boosters I used to wonder whether to do or not but finally decided I should and am glad.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Aw poor guy! They can pick it up anywhere, just like us with the common cold.

Unfortunately the vaccine isn't 100% effective because there are so many strains. I've fostered many dogs over the years with raging kennel cough/upper respiratory infections. Zelda has played with, licked, and shared water bowls with these dogs. She's never once caught the cough from them. Ironically, I took her to work with me one day years ago at a vet clinic, she was there for 4 hours and caught KC. It's a crap shoot!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sending good thoughts to Nubis for a very fast recovery. Thankfully you caught it quickly and took him in to the vet. Is he on Doxy?

That's one of those shots/boosters I used to wonder whether to do or not but finally decided I should and am glad.
Thanks
No, he is Apo Amoxi-clav and some Meta stuff for anti inflammatory. We didn't hear him, coughing last night, so that was a good sign.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aw poor guy! They can pick it up anywhere, just like us with the common cold.

Unfortunately the vaccine isn't 100% effective because there are so many strains. I've fostered many dogs over the years with raging kennel cough/upper respiratory infections. Zelda has played with, licked, and shared water bowls with these dogs. She's never once caught the cough from them. Ironically, I took her to work with me one day years ago at a vet clinic, she was there for 4 hours and caught KC. It's a crap shoot!
Thanks
Yeah funny thing I had him prev at PETsMART for OB training,walkarounds, and prev nail trimmings and not a problem. So who knows.
He likes sticking his head out the window of the truck when im driving so maybe he got it that way. I stopped letting him do that and only let him stick his head out when were stopped. Hehehe

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Poor boy I think this is the only canine disease I have has the privilege of not dealing with. *cross fingers/knock on wood* I will keep your boy in my thought hugz to him

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awww....poor Nubis. Hope he gets to feeling his old self again. Hugs and nose pokes from Maui.
Thanks
This really hasn't phased him except when he starts hacking out a lung and then he carry's on again. Its hard slowing down his fetch games. As he starts whining and talking back. LOL

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poor boy I think this is the only canine disease I have has the privilege of not dealing with. *cross fingers/knock on wood* I will keep your boy in my thought hugz to him
Thanks
Me too, out of all the dogs I have had and been around, this is the first for me.
I have a quiet neighborhood with a few backyard dogs and when he coughed out there, would shut up barking for awhile. They prolly thought what was that god wrenching noise. Hahaha

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Everytime my friend takes her Malinois to a show they come back with Kennel Cough. Now her dogs are vaccined up so either it is a strain they are not protected against or they just get one that they are but a weak bout of it.
It is so annoying when you go somewhere and your dog ends up ill because of it.

Well done for taking it seriously and acting so promptly, hugs to Nubis and tell him we hope he gets well soon. :kiss:

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: kwhite30

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everytime my friend takes her Malinois to a show they come back with Kennel Cough. Now her dogs are vaccined up so either it is a strain they are not protected against or they just get one that they are but a weak bout of it.
It is so annoying when you go somewhere and your dog ends up ill because of it.

Well done for taking it seriously and acting so promptly, hugs to Nubis and tell him we hope he gets well soon. :kiss:
Thanks
He seems to be doing better, as his coughing has decreased, especially if we play fetch.
This morning when he got up, he got sick and then wouldn't eat. But I read it can be a side effect, so hopefully tonight he eats some.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Nox, Stryker2, CH4SURE, and Amelia.
Well, this morning he is bouncing around again and ate a big bowl of food. We are holding off for a few hours before giving him his antibiotic as we suspect, one of the side effects is vomiting and loss of appetite. Last night he spit out his strawberry as we spiked it and he figured it out. So we put it in cheese and he ate it but a couple hours later he puked basically his whole stomach up. If he vomits up again, we might stop giving it to him, as his cough is gone now.
When he doesn't eat, it scares me cuz I know he is definitely sick then for Nubis.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My dogs have always had doxy with kennel cough or other upper rep infections, so I'm not fimiliar with what you said theyd given you. BUT, I think antibiotics are the same in dogs as in humans in that you really need to follow through with the perscription, not just give them to him until the symptoms disappear. tough though if he cant keep food down. If the ab they gave you doesnt have to be give with food, maybe you could alter when he gets it vs. when he eats???

·
Registered
Jalyn Live in the Moment ‘Helo Agathon’ Harper x Godric DOB 3/4/2019
7,602 Posts
I hope Nubis has a speedy recovery. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts