Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: Got back from Florida yesterday and taking a moment to post some pics. Emily took first place on Saturday and second place on Sunday in Novice Juniors. There were 13 kids in the ring on Saturday so we were very pleased with the results. Sunday was tough; we only need one more win for her to progress to Open. :tropthy:

I had no idea there are pet friendly houses for rent by the day around Orlando that cost less then most of the hotels in the area. The “villa” we rented slept 10, had a pool with a Jacuzzi, and had no additional pet fees. Of course, the kids had to argue over bedrooms anyway. Two kids, three bedrooms to choose from, life is so tough. :cry: In the kitchen we got a chuckle over a notebook of helpful information that included a section about dining while in America. The rental agency we worked with was geared towards renting to people visiting from the UK and a pleasure to do business with.

I hate we never made over to the Dobe ring. The Juniors showed in the afternoon and the Dobes went in the ring in the morning. The best strategy seemed to be to take it easy in the mornings so we did. I would have liked to have seen the dogs and meet some folks.

Phil

Why do the dogs at dog shows seem to always eat better then the people? :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Congrats! They look great out there.

Reactions: ps4570

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
I can tell that she is progressing! I love hearing about how she is doing and seeing pictures. My 11 year old is going to enter the ring this year - we still need to take some handling classes, but the night that they are on is the same as summer swim meets - Ugghhhh! She might go to a show before she takes a class, but I guess can learn by doing - LOL!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Wow! Congratulations. You must be very proud of both your girls!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You must be so proud! I just showed the photos to my 6 year old step-daughter (Abbey) and now she is prancing around the room with Blade on a pink rhinestone lead she took from one of her toys. It is hilarious to see a macho 90 lb doberman turned to a complete wimp by a 40lb 6 year old. He loves the extra attention, even at the expense of his pride!

I plan on taking my Abbey to the show in Raleigh over Labor day. Hopefully we will get to see your girls in action.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell that she is progressing! I love hearing about how she is doing and seeing pictures. My 11 year old is going to enter the ring this year - we still need to take some handling classes, but the night that they are on is the same as summer swim meets - Ugghhhh! She might go to a show before she takes a class, but I guess can learn by doing - LOL!
Mary Jo, I'm looking forward to hearing about your daughter's adventures in the show ring. We have been very fortunate to find some folks locally who really enjoy working with Juniors and Emily usually attends some sort of training session a couple of times a week. We've also had to make some hard choices regarding other sports. It appears showing dogs is Emily's thing. Time will tell.

You must be so proud! I just showed the photos to my 6 year old step-daughter (Abbey) and now she is prancing around the room with Blade on a pink rhinestone lead she took from one of her toys. It is hilarious to see a macho 90 lb doberman turned to a complete wimp by a 40lb 6 year old. He loves the extra attention, even at the expense of his pride!

I plan on taking my Abbey to the show in Raleigh over Labor day. Hopefully we will get to see your girls in action.
LOL! I'll have to show Em your post. Emily has been talking about working with dogs since she was four. Six years later, here we are.

Thanks again all!

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Mary Jo, I'm looking forward to hearing about your daughter's adventures in the show ring. We have been very fortunate to find some folks locally who really enjoy working with Juniors and Emily usually attends some sort of training session a couple of times a week. We've also had to make some hard choices regarding other sports. It appears showing dogs is Emily's thing. Time will tell.
Yeah, with kids you just never know what they will be interested in next. I do think it is so important to have something that they enjoy - whatever that might be. I think it is great that your daughter is taking a big interest in showing dogs.

Swimming is definately my older daughters sport and she is pretty good at it. I think that the dog stuff will take a back seat to that...........but you never know. She is definately more graceful in the water than out - but can hopefully run around the dog show ring without tripping over the feet that seem to be growing at a much faster rate than the rest of her!

My younger daughter is 9 and has not shown an interest in dog sports yet, and hates going to dog shows "they are BORING Mom!!". She is also a pretty good swimmer ...........but soccer is fun too......... and horse back riding looks like a blast............ All I know is that the more expensive it is, the more interested she is in it :). I think she believes that money grows on trees........ I keep searching for that money tree- LOL!

I look forward to more news on your daughters accomplishments - it is encouraging me to enter mine and let her try it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She might go to a show before she takes a class, but I guess can learn by doing - LOL!
Emily and I were just going over the comments from our recent postings and she reminded me that for her first show she hadn't any ring experience/classes either. We were such newbies, the thought of confirmation classes hadn't even come to mind. At Em's first show (she tells me she was so nervous her teeth her chattering) our breeder was there to help, so we weren't completely clueless or were we? :) I have a picture of Lena scratching her neck in front of the judge. Em won't let me post it though. The judge was very nice about it. She said to Emily, it looks like she (Lena) has an itch. Everyone, including Emily laughed.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Way to go Emily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is really bringing home the wins! I guess we all know who to call if we need a handler in a few years :)

Maybe we will try to make it to the show over labor day so we can see you all as well. I am assuming that Em will be entered with Lena? That might be a motivation to go :D

Great job Emily........Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Way to go Emily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is really bringing home the wins! I guess we all know who to call if we need a handler in a few years :)

Maybe we will try to make it to the show over labor day so we can see you all as well. I am assuming that Em will be entered with Lena? That might be a motivation to go :D

Great job Emily........Keep up the good work!
Thanks Amanda! We are planning to enter the Tar Heel in Raleigh over Labor Day. I really thank everyone for their support.

Emily

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I just marked it on my calender. We have a funky training schedule, so I cant make any 100% promises......but I will do my best to be in the area that weekend so I can make it.

Good Luck :) Practice, Practice, Practice :)

When I was taking Ziris to conformation classes, stacking blocks really helped me. Im a super mega uber-novice when it comes to showing though :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts