Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I use them and to be honest if you can see the prongs it isn't on correctly so it wouldnt do much to the dog if you used it.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
For the picture with the yard - i thought underground fence. I don't know we don't have underground fences out here as everyone has 6 foot cement block walls.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'm pretty sure thats a collar for an underground fence...not an e-collar for training purposes.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Here in Spain if you have the likes of a Dobe you have to have a 2 metre high fence and a lockable gate, I think the authorities would have kittens if I just used an electronic fence and not one made of mesh.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question regarding electronic fences as I am unfamiliar with them. What happens if the dog makes it past the zapping point and then realizes if they go back over this line they will get zapped again so they don't renter the perimeter. Does this happen?

I would be too afraid of the dog getting past that and getting hit by a car or taking off.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Question regarding electronic fences as I am unfamiliar with them. What happens if the dog makes it past the zapping point and then realizes if they go back over this line they will get zapped again so they don't renter the perimeter. Does this happen?

I would be too afraid of the dog getting past that and getting hit by a car or taking off.
Yes, this happens more often than I'd like to see myself and why I woudn't use one. Especially with high prey drive breeds/dogs. It's worth the zap to chase the squirrel/rabbit/cat but not worth the zap to come back in. It also doesn't keep other critters outside of your yard.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts

It differs, if they're loyal, they run back & get zapped again. But I've seen others run and not come back.
I don't use one, just seen others have success or failure.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Yes, it does happen. Personally, I would never use an electronic fence with my dogs. My min-pin has a very high chase drive and would endure the zapp to chase cars, bikes, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts