Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 10 weeks old. We picked her up from the breeder this past Saturday (9/26). She had her ears cropped at 7 weeks (9/8). This is my second doberman but first with ears cropped. Anyway I took off her post today because I noticed a blood spot on the tape at the tip of her one ear. I did not want to tape over the irritated area but it is at the tip of her ear. Is it acceptable to tape like this (see image) temporarily? One other question, but how necessary is the bridge? She seems to not scratch or shake nearly as much when there is no bridge.

Lastly, I only had access to 5/8" backer rods but just purchased 3/8" and 1/2" and will be doing her next posting using the small 3/8" since she is pretty small (11 lbs).

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
It should be fine for awhile as long as you get it posted to the tip when it heals. Make sure the end of the post is at least as long as her ear. I try to make the post just a smidge longer than the ear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be fine for awhile as long as you get it posted to the tip when it heals. Make sure the end of the post is at least as long as her ear. I try to make the post just a smidge longer than the ear.
Ok thank you! The other post is slightly longer than the tip (I cut it down). I just did not want to make it that long for this ear since both sides of the very end are a little raw so I stopped it just short.

I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I only use a brace on a very young puppy with a new, just healed crop. I know people who always brace, and people like me who might brace at the very early stage in posting. To a large degree I think it's just a matter of choice.

Once that ear tip is healed make sure you are making the posts longer than the ear--you'll definitely wish you had if you end up with standing ears which curl at the tip and needed to be posted much longer just to get the tip straightened out.

And I would prefer to use small post material rather than large--much easier to get it to seat properly in the base of the ear.

Good luck--eventually it all gets to be mechanical and much easier than when you first start posting.

dobebug

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only use a brace on a very young puppy with a new, just healed crop. I know people who always brace, and people like me who might brace at the very early stage in posting. To a large degree I think it's just a matter of choice.

Once that ear tip is healed make sure you are making the posts longer than the ear--you'll definitely wish you had if you end up with standing ears which curl at the tip and needed to be posted much longer just to get the tip straightened out.

And I would prefer to use small post material rather than large--much easier to get it to seat properly in the base of the ear.

Good luck--eventually it all gets to be mechanical and much easier than when you first start posting.

dobebug
Awesome. Thank you so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts