Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2 yr and 9 mon old male dobie that has this thing on his right rear leg/paw. Please take a look at the pics.
Is this something that could hurt him or potentially grow bigger?

Thanks for any advise in advance.:nicejob:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Definitely needs a nail trim. My Doberman had a growth on his paw that started out looking like that one and got much bigger as time went by. It wasn't cancerous or uncomfortable for him, but we had it removed anyways. It's best to have a vet look at it and possibly take a sample to rule anything out. Hopefully the vet can trim his nails also before they start to cause discomfort.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
when in doubt........a Vet visit is needed.

could be a pressure sore..or who knows, might be something more sinister.

Let us know what your Vet says.

Hugz to your furkids!

eta..........do you have 2 Male Doberman? if so, YIKES...........Male Doberman are known to be male dog aggressive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when in doubt........a Vet visit is needed.

could be a pressure sore..or who knows, might be something more sinister.

Let us know what your Vet says.

Hugz to your furkids!

eta..........do you have 2 Male Doberman? if so, YIKES...........Male Doberman are known to be male dog aggressive.
Thank you all for your advise. Much appreciated. I sure will do bring him to tha...Vet and see what they say and will let y'all know.

I had 3 males. 2 of them not neutered and one is female and they were fine. No problem what soever. I had to rehome one cuz one too many...lol

Now I only have 2 males and one female.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hope you do not find that you have to rehome another if they start to..............not get along anymore.

having to rehome a dog is not funny. These dogs are very loyal to their owners, and rehoming is very stressfull for them.

Hope all goes well at the Vets.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thank you all for your advise. Much appreciated. I sure will do bring him to tha...Vet and see what they say and will let y'all know.

I had 3 males. 2 of them not neutered and one is female and they were fine. No problem what soever. I had to rehome one cuz one too many...lol

Now I only have 2 males and one female.
Your dog's foot needs to be examined by a good veterinarian, and some diagnostics performed.

Xrays most likely will be recommended, possibly a biopsy, depending on what the rads show.

The good folks here take very seriously a lifetime commitment to the pet they *choose to own and be responsible for* to the end of their days, with all that entails, including proper veterinary care.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Definitely see a vet and you definitely need to keep the nails shorter. The nails can easy get caught on something when running outside and it rip right out of the nail bed, saw that done before and it has to be very painful for them.

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Definitely see a vet and you definitely need to keep the nails shorter. The nails can easy get caught on something when running outside and it rip right out of the nail bed, saw that done before and it has to be very painful for them.
I just saw this happen the other day. It wasn't a Doberman but the nail came straight off and there was blood everywhere. Not something you want to happen.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,447 Posts
Kip had a bump like that on his hock--a rock hard swelling, but with no open sore like in your picture--it appeared rather suddenly. The vet said he thought it was old scar tissue that had been traumatized and swelled. He recommended laser therapy and the lump totally disappeared over 3-4 weeks.

It suddenly (overnight) showed up again months later--the vet still said scar tissue and we tried a topical steroid, I think. It disappeared as quickly as the previous time.

Again, in January it was back, but this time the skin had rubbed raw. The vet said it was likely to keep coming back, and could rub raw into a big ulcer, so we chose surgery. The surgery showed that it was scar tissue, but it has been very slow healing because of thin tight skin in that area, it rubs on the floor, etc, and Kip is a licker :(

Go to the vet--he should be able to feel the lump and take a good look at it, do a biopsy if necessary--it could be something bad or something more innocent like Kip's lump.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hey, sorry to jump in on this thread, but I just took my girl to the groomers for a nail trim, and she came back with nails that are as long as the pics by the OP!
The groomer has a Dobe herself, and says she keeps them this length for agility (Roxy is starting Agility One soon.)
Can someone tell me if I need a new groomer!?:confused:

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I agree with everyone else - he needs to see a vet. At minimum I'd want them to do a needle aspiration and check out the cells. Even if it's nothing, so to speak, I'd have it removed if it were on one of my dogs. Their feet are so busy, and at that size, I imagine it's likely to get irritated with normal activity.

Hey, sorry to jump in on this thread, but I just took my girl to the groomers for a nail trim, and she came back with nails that are as long as the pics by the OP!
The groomer has a Dobe herself, and says she keeps them this length for agility (Roxy is starting Agility One soon.)
I keep my girls nails way shorter than that for agility. I like their nails to be longer than show nail but short enough they don't click the floor, and although I've heard the argument from some fellow club members for long nails I personally just can't abide by their logic when applied to the Doberman structure.

With nails as long as in the OP's pictures, I'd be concerned about a nail getting caught in equipment and the dog ripping a nail out. That's probably an obvious concern, but more worrisome to me than my dog losing a nail (which isn't exactly a picnic), the longer nails change the way the dog stands on it's feet. Dobes should have tight, catlike feet because they stand on their toes, not on the center pad. If the nails get very long it splays their toes and they're forced to stand back on the pad which can cause pain in the foot and leg, as well as joint problems.

I especially wouldn't want my dogs trying to land on the pads of their feet to keep from hurting their toes due to long nails. Improper landing in agility is going to cause all kinds of problems in a chainlike reaction throughout the structure of the dog's body. When a Dobe lands further back on their feet due to long nails (or for any reason) the pasterns bear a heavier impact which will send a jar up through the arm and shoulder, which can cause them to hold their head up too high (trying to rock back to land instead of properly collecting after a jump - keeping their head down and body forward) upon landing affecting the neck and spine...bad, bad stuff.

You can run into all kinds of injuries just from something seemingly as small as long nails.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Personally, there is NO way I would have my dogs nails that long for several reasons. I dont like the way it looks, I dont want their nails clicking on the floors as they can ruin a hardwood floor in no time by leaving dents in the hardwood, they can mess up a vinyl floor, their nails actually cut it like a knife but most importantly, because its not safe for them. I saw a dog lose one that was running in the woods, it got snagged on something and it ripped right out of its nail bed. Also, when they start getting that long, if affects the way they walk. I saw a dog one time that its nails were so long, they curled under its toes almost and it walked like it was in pain.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
We run agility and I keep Bacchus' nails short (refer to brw1982). We run on dirt, padding and sprint turf. Never had a problem with them getting caught but I've seen other dogs lose a nail on the equipment. Painful looking and bloody.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts