Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my male getting up about three times during the night. We go to bed around 9:30-10:00 and he'll get up every few hours after that. He doesn't have to go to the bathroom because we let him out and he circles the yard and we go back in and back to sleep until he wants out again. I go out with him so I know he doesn't pee or poop. He gets plenty of physical and mental exercise every day. I can't give him Benadryl at night because Benadryl makes him vomit. He's very sensitive to medicine and always has been so I don't want to resort to meds if I don't have to. He just had his yearly checkup and everything came back normal. Does anyone have any experience with this or any opinions on what I can do? Are there any safe natural supplements that may help him sleep? My hubby just thinks he doesn't require much sleep but I need my sleep! I also want to note that he doesn't sleep much during the day so it's not like he's sleeping all day and not at night. He doesn't sleep much, period. Thanks in advance DT.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm having a problem with my male getting up about three times during the night. We go to bed around 9:30-10:00 and he'll get up every few hours after that. He doesn't have to go to the bathroom because we let him out and he circles the yard and we go back in and back to sleep until he wants out again. I go out with him so I know he doesn't pee or poop. He gets plenty of physical and mental exercise every day. I can't give him Benadryl at night because Benadryl makes him vomit. He's very sensitive to medicine and always has been so I don't want to resort to meds if I don't have to. He just had his yearly checkup and everything came back normal. Does anyone have any experience with this or any opinions on what I can do? Are there any safe natural supplements that may help him sleep? My hubby just thinks he doesn't require much sleep but I need my sleep! I also want to note that he doesn't sleep much during the day so it's not like he's sleeping all day and not at night. He doesn't sleep much, period. Thanks in advance DT.
If there isn't a medical problem, I think it's very possible he's figured out a good thing and got you trained pretty well...Mom and Dad will get up anytime I want them to.

I'd crate him at night, or at the very least *make* him go lie down. You might have a few sleepless nights enforcing this until he realizes you're not at his whim..but this will only be harder to stop the longer you allow it to go on.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Have you noticed any other changes in his behavior?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know he has me trained. I can't crate him. His previous owner crated him and he does not tolerate a crate well at all. He sleeps in our room. I am gonna try putting him on the laundry room tonight and try ignoring him. The laundry room is next to our bedroom.
I have not really noticed any other changes in his behavior. I am a worrier and the vet thought that tests weren't necessary other than the usual tests he gets for his yearly exam. He is on thyroid pills, but thyroid test was in normal range. He has always liked being outside but it is to hot this time of year to leave him out for long periods of time. So he's in and out throughout the day. He loves barking at birds and squirrels and we have plenty of those where we are.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
It's super hot here too for this time of year. Maybe he likes going outside in the middle of the night because it's cooler than during the day. You might try spending some time outside playing with him later in the evening.

If he checks out medically then I agree with Murreydobe. He's found a routine he prefers and he's training you to adhere to it. :)

Reactions: ICTDOBE and natdobe

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I'd make him go lie down. As long as it isn't medical and he doesn't have to go to the bathroom then just tell him to go back to bed. Eli sometimes gets up especially in the summer when we only have the screen and he hears stuff. I tell him to go to his place, usually in a grumpy voice because he woke me. LOL. It works for us. Don't be afraid to tell your dog what you want and enforce it a few times. Get out of your bed and put him back on his pointedly.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I'd make him go lie down. As long as it isn't medical and he doesn't have to go to the bathroom then just tell him to go back to bed. Eli sometimes gets up especially in the summer when we only have the screen and he hears stuff. I tell to go to his place, usually in a grumpy voice because he woke me. LOL. It works for us. Don't be afraid to tell your dog what you want and enforce it a few times. Get out of your bed and put him back on his pointedly.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I know he has me trained. I can't crate him. His previous owner crated him and he does not tolerate a crate well at all. He sleeps in our room. I am gonna try putting him on the laundry room tonight and try ignoring him.
In terms of what is going to be easier on him and on you, I would think crating next to your bed is a better option than evicting him from your bedroom.

Rachael does the "I Just Wanna Get Up!" thing every once in a while. If she has a need, I am more than happy to meet it. If I get up with her and she goes out to survey the yard (and doesn't have an actual need), she comes in and gets to spend the rest of the night in her crate (as versed to under the covers)... that's what it costs to wake me up for nothin'!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In terms of what is going to be easier on him and on you, I would think crating next to your bed is a better option than evicting him from your bedroom.

Rachael does the "I Just Wanna Get Up!" thing every once in a while. If she has a need, I am more than happy to meet it. If I get up with her and she goes out to survey the yard (and doesn't have an actual need), she comes in and gets to spend the rest of the night in her crate (as versed to under the covers)... that's what it costs to wake me up for nothin'!
I can't crate him. Believe me he goes absolutely nuts in a crate. I'm talking about banging himself against the crate, chewing the floor of a crate and chewing the sides, etc., so that is not an option. I will try just making him stay in his bed and if that doesn't work I'll just try the laundry room. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and he does NOT get any treats for this behavior. I realize he has me trained and it is up to me to deal with it. I just didn't know if anyone else had this problem or if there were any natural sleep aids for a dog? I can not use Benadryl because he gets sick and I do not want to medicate him with Xanax or anything like that. That's why I asked about natural remedies. I will give the tough love a try and see what happens. Thanks again to those who offered advice so far.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Magnum used to have me trained pretty well to get up at night. 12, 3, and 6, could almost set a clock by it. He was somewhat new to the house when this started, so to make sure there were no accidents I got trained quickly. After a short time of his wanting to go out just to patrol I was over it. Took 2 nights of telling him to go to bed when he would wake me. He gave up after a couple of nights....

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you have tried him in a crate before did you reward the hell out of him for going in? Cookies cookies galore while inside. Try it when it isn't at night to begin so you can go back to the crate and reward the hell out of him again. Even if he doesn't feel at home you may be able to reward him into loving it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
When you have tried him in a crate before did you reward the hell out of him for going in? Cookies cookies galore while inside. Try it when it isn't at night to begin so you can go back to the crate and reward the hell out of him again. Even if he doesn't feel at home you may be able to reward him into loving it.
I'll explain the crate situation. His first owner kept him crated for eight hours a day. He never properly crate trained him. He was honest and told me he had no idea that he would be so energetic. He got him on a Friday and let him sleep with him and he stayed home with him the whole weekend. Then when he went to work on Monday he stuck him in a crate. I asked if he or his breeder had crate trained him and that's when he told me he just stuck him in there when he went to work. I got him when he was about 18 months old because his owner said he worked long hours and he didn't have time to do any training with him. He said he ate thru the crate, chewed on the wire sides of it, etc. He also said he tore up the house from boredom if he left him out of the crate. He is now six and I've never had a problem with him tearing up anything BUT I've provided him tons of exercise from the first day I got him. I tried crate training him the exact same way I did our female, but he never grasped it. Like I said he freaks out. I think since he was crated so much the first 18 months of his life without proper exercise and lack of crate training has scarred him.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
What time do you give him the thyroid medication? It should be given in the morning (just in case you aren't), as it can make people more hyper... also, please don't look to "drugging" or even natural sleep aids as a solution - first try to figure out the problem. If you put him in the laundry room, he may just cry or pace all night, feeling you have rejected him. How early do you get up in the morning, because 9:30 or 10 PM is pretty early for a last outing if he has to stay quiet for more than 7 or 8 hours. Is it possible to install a doggie door so he can go outside if he needs to? Since you have had him for 4 1/2 years now, is this a new behavior? How long has he been on thyroid replacement therapy?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What time do you give him the thyroid medication? It should be given in the morning (just in case you aren't), as it can make people more hyper... also, please don't look to "drugging" or even natural sleep aids as a solution - first try to figure out the problem. If you put him in the laundry room, he may just cry or pace all night, feeling you have rejected him. How early do you get up in the morning, because 9:30 or 10 PM is pretty early for a last outing if he has to stay quiet for more than 7 or 8 hours. Is it possible to install a doggie door so he can go outside if he needs to? Since you have had him for 4 1/2 years now, is this a new behavior? How long has he been on thyroid replacement therapy?
He takes his thyroid pill morning at 6:30 and night at 6:30. I won't put him in the laundry room. He's been on thyroid pills for about 3 1/2 years. We don't really want to put in a doggie door because we live in a wooded area and don't want uninvited critters coming in. He has had this behavior for the last several months and has seen the vet a couple of times because I know any change in behavior warrants a vet visit. My vet is very good and has lots of experience with dobes, so I trust him. We usually get up a little before 6:30 for the day. For the past couple of weeks we have been going back to bed after I give him his pill because I am so sleep deprived. If we do go back to bed we get back up at 7:30 or so. I am at a loss. If tough love and increased exercise at night doesn't work, I will take him back to the vet. He hasn't gained or lost any weight, he has a great appetite, water intake hasn't changed, etc., and like I said his yearly checkup he just had went great. So we'll see what happens. Thanks. If anyone else has any words of wisdom I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
You can get the type of doggie door that is operated by a magnet thing (sorry not very technical) that is around your dogs neck. When he wants to go out it allows him to do so and vice versa but any other critter that comes to the door unless they are wearing the magnet thingy around their neck cannot get in.

My boy does not sleep very well at night, he is hyper all the time, for the most part he just wants to go outside and bark, bark, bark and bark some more at heaven only knows what. Usually he sleeps inside, my Terriers sleep outside, (on the Terrace, their choice). When alone in the house he is not crated with the door closed, he can sleep inside it or outside it, it really doesnt matter, however, the moment the Terriers come inside to sleep the door is closed. I have now sort of come to an arrangement with Toby. From 11pm to around 3am he is allowed out at night to do his stuff. At around 3am he goes quiet, I guess he runs out of things to say at this point. So up I get and bring him in and the Terriers go out. Toby then sleeps through till whatever time I get up and can oversee him with the Terriers (we have had issues with male on male aggression so if I am not there they are seperated) Thankfully I have no neighbours so the only person disturbed by his barking is me and I have earplugs. If my Terriers suddenly set up in the night whilst Toby is out talking to the world I know there is something wrong so I get up.
It is not ideal but it beats me trying to stay up with him or being disturbed when I am trying to quieten him down.
In your dogs case he may be just wanting to check all is okay, Toby and my Terriers do this constantly, if this is the case with your boy, look into the doggie doors that come with the magnet collar attachments which as I have said will allow your dog the freedom to go in and out by himself but not allow other critters in.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sofia has always done a bed check. At least once a night. Sometimes we get up with her to make sure she doesn't need to go potty. 9x out of 10, she heads right back to 'her spot' on the sofa in the living room. Maybe Natdobe is just 'on duty' and doing night patrol like Sofia does.. she has to make sure all is well and will go back to sleep. Try ignoring it and just telling him 'sweet dreams, see you in the morning.'

·
Registered
49 Posts
hiya natdobe, just wondering how you are going on with your boy!!
i have a boy who starts exactly 2 hours after i go to bed, demanding i get up and lay with him, this has gone on for so long now i really don't know how the hell i am going to break this habbit now.
i know its my fault, but somewhere along the line you have to take into account neighbours and rest of the family.

any advise off you guys would be brill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts