Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around a ton of dobermans in my life and I've fostered a red girl a few years ago, but I had NO idea about nose bumps! Gunner bumps me CONSTANTLY. If he's tired, I get bumped. If he's playful, I'm poked. If he's worried about something, I've got a cold nose stabbing me. Is this something unique to him, or do most of your dobes do this? It was funny at first, but now it's almost obsessive! Sometimes he'll walk by and just randomly poke me and keep walking. He doesn't do it to the kids or anyone else. I really don't know what to thnk about it. Most of the time I don't mind, but honestly a big cold wet nose is hard to take first thing in the morning.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Oliver does it when he gets wild and playful. His is more like a torpedo ramming you. He aims for your crotch or butt. He runs up, jabs, runs back, and tries to come at you again. We are trying to discourage this behavior, but it is funny and he has such a funny look on his face. He only does it to my husband, the next door neighbor (he's over a couple of times a day and loves Oliver), and me. The female we had did it to everyone that came in the door, she only aimed for your butt and was very gentle. One poke and gone. It was kind of like her handshake. If you tried to avoid her, she would continue until she got you.

· Registered
72 Posts
Reasons for Nose Poking:
- "you're so new, but i can't hold still to sniff you properly!"
- "I'm so excited, and my wiggle-bum can't hold still!"
- "I kinda wanna give you a kiss, but not really..."
- "did you see what I did? watch me do it again!"
- "I don't know you, but I want a cookie"

Reasons for Poke-and-Hold/head rest:
- "feed me"
- "let me outside"
- "my water dish is empty"
- "I would like up on the bed, please"
- "pet me"
- "I farted"

· Registered
10 Posts
Our Dobe is constantly poking my boyfriend and myself with his nose too.

If we are walking down the hallway to the bathroom he is always right behind and if I stop I get the nose right in the bum.

I think Dobes are just an extremely loyal breed and are always checking to make sure that their owners are safe and ok. Its like they want our constant reassurance 24/7.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
When I'm sitting at my desk working in my office my female is poking me with her nose for kisses,or she wants to leave my office, or she just wants me to talk to her. She also nose bumps us when she wants to go out we can't get the patio door open fast enough LOL!

I'm always giving her kisses on her nose and head.:)

It's a red head thing :)

· Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,935 Posts
For the most part pokes actually annoy me a bit because they seem pushy, so I don't reward them with attention and discourage them. (Silas usually uses pokes if he is bored/wants something.) But I do love the lay-my-head-on-your-lap/arm-and-give-you-soulful-look move. It doesn't always work to get him what he wants, but I will give him love if he's not being too annoying about it. ;)

Actually Scout is a master poker, too - she'll walk up, deliberately poke-poke-poke your leg and look up all cute, wagging. She usually wants up on your lap then. Again, I don't reward this one ever, but P does so she continues to use this on occasion with me just in case I cave like he does. LOL...

· joie de vivre
11,463 Posts
I love the nose bumps. I look at nose bumps as a sweet, non-verbal way of them getting my attention. Fiona used to bark at me and punch me as a pup (it took a while to stop her doing that), so the nose bumps are welcome.

Usually Fiona nose bumps me when she wants to show me something. I'll get a gentle bump, make eye contact, and then she'll lead me off to show me something. It's soooo cute. Kinda like, "Hey Brigette, you should see this." Fiona also nose bumps to tattle on other dogs. If Tali or Rupert (brother's dog) is doing something Fiona knows I don't allow, she'll race up to me, nose bump me, and then race back to them. She's such a tattle tale. It cracks me up!

Tali is the one that tends to nose bump me to do things for her. She'll bump me and then lead me to the food bin, or to a toy she can see that I've put up, or to the back door to go out, etc. She also brings me things though when she can get to what she wants - like her jammies and their brush. :)

· Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,935 Posts
I love the nose bumps. I look at nose bumps as a sweet, non-verbal way of them getting my attention. Fiona used to bark at me and punch me as a pup (it took a while to stop her doing that), so the nose bumps are welcome.

Usually Fiona nose bumps me when she wants to show me something. I'll get a gentle bump, make eye contact, and then she'll lead me off to show me something. It's soooo cute. Kinda like, "Hey Brigette, you should see this." Fiona also nose bumps to tattle on other dogs. If Tali or Rupert (brother's dog) is doing something Fiona knows I don't allow, she'll race up to me, nose bump me, and then race back to them. She's such a tattle tale. It cracks me up!

Tali is the one that tends to nose bump me to do things for her. She'll bump me and then lead me to the food bin, or to a toy she can see that I've put up, or to the back door to go out, etc. She also brings me things though when she can get to what she wants - like her jammies and their brush. :)
The way you describe nose bumps would be less annoying. ;) Now that I have discouraged "I'm BORED" nose bumps, when Silas needs water/go out etc he sits right at my side and either does lay-head-on-you move or just stares at me until I respond. :D

· joie de vivre
11,463 Posts
The way you describe nose bumps would be less annoying. ;) Now that I have discouraged "I'm BORED" nose bumps, when Silas needs water/go out etc he sits right at my side and either does lay-head-on-you move or just stares at me until I respond. :D
LOL!! Staring at me DRIVES ME CRAZY! I won't allow that unless it's the loving stare while we cuddle. But if either of them just stand or sit in front of me and stare they're told to "Go on" and I will make them lay down facing away from me if they don't find something else to do. Can't. Stand. It. LOL

I find it amusing how different dogs use the bumps for different things. I really think if Tali could get to everything she wants, the only use she'd have left for me would be cuddling. :D

· Registered
2,816 Posts
Chase nose bumps the crotch area when he greets new people. He has done this ever since i picked him up from his previous owner. I don't like it because the new people take offence to it, but i also dont mind it because thats actually a polite gesture in 'doggy' language, and Chase has trust issues with men and select strangers. I usually just apologise for the nose poke, and that Chase only meant it as a 'hello'.

He will always nuzzle my hand when we are out for walks, I thinks its a way to say: 'Im uncertain about this area, is it ok?'. Usually, all it takes is for me to hold his eye contact for 2 seconds and he relaxes.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, nice to know I'm not alone :) I don't really mind it. He's not rude about it or pushy in any way. It's just contant gentle little pokes. It's almost like a form of affection or something...at least that's how it comes across. It's almost like a little "hi,mom" just whenever he walks by. Now if he's upset or needs something, the pokes are more intense and frantic so I get the hint that something is going on. I would much rather deal with this than frequent barking though so I guess I'll just have to get used to that cold nose ;)

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
2,495 Posts
Lol, just the other day the bf and I were having some *cough* private time and all of a sudden he jumps forward and yelps a little, well Luci had come up behind him and he got a cold nose shoved firmly up between his legs........startled would be putting it mildly but the look on his face was priceless. I burst out laughing, couldn't help it :D

· Registered
72 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention - nose pokes, although typically geared towards people, are often used with innanimate objects to make them do her bidding...
For example:

push nose into food bowl, step back, shove nose into food bowl and hold.... food should be coming soon now...

or

poke door knob with nose, pace around like an idiot, poke door knob again, and again.... maybe another for good measure, then stare intermittently between door knob and whomever is in the room. Surely the door will open soon?

oh, and can't forget...

shove nose in pillow... snarfle... shove, shove... make stupid sounds... this is funny! Get excited, bounce around to make sure everyone in the room is watching, then ram face into pillow again, making stupid sounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.