Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 month old, red female, Berlin, who seems extra skinny. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about when females fill in completely. Although she is a little taller than standard at 27in., she is still SUPER skinny, weighing in at only 53lbs. People ask all the time if she is a Greyhound! Don't get me wrong, she is beautiful & elegant, but I am wondering if she is going to fill in at all, or just stay on the petite side. She is on a raw food diet, and was spayed at 7 months (controversial, I know! and maybe the reason she isn't filling out?! I was convinced by the "breast cancer" angle) Her father was enormous, but her mother was on the petite side. Thoughts??

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
She is really lanky/slight, but looks to be a nice weight for her frame? You cant really tell much since she is sitting. A couple other photos of her standing of the side would be best. Welcome :wavey:

·
joie de vivre
11,241 Posts
She's still young. She'll likely continue to gradually fill out.

How much does she eat? What does she eat? And what's her daily exercise/play like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more pics

She does seem proportionate in weight vs. frame, I've just been wondering because I've seen 10 month old females who have 20lbs on her! Maybe I got the runt of the litter?!

Attachments

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
She does seem proportionate in weight vs. frame, I've just been wondering because I've seen 10 month old females who have 20lbs on her! Maybe I got the runt of the litter?!
You can't call a 27" bitch a runt. ;)

I don't think she has particularly heavy bone for her height, so while she may bulk up some, I doubt she's ever going to have a lot of body.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
She would be a lot shorter if her front had more angulation and then it would make sense. My 24" bitch weighs 52lb in agility weight with her last 2-3 ribs showing clearly. She is a bit straight in the shoulder too, but her chest comes to her elbows (just).

She is not skinny - I can't see her ribs - she looks to be in healthy weight. In a year or 2, she will fill out a little, but not a lot - not enough to make her look like a 75lb heavyweight. I am sorry, but generally bitches that weigh 75lb at 10 mths ( and, yes, of course there are exceptions) are overweight. Her chest will possibly drop a bit further too and that will add weight.

Right now, she is a slow maturer, and you are doing a good job keeping excess weight off her. I wouldn't call her a runt, I think she is lovely and looks to have a terrific nature & personality. Such a sweetie and such a pretty color too!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Are you positive she's 27"? I only ask because my 27.25" bitch while not refined, could use more bone, and she's 72 lbs. At 70, she's too skinny and I can't imagine a 20 lb difference at that height.

Not all 27" dogs are obviously built the same so maybe she really is 27". She looks to be very fine boned and refined to me which would explain some if it anyway. She's very cute!

Reactions: vivienne00
1 - 7 of 7 Posts