Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the 'normal' energy level is for a dobe...I know they are supposed to be fairly active from all my research and from what I read here it is true, so I am wondering if I should be concerned.

I got Simon about two months ago. When he came he was limping and ended up having a torn cruciate....but before his surgery he was never really all that active, hed run and play for about ten minutes when I got home and that was that. Now he is recovering from the surgery and has to be crated all the time so I don't know if I'm overworrying.

I know that hypothyroidism results in decreased energy levels as well as lots of other problems..he drinks plenty of water but is not hardly interested in his food. The only thing that really gets him excited is his milkbones. Half the time he'd rather keep his toy in his mouth than take a treat. I feed him breakfast and he eats when I come home from work. He crys when he is crated but I find that if I come and sit with him he will lay right down and go to sleep. He also has bouts of diarreha (sp) and vomits occasionally especially after he drinks. I've brought it up to the vet and he thinks it could still be new home jitters and I put him on riduculously expensive (for the nutrition) Purina EN for his upset tummy. Thankfully hes not gaining or losing weight. Lastly, he doesn't play by himself either...he has to have his squeaky toy at all times but he just keeps it in his mouth or squeaks it like crazy to get my attention. No interest in the kong, rope, or anything (he used to love the rope).

Basically I'm wodering if hes just a lazy 2 year old or could have thyroid or other problems, or just still in pain/depressed from his leg. Any suggestions would be helpful..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Some dobermans are picky eaters from what I understand. Mine have all been chow hounds, but I know some that aren't. Cole isn't really interested in any toys except outside he loves his frisbee and inside he prefers squeakies. I wouldn't be to concerned about not liking a variety of toys. That said, I would still get his thyroid checked only because we all should since they are so prone to hypothyroid. It is something that is so easily and cheaply controlled that it is worth it to me just to make sure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How long ago was his surgery? It could be that he's uncomfortable from surgery although it's tough to say since you're not sure of his activity level before he injured himself. Have you talked with your vet about this?

Having a thyroid test run certainly wouldn't hurt. I had a thyroid antibody panel run on Ava last month w/Dr. Jean Dodds and she recommended that Dobermans be tested yearly because of the frequency in which it shows up in the breed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts