Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are planning on moving to another place and we have a blue dobie that could easily pass for a weim (he has natural ears and a long tail dock).

We are considering a place and haven't asked if they have breed restrictions yet. If someone doesn't say there are breed restrictions and can't recognize that our dog is a dobie, what do you guys think about not saying anything? Not saying we would lie, but if he didn't ask? Do you think it could backfire on us if he never stated that there were breed restrictions?...we are planning on supplying references for our dog anyway (from people that have witnessed his behavior, etc)

Please don't scream at me for this, we haven't done it yet and were just toying with the idea and figured we would ask...the place is a duplex so it wouldn't be a big building.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I have seen lots of posters here talk about how they would lie about the breed.

I personally think that's lame and kinda sucks, because, well, it's a lie, and because it could absolutely come back to bite ya one day (no pun intended) and also because it takes away an opportunity for a good Doberman to be a breed ambassador, in the hands of a responsible owner.

I really think some of this BSL stuff borders on a civil rights issue--that certain groups of owners of X breed are being discriminated against in a blanket way--and we need to step up and speak out about it.

I give my insurance business only to companies who don't use a "dangerous dog" list, for example.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Someone once said, "Don't give answers to questions that aren't asked."
But, then again, you don't want to find out after you have planned on moving in or have moved in that there is a problem. I would say to not bring it up, but let them meet your dog. If they ask, then tell them the truth but otherwise no need to offer the information, especially before they have had a chance to see how nicely behaved your dog is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone once said, "Don't give answers to questions that aren't asked."
But, then again, you don't want to find out after you have planned on moving in or have moved in that there is a problem. I would say to not bring it up, but let them meet your dog. If they ask, then tell them the truth but otherwise no need to offer the information, especially before they have had a chance to see how nicely behaved your dog is.
I definitely want the guy to meet our dog and see how wonderful he is (because he really is good at proving himself to people!). Again, I don't have reason to believe at this point that the guy does have breed restrictions so I don't feel like I am being deceitful...we will play it by ear and see if he even cares.

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,479 Posts
There are several threads you might could find that talk about finding an apartment or rental property with a doberman in tow. Try googling "rental with doberman" or something like that and click on the Dobermantalk threads that show up--that would probably be easier than using our search engine in this case.

The suggestions usually made include going to private landlords who are trying to rent just a couple of units; looking for a rental house instead of an apartment; getting certifications and obedience titles to show to prospective landlords (I know you mentioned references--a good idea, especially from a professional trainer type if you know any). Generally individuals renting just a couple of units will have fewer rules and more flexibility than a large agency or rental complex.

I know when you buy a house, and try to get insurance, some companies have "dangerous dog lists" and some will insure someone regardless of their dog's breed. State Farm is a name I see mentioned as being open to the idea of insuring houses of doberman owners. Many apartment complexes will have their own insurance and that is the reason they give for not allowing "dangerous" dogs.

Now, to your question. Personally, if the apartment landlord NEVER asks what kind of dog you have, I think you can pursue the rental. If the apartment has rules, the landlord is the one who should do his work and investigate your dog type if he needs to. Make sure he actually sees your dog though, before you try to rent. He should have the opportunity to decide whether your dog is a problem type in his mind, according to his regulations--you will get the opportunity to show how well behaved and polite your dog is.

If he ASKS what breed your dog is, I think you must tell him the truth. I believe if you don't, you could be liable and uncovered by the complex's insurance if there are problems with your dog's behavior. You should inquire on your own about individual private renter's insurance. It's been a long time since I've been in that market, but there may be some product which would cover your dog (like the correct home-owners policy does) in the event of problems--if there is, you can use the fact that you have such a policy to reassure your landlord that you will be good tenants.

Good luck finding the perfect place!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the plan is going to be to make sure he meets Beau before and to tell him if he asks. Ideally he will see Beau's cute mug and immediately approve :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't know how the rentals around you work but when we were shopping around here they wont take your word for what the breed of the dog is, you needed to bring in papers from the vet. If you already have your dog established as a doberman it'd be kind of weird to ask them to lie/change that for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how the rentals around you work but when we were shopping around here they wont take your word for what the breed of the dog is, you needed to bring in papers from the vet. If you already have your dog established as a doberman it'd be kind of weird to ask them to lie/change that for you.
He is listed as a dobie on all of his paperwork and we would never ask them to change that, gets into some sketchy territory there in my opinion.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What I did with my dogs is I wrote up a little "resume" detailing their size, temperament, tricks, certifications, references and vet records. But I never stipulated their breeds. Honestly, most people assume they are Labs and don't ask, so I don't tell. I have had bad experiences with being upfront.
For example, I was talking to one guy who was very excited about how wonderful me and my dogs sounded. He commented on how he was fine with my dogs he just didnt want any of those aggressive breeds, like dobermans or rottweilers, that attack people. I kindly told him that my dogs were in fact dobermans, and he said, "oh well I wont rent to people like you."

Its a hard thing to deal with, but personally I wouldn't offer it unless it is asked. its not lying if the landlord doesn't care enough to ask? plus lots have insurance reasons for not letting Dobermans in, so if they don't ask it might be because they don't want to know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I did with my dogs is I wrote up a little "resume" detailing their size, temperament, tricks, certifications, references and vet records. But I never stipulated their breeds. Honestly, most people assume they are Labs and don't ask, so I don't tell. I have had bad experiences with being upfront.
For example, I was talking to one guy who was very excited about how wonderful me and my dogs sounded. He commented on how he was fine with my dogs he just didnt want any of those aggressive breeds, like dobermans or rottweilers, that attack people. I kindly told him that my dogs were in fact dobermans, and he said, "oh well I wont rent to people like you."

Its a hard thing to deal with, but personally I wouldn't offer it unless it is asked. its not lying if the landlord doesn't care enough to ask? plus lots have insurance reasons for not letting Dobermans in, so if they don't ask it might be because they don't want to know.
Man, maybe we should get working on Beau's resume, as of now all we have is:

Couch Hog Extraordinaire
Snuggler of the Year Award
Best Fetcher at the dog park
The "I will let any dog take my ball and just wander around and wait for them to drop it instead of getting angry" award
Best De-stressor after a long day award

:) we love our pound puppy but maybe we should work on some accolades that weren't awarded by us or our friends :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
He is listed as a dobie on all of his paperwork and we would never ask them to change that, gets into some sketchy territory there in my opinion.
Meh, not saying I did it, I don't even have a dog. Just saying if you wanted to do what you asked about in the OP and the rentals around you are similar to the rentals around me, that is what you would have to do to make it actually work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Meh, not saying I did it, I don't even have a dog. Just saying if you wanted to do what you asked about in the OP and the rentals around you are similar to the rentals around me, that is what you would have to do to make it actually work.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to make it sound like you did anything, just saying that we wouldn't do it. We would stay in the place that we currently live if it became issue enough to not find another place...our current landlord is great about dobies

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
If he doesnt stipulate NO DOBES on the lease then by law he cannot expect you to read his mind and act upon what you find there. In other words if it doesnt say in the contract no dogs of this or that breed or type, ie dogs considered dangerous then he cannot expect you to assume there is. Neither can he use your none disclosure of owning a so called 'dangerous dog breed' against you if he hasnt given you forewarning that he expects you to divulge ownership.
In other words, if he doesnt ask, don't offer to tell.
Now this might seem dishonest, however, think of it this way, in order for a defence lawyer to defend say OJ Simpson or Ted Bundy or whoever the hell springs to mind they have to avoid asking their client if they did the crime they are standing trial for. Because if they did, they would be honour bound not to represent him because they would surely be influenced by knowing their client is guilty and therefore it would show up in their defence. In other words they wouldnt try their best to get him off.

Okay, I admit we legal types are not always the most honest of people and sometimes we do come over as shysters, but hey, it is the legal types that write out the contracts so it is surely the likes who know how to get round them.

As far as letting him meet your boy. There are 2 schools of thought on this.

1st. If the landlord is willing to accept dogs in his complex would you go to the effort of introducing your boy to him if he were a Lab say? Maybe, maybe not, however, let me put this to you. If he doesn't ask to meet him and the complex allows dogs and the contract doesnt stipulate no Dobes etc, why go through the introduction stage when it could so easily give him the opportunity to reject you. Fact is 99% of folk would not bother with the introductions if he were a Lab or a Tibetan Terrier but here you are saying, 'oh I intend to introduce my boy to him so he can see how nice he is.' Now I am not saying you are not telling the truth when it comes to how loveable your boy is, he looks such a cutey but then I am biased as I am owned by a Dobe and they have a way of making you see past the bullchip stereotyping faster than you can say 'Stars in their eyes' and fall in love with the whole lot of them not just yours. However, by making a big deal out of introducing him to the landlord you are actually giving him room for doubt. So if it says 'Dogs Allowed' and doesnt say 'No Dangerous Breeds' in my humble opinion I wouldnt make a big deal out of owning a Dobe full stop.

The introductions once you have a contract can come later. By the way, I would like to stipulate once more if the contract does not specify 'no dangerous breeds' etc he cannot then pull this out of his hat at a later date and try and evict you on ownership of one However, there is nothing to say he won't try to evict you for some other reason but then this applies to any lease etc but from my experience you are just as protected if not slightly more than the landlord when it comes to the reasons why you can or cannot be evicted.

2nd. By introducing him to your lovely boy you are giving him the opportunity to see past the bullchip stereotyping and see for himself he is a wonderful well behaved dog who won't be a problem.

The choice of course is yours and yours alone.

Regards the old excuse of 'No Dobes because our insurance company wont cover them. If you have your own insurance which stipulates coverage for said Dobe then this argument is somewhat mute, though of course they will try say it isn't.

(I can only advise regarding UK law, but contract law is much the same from what I have seen in the US as it is there so hopefully my advice is pertinent)

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I actually had an apartment complex's leasing agent tell me to lie about my fawn Dobe and call him a Weim mix. I'd gone in for a tour a week after this company had added Dobermans to their banned breed list. I didn't find out until after I toured the complex, and the leasing agent told me about their new bans, right before she told me to get a note from the vet and just lie about his breed.

When I asked her what I should do if someone in the complex identified Logan as a Doberman, she brushed it off. But basically, if I had chosen to lie about his breed, they could evict me if my dog caused a problem and someone complained. I knew he was on the banned breed list before I signed the lease. His vet records, county dog license, and training records had him as a Doberman too. Even though the leasing agent told me to lie about it, it's my word against theirs if another resident had identified him as a Doberman. So I turned the place down.

About that insurance thing. Homeowner's insurance and landlord's property insurance won't cover a renter's possessions. If you rent, you should buy your own renter's insurance in case something happens. State Farm gets my business because they don't ban breeds.

However, landlords can be held liable if their tenant's dog bites someone and causes an injury. That liability does vary by state. Dog Bite Law has a good summary and a few articles about it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everybody has great advice (I knew I would be asking in the right place!)
Toby'sHuman-I never thought about the fact that most other dogs never have to do the meet and greet with the landlord and that asking him if we should do that might raise suspicions about our dogs behavior...good to think about...

River-I think I would have turned that place down too, just would make me constantly worry that someone was going to "turn us in" and we would have to move out.

The only problem that we face now is that we are trying to set up this lease for June (we aren't moving in right away) so I want to make sure he brings a copy of the lease agreement when we meet him so that we can look it over.

Thanks again guys, helps a lot!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,479 Posts
I can see the logic in the argument about whether to have a landlord meet your dog--ie, why should your dog be treated differently than any other dog? My main concern was that you don't go to all the trouble of packing, changing your address, moving.......only to get to the new place and be turned away immediately. Then connections with your old place have been severed and your planned new place won't take you and you're sitting there with a moving truck full of your possessions with no place to go.

Maybe that's the problem taken to the extreme, but that's the kind of thinking my pessimism leads me to. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts