Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently decided with some help from DT that I want to get Tanner's temperament evaluated to see if training in SchH may be an option for us as she is getting bored of obedience.

So I called 9 different "Behaviorists" and None would touch her because she was

A: A Doberman

B: We were interested in SchH

Bahh I was so insulted we don't have a club here and the nearest one I could find online is in Thunderbay Ont. for GSD's

I feel so cheated hahaha

They Obviously don't want my fab dobergirl showing up their labs but really is anyone experiencing this problem?????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried SchH trainers but the ones I found only work with Mals/ GSD's

So I tired Behaviorist that do evaluations and we got turned down :(

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Those behaviorists sound a little like prima donnas (which is nicer to say than "wussies", or another word that rhymes with that). I don't know why you would be a behaviorist if you're concerned about a special breed or another, or if you're unreasonably concerned about a special kind of training. Are these board certified veterinary behaviorists, or are they just playing them on TV?

Good luck in finding a club/trainer that works for you!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Schutzhund Manitoba W.D.A.
Contact Person: Gail Cielen
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 204-663-0567

Winnipeg Working Dog Club
Contact Person: Jim Chrisp
Phone: 204-344-5567

I would be surprised if Jim Chrisp wouldn't work with a Doberman.

Reactions: Tanner's

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Schutzhund Manitoba W.D.A.
Contact Person: Gail Cielen
Phone: 204-663-0567

Winnipeg Working Dog Club
Contact Person: Jim Chrisp
Phone: 204-344-5567

I would be surprised if Jim Chrisp wouldn't work with a Doberman.

Thanks!!!! I could only find two clubs 1 was through a GSD breeder and had no interest in us

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those behaviorists sound a little like prima donnas (which is nicer to say than "wussies", or another word that rhymes with that). I don't know why you would be a behaviorist if you're concerned about a special breed or another, or if you're unreasonably concerned about a special kind of training. Are these board certified veterinary behaviorists, or are they just playing them on TV?

Good luck in finding a club/trainer that works for you!

Well it 3 were "Canine Academy's " and when we went in it was mostly labs and goldens :/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought there was a Schh club in Winnipeg area. According to the GSSCC club site there are 2 clubs in Winnipeg.
Yeah we found 2 We were not able to get in touch with one by email or phone and the other worked with GSD's Okie gave me some email's so the adventure continues!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Sometimes you gotta just keep knocking at the door. I belong to the most hardcore Sch club in Canada and it is definitely a GSD club. The truth is that someone has to show strong desire. Go see if you can watch for a few sessions. Then keep going for a few months without being in a hurry to take you dog out. Make yourself useful. Then ask to have your dog looked at. It will also help you decide if you want to put that much of a commitment in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I for sure don't want to throw her into the mix straight away, especially with the way people I have met so far have reacted to a "rescued doberman" wanted to get evaluated lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts