Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripley still has incontince problems! She's been on Pronin since May 9 50mg in the AM 50mg in the PM. Hasn't even lightened up. Every morning there is one to three spots on her bed. I wipe her cage and bed and change her sheets every morning. She's always been on grain free food (now on Instinct since TOTW was having recalls). She's had tests and X-rays, nothing showed as a problem. I even took her to a chiropractor. She was very nice said there was a spot that she adjusted but it was much further up her spine then what was related to the bladder. I also tried fennel tea because fennel is known to mimic hormones she's missing because of spaying. All it has done is given her gas.
I've been to several vets and no one has a clue or wants to up the already maximum dose of Pronin. They don't seem to care either. I don't know what else to do. Everyone else that has used Pronin has seen results within the first week. What is wrong with Ripley?

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I don't have any answers for you - just sorry you are going through this. Have the vets offered to try DES (replacement hormones) instead of Proin?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I've heard you guys talk about it. Vets can't believe the incontince is from the spay at such a young age. Not sure what to say or do to make them believe I'm not making it up or am torturing her by giving her no option but to pee her bed.
I know it's trial and error on things, but this is just crazy. I feel bad she has to lay on her bed like that. I've waken up in the middle of the night because I have to use the bathroom and I'll check on her. Sometimes she has already peed her bed, most times I have to 'drag' her out of the cage to go outside so she doesn't have an accident.
Anyway thanks for letting me babble...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would seriously look at switching to DES. Pronin did nothing for my RIP girl only DES showed perfect results. Now my current girl is having issues and I use Pronin which does ok, But I also put apple cider vinegar in her water and add yogurt to her food every couple days. ( those are supposed to help with vaginitis and help with urinary incont ) and it seems to be doing pretty good.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I would seriously look at switching to DES. Pronin did nothing for my RIP girl only DES showed perfect results. Now my current girl is having issues and I use Pronin
These exact words apply to my situation as well. DES can be weaned down to a level that works for your dog, and is often used in conjunction with Proin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We use both, it seems that we did better when we would go back & forth between 'em when one became less effective. That was when we started. We now have it "down pat" for Shadow but has taken a couple of years to get the "right" combo. For us, the DES is only twice a week with a lower dose of Proin everyday.
Shadow developed the problem at 8, she's now 13, and the Devil Dog (testing God's patience now) was very young, just over 2 when she went on the Proin. With her we also found that the Proin seemed to lose some of it's effectiveness or just didn't work as well over time. Vet (who helped us get Shadow under control) had us use the DES every once in a while in place of the Proin and she was doing well at the time, with a much lower dose of both than what Shadow gets.
We did end up cleaning/washing the bedding an awful lot to begin with but no more problems with that thankfully.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Until you can get the dosage and medication figured out how about dog diapers I used them on my Papillon the last year or so of her life. I used the baby wipes with aloe vera on them to keep her clean I bought the cloth type panties for dogs and used women s incontinent pads. Kept her clean all night ,she usually slept on the carpet so kept the carpet clean less washing.Good Luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Patches Mom for reminding me of the pads!
I would add that for the bedding we got the pads and put them in under the cover, that way we only had to wash the cover after an "accident" and only did all the bedding about once a week.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Thanks Patches Mom for reminding me of the pads!
I would add that for the bedding we got the pads and put them in under the cover, that way we only had to wash the cover after an "accident" and only did all the bedding about once a week.
that's a good idea, maybe try the twin bed plastic covers or toddler covers as well. That way you can just rinse and clean it up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, my rip girl was given DES in a loading dose, 3 pills a day ( I think ) tapered down to 1 pill a day, they to 1 a week... then on my own I weaned her down to 1 pill every 3 months and that was so awesome ! Never had another issue with incontinence when she was on DES

But my current girl, well, I admit I havent been giving her enough or just plain forgetting. Went to bed a few nights ago, she got in her crate. But sometime during the night she snuck up and lay beside me. I woke up about 4 am feeling weird. Get up and the bed is COMPLETELY soaked ! I am not talking a dinner plate sized puddle, I am talking , the wet spot was 3 feet by 3 feet wide..OMG soaked thru the bedspread, to the mattress. And on top of that I was soaked ! BLAH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts