Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I believe Odin is allergic to sweet potato and TOTW pretty much has it in all of there different bags expect for one. So I have to say good bye to that brand, he started to break out really bad I had not given him anything extra. Just when it looked like the hives were starting to go away they would come back again and again. So I looked at the ingredients and saw that there was sweet potato.

I had figured out he was allergic when I was feeding him a treat that had sweet potato as a main ingredient. I don't know why he didn't break out sooner with TOTW, or to think of it with any of the other brands that had sweet potato in them.

I already found out that he was allergic to carrots after I fed him a handful of them when training and her REALLY broke out in hives. I figured that sweet potato is in some what in relation to carrots with vitamin A and carotene.

I hard switched him to Canidae Pure Elements Grain Free Dog Food, if this doesn't work out I think I might look into feeding him raw now that he is a little older. Or trying out acana again or orijen, I really don't want to feed purina. But if I try it and he does good on it I guess that will have to do, for now I guess more research of feeding RAW and looking up other dog foods.

I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any suggestions thanks for reading ;)

Reactions: Wylde

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ahh, that stinks ! nothing more frustrating than food issues. I also had to switch from TOTW

You might also try Natures Recipe, its a middle of the road food, but has no wheat, beef, corn or fillers. No carrots or sweet potato. Their Venison and Rice is great as well as the Lamb and rice.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah thanks, I will add that to the list to look at. I just feel like when I look into RAW feeding that I am way over my head. Especially sense I have to keep him at a show weight. It really narrows it down when I am looking for a grain free kibble with no carrots or sweet potato >_<

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well after 2 days of intense searching I think I found a kibble that Odin will do good on. I am going to feed him Natures Variety Instinct, he can have 4 of the 5 flavors they offer. I took a look at all the other brands and they all had carrots or sweet potato in them. If I found a brand that didn't only 1 flavor of a bunch would be edible for Odin.

So we will see how it goes and see if his gas will finally go away, at first I thought it was just to high quality of food for him to process but I think it had to do with him not agreeing with the sweet potato in all the kibbles that I was feeding him.

Cross your fingers, if this doesn't work I will just feed him RAW.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sorry I didnt see your thread sooner. I was going to suggest NVI as it is the best allergy formula I have found. Especially without even being sold as an "allergy" formula. Did you look at the Acana Duck & Pear? It might have sweet potato, cant remember now. I am going to try it with Parker...oh yeah, it has oats, so not grainfree. I am going to try it, tho, as it is a single source protein and those are hard to find. NVI is putting salmon in a lot of their formulas and I dont want to feed it so much Parker develops and allergy to it. NVI now has a turkey limited ingredient now, too.:) I think you will love the NVI, Shadow, as it is a really good food. The 70% meat is after processing, too, not before.:) Another one you might try is Back to Basics. It does have flax and Parker turned itcy on it, darnit. But if Odin can have flax, the formulas are pretty simple. I found Dr Mercolas Digestive Enzymes helpful for Parkers extreme butt licking, would probably help gas, too. Not bad at $35 or so for 3 containers.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Forgot to mention, the reason I wanted to feed Back to Basics was the Pork formula, another protein source! :) They also have a duck and a turkey formula. Check out what the Dog Food Advisor site says.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LindaH for the reply, unfortunatly acana and orejin are out of the question. Every formula has either carrots or sweet potatoes. I fed my last dobe on NVI and he did really well with that brand. It's the only brand where Odin can have variety, he can have 4 out 5 of the formulas. So after he finishes up this last bag of food I got him we are making the switch to NVI.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My Mom's yorkie is having yeast issues so we switched her from Acana to a grain free potato free formula. Yea easier said than done. NVI is pretty much the only one you can buy around here.

I had made a list of grain free potato free foods, mad that I cant find it now.

But of course, Go raw and dont look back!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I have a book that I am going to buy on raw. It's still to overwhelming for me to start on raw. I need to wrap my head around it better before I start.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yeah, NVI is hard to beat. It is my favorite of all the dog foods I have used. I do want to mention that Back to Basics is carrot and potato free, both sweet and regular. It uses tapioca as a binder like NVI. The only negative is the use of pea protein, but they seem to have plenty of meat in the Turkey formula. Didnt check the Pork or Duck for meat content. Supposed to be human grade ingredients, too. Just adding this for educational purposes.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a lot of books on raw, but I usually find myself reading the internet. I have lots of links if you want them :)
that would be awesome

Yeah, NVI is hard to beat. It is my favorite of all the dog foods I have used. I do want to mention that Back to Basics is carrot and potato free, both sweet and regular. It uses tapioca as a binder like NVI. The only negative is the use of pea protein, but they seem to have plenty of meat in the Turkey formula. Didnt check the Pork or Duck for meat content. Supposed to be human grade ingredients, too. Just adding this for educational purposes.
Thanks, all the info helps but I don't think I have seen Back to Basics in any of the stores I have gone to, but I will keep my eyes open for it.

Reactions: LindaH
1 - 13 of 13 Posts