Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my three and a half month dobie when i bring him outside he runs around he chases me but when i stop and take break he still sniffs around but when i go to get him to go inside he just runs away then lays down and keeps doing that when i try to grab him. he does it when im at a field or backyard just about everywhere. i give him a firm "stop it" but he just keeps running. when he does that he usually picks something off the ground like popsicle sticks in the field . So my question is he just playing or not listening

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
He is a puppy, and wants to have fun. Have you enrolled into and puppy classes?

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
How much activity does he get outside.?
How often do you take him for a walk?
He is just playing.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
3.5 month old is probably just playing.
But the first few months, playing together (building the incredible bond) with puppy, general training and mental stimulating game excercises....solve many problems.
- its the early period, that takes all the fun work...for the ownership to be a "piece of cake" later

^^^^ Nmbr1Ballr - congrats on puppy !!
a) Basic commands come easier once the fun loving bond is established.
I do this by daily playing, sitting on the living room floor...first I want the pup to respond to my voice and keep eye focus on me.
I avoid treats for training, so I will gently guide a pup into a sit with my hand & use a hand signal for stay...tap the floor with my hand to get puppy down.
- with loads of love and praise
b) If you don't want pup up on the couch, shouldn't let it be there, in the first place / mine sure loves furniture, and is respectful of its own leather love seat.
- my pup earned privileges when its good / learn to listen to me, it can even go out the side door ahead of me & I feel they sense the cause & effect relationship
c) I use the word "ITCH" to discourage puppy destructive chewing...in a stern voice / love and praise immediately following compliance.
d) A few days to a few weeks, pup should know basic commands...other than a solid recall.
After I train inside the house, than I redo exercises outside where there are many more distractions and I can proof our lessons.

More reading.
See my puppy training post:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68153-feisty-bugger.html
A good training website:
www.leerberg.com

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I agree you should get in a basic puppy class with your little guy to work on training stuff.

In the short term, I'd not take him out off lead to huge areas- put him on a long line so he can run and run and play, but you can call him in (to a reward). This will be the beginning of a baby recall. Your saying stop and chasing him is just reinforcing his "keep away" behavior. I keep treats in my pocket, or a tug toy - when you notice pup is coming toward you anyway, say Fido come in an excited voice and then praise like crazy when he comes in to you. Give treat or tug a little to reward this as well. Puppies should think coming to you is the best thing in the world!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts