Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 7 year old has developed this on one of his pads. This happened very quickly, like overnight. On the bottom of his foot, it’s like the pad has separated and pushed out about an inch from the pad. I have never seen anything like it and don’t even know how to explain it. We took him to the vet and he wasn’t sure either. He was going to do more research. Meanwhile they put him on antibiotics for a week to help with any infection. It’s not overly painful, he’s still walking normally. Any help would be appreciated, I don’t even know where to start researching. He’s an indoor dog, but goes on daily walks so I don’t think it was an outdoor injury.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Whoa, I wasn't expecting to see that. At first thought you might be describing an interdigital cyst, but that doesn't look like one. Just not sure. Where do you live? May be something that lives in the soil? I have never seen anything like that, but perhaps someone else can give insight.

Reactions: 4x4bike ped

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We live in Oklahoma, in a subdivision. Nothing out of the ordinary. It’s definitely strange, I’m hoping someone can give me some insight.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
One of my Dobes had something like that but it was on the big pad back of the toes. It started out as a swelling kind of on one side of the pad and eventually started to split the pad--by that time we had a report back for the pathologist on the chunk of it we'd sent to him. His suggestion to my vet was to resect the swelling down to what would be normal for the pad leaving the skin on the pad intact and suture it back in place.

It was also a benign 'process'--wasn't even really a tumor--an inflamatory process caused the flesh to start to grow--my vet just removed the excess--stitched him back up and I kept him bandaged a week while the area healed enough to remove the sutures and then for another couple of weeks while it finished healing. He did limp on that foot but once it was removed he stopped limping and it never grew back. I don't have his file here so I don't have any details really but no one, even the pathologist had even seen anything quite like it.

dobebug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts