Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blood pressure is way up. Tonight at the park the kids, Gunner, and I were walking on some of the trails. A man riding a bike rode past us slowly and stared at Gunner. It kind of made me nervous so we kept walking without saying anything. Then I heard him stop and he called "How much you want for him?" I said "excuse me?" He said "Your doberman. I got cash. 100? 200?" I shook my head, "He's not for sale" and started to keep walking. This dude FOLLOWS me refusing to give up. "Okay, how about 300?" I looked him square in the eye because at this point I was pissed. My 5 year old was freaking out yelling, "Mommy, please don't sell Gunner!" He has a behaviour disorder and is very attached to Gunner so I know he was getting really upset. I stared at the man and very firmly said, "He's NOT for sell." The man laughed and said, "Everything has a price...I've been wanting a big mean dog like that." Okay, that sent me over the edge and Gunner was getting tense too. I picked up my phone and called 911. By this point I was really afraid. We were in a secluded spot, this man was dressed like a thug, and he clearly wasn't respecting what I said. I was alone with two young kids, and I had enough. The man freaked when he heard what I was doing, cursed at me, and rode off. I gave the cops a good description of him so hopefully he won't bother anyone else. I swear what is wrong with people?!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man.. Sketchy.

I encourage Juno to growl at sketchy folks like that :)

Hope you four are okay!
Gunner handled it well. I kept my voice firm but calm. If I had panicked any more I'm sure he would have gone off. He squared up in front of me and was staring the man down...he was one step from going into full growl/bark mode. He showed a lot of restraint though which actually impressed me. I think he judged it well and was definitely on alert :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had a guy offer me $3000 for Diesel one day and wouldn't back down. Diesel was getting pissed at him and I let him. This guy was sketchy and freaking me out and Diesel wasn't a fan of him at all. He actually barked at him at one point and his hair was up. He was sitting in front of me staring the guy down. Luckily this guy just walked away but it's so annoying when you're very clear that your dog is NOT for sale.

I don't know what these people think that we just walk around with a dog that we want to sell. Ugh! this makes me mad just thinking about it and your poor son. What an ass. I'm sorry that happened and you did the right thing. Hopefully that guy gets lost and doesn't bother you or anyone else anymore.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I wouldnt be visiting the park area for awhile. Change up your walks elsewhere.
You will have a difficult time, handling yourself, protecting your child (also unwanted trauma for him to experience) and protecting Gunner, in the event he has a knife. Especially if LEO tracked him down and had words with him.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I had Bella at a pet adoption event today and people kept asking me if she was available. It is a little different situation than yours, but there were people seriously interested in taking my baby home. I went mainly to see if they had the usual vendors that have been at some of the other events around us, and to keep Bella socialized around other dogs. Its quite interesting to see how persistent people can be

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe we all need to get bandanas for our dogs that say "I'm NOT for sale!"

Olivia-Thats another reason I like to carry a gun. In secluded spots you never know what kind of weirdos you will run into!
I have a gun but it was in my car of course :rolleyesww: We were just taking a quick walk on some back trails and I had nowhere to put it so I didn't even consider taking it. I'm going to have to get a small pepper spray or something to carry all the time.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldnt be visiting the park area for awhile. Change up your walks elsewhere.
You will have a difficult time, handling yourself, protecting your child (also unwanted trauma for him to experience) and protecting Gunner, in the event he has a knife. Especially if LEO tracked him down and had words with him.
Yes, I will be staying in the populated areas from now on. I had my 5 year old, my 2 year old, and the dog. I was an easy target I'm sure and that guy acted really weird. Anyone who is that pushy and rude makes me extremely nervous.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Oh my gosh! How frightening!

I was driving home one day and stopped for gas in a small town that I didn't know. I took Dreizehn out to release himself and as I did this larger man noticed us and called to me saying I had a "real nice looking dog." I thanked him and he then asked what I wanted for him while starting to approach me. I tried not to freak out but Dreizehn must have noticed since he put himself in front of me with his hackles raised. The guy backed off VERY quickly after that and, of course, I praised Dreizehn. It was scary! I don't know what I would have done had the guy tried to push it!

Glad you, Gunnar, and the kids are okay!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am so glad that you and your love ones are safe. It is so sad that we as dog owners cant enjoy our walks without bothered by some idiot.

Just bought a Ruger 380 LCP for my son to use as a backup, he will be graduating from police academy in 3 weeks. Love the size so easy to put in your pocket no one will ever know, I will be going to pick me one up next week. So much easier to carry then my 5 shot.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
So glad you are all okay and that you had the foresight to have your phone on you and to call the police.

Whilst I havent had anyone offer to buy Toby from me, I have met my fair share of nut jobs whilst out and about. The main thing that they seem to do here is pick up a large rock and start shouting at you whilst walking towards you in a confrontational manner. Of course they are usually telling me off for having him out and about, despite him being leashed and muzzled. I have learnt very quickly how to take off Toby's muzzle if someone continues to walk towards me after I tell them to stop and shut up. (Politeness doesnt come into it when telling someone to be quiet in Spanish it is either 'shut up' or 'calm down'. ) If they continue to walk towards me, (rock in hand mind) I tell them Toby is a trained personal protection dog. This usually gets them to stop. Of course Toby isn't, he is too blooming reactive and I am too lazy (lol) to put that much work into him, but he is a good boy and plays the part if nothing else.

On a different note, my neighbour came up to work on his trees today (at stupid o'clock in the early morning, it's cooler) and of course the dogs barked their heads off at him as he walked by our compound fence. I went out to see what they were barking at and saw him and he came over to chat. Toby, Jack and Russell were telling him off something chronic. Of course the Terriers are of no consequence to this lot, they think they are comical, (little do they know) but a Dobe standing his ground giving you verbal is a different matter, so I called Toby to my side, told him to sit and blooming heck, he did it without so much as a muff. My neighbour was so impressed and whilst he still maintains he doesnt ever want to meet him other than through a fence he went away suitably impressed. :D

Stay safe.

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
Goodness that must have been scary! Pepper spray sounds like a great plan. I think I'll get some too =) I was in downtown Seattle a month ago and wished I had some when I was leaving the concert... I definitely would have felt much less nervous if I had my girl with me. You did the right thing calling 911, that's ridiculous someone would keep harassing you like that... Your poor kids! I'm sure if it came down to it Gunner would have had your back =) Thank Goodness it didn't come to anything bad where he might have gotten hurt too.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
He's still a baby, but in another year or so, when he's a bit more confident of his role, his warning rumbles will impress pretty much anyone who gives you a hard time. Meanwhile, you're right to not want to be in less populous areas with all 3 young'uns... leaves you potentially vulnerable, and him too young to really know what to do. And yeah... what kind of a moron offers $200-300 for a Doberman? A creep AND a cheapskate?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have a gun but it was in my car of course :rolleyesww: We were just taking a quick walk on some back trails and I had nowhere to put it so I didn't even consider taking it. I'm going to have to get a small pepper spray or something to carry all the time.
You should get one of those fanny packs they are great.
I have one. It has 2 pockets. In the smaller front pocket I have treats for the boys. In the bigger back pocket I have a Glock 26. Should I need it.
Take care.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I like the pepper spray idea. I had one, can't find it now. I've also thought about getting one of those stun wands with the higher voltage.
I really glad you are okay. U R right, he was a real creep. Glad you called 911.
Stay safe. :(

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Man.. Sketchy.

I encourage Juno to growl at sketchy folks like that :)

Hope you four are okay!
^^^^ +1
I believe in winding a dog up, for the not so friendly weird-O's.
- using keys words, like "watch" or "get-him" while holding the dog leash
I want to see the hackles up / on the back rump & front shoulders/back

I am very sorry you ladies have to go through this BS, with the freeks out there.
I am very proud of Gunner, Diesel, Juno and other DT dobes, that place themselves between their mama and the rude intruder...and ready to act.

OliviaB - since your already a hand gun owner, I would get a small .22 cal. and keep it on yourself.
- very sad, your oldest son, had to hear the for-sale offer and wittness the aftermath
- very smart move, calling 911

1 - 20 of 29 Posts